Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
cugrizz
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)
Sep 17, 2012

So I am going to buy my first DSLR. I have been doing some research and I was planning to buy the Nikon D5100. I feel like it has everything that I would want for some better photography.

However, I was just offered a Canon 350D with 3 lenses (18-55, 50mm, and 55-250) and a crumpler bag. Price would be 500 dollars.

I know the 350D is an older camera, but it has only a few thousand pictures taken. But again, it is much older than the 5100. But, I have been told that even older DSLR cameras are better than my current p/s. So would it be ideal to just get the newer camera with the kit lens (18-55) or get the older camera with many lenses? Not sure what is the ideal move.

(also I am not a canon or nikon brand loyalist so either brand is ok with me)

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,271Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)
In reply to cugrizz, Sep 17, 2012

cugrizz wrote:

So I am going to buy my first DSLR. I have been doing some research and I was planning to buy the Nikon D5100. I feel like it has everything that I would want for some better photography.

However, I was just offered a Canon 350D with 3 lenses (18-55, 50mm, and 55-250) and a crumpler bag. Price would be 500 dollars.

I know the 350D is an older camera, but it has only a few thousand pictures taken. But again, it is much older than the 5100. But, I have been told that even older DSLR cameras are better than my current p/s. So would it be ideal to just get the newer camera with the kit lens (18-55) or get the older camera with many lenses? Not sure what is the ideal move.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

The 350D is indeed an old camera in the context of DSLR development. It has 8 megapixels and gets noisy over ISO 800. Also, I suspect that the 18-55 is the original one, which has poor sharpness and isn't stabilized. So while it's better than some P&S cameras it may not be better than, say, an S100.

So unless you need the money to keep a roof over your head, I'd go with the D5100, which can produce dramatically better pictures than a 350D.
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,545Gear list
Like?

Another way to look at this -

You can get the D5100 and have to put off buying any additional lenses for a while.

You can get the old Rebel outfit and start budgeting for updating the body.

I think either route is viable, this still comes down to whether you prefer Canon or Nikon, not 350D vs D5100.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,641
Like?

cugrizz wrote:

I was just offered a Canon 350D with 3 lenses (18-55, 50mm, and 55-250) and a crumpler bag. Price would be 500 dollars.

That seems high to me.

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

Interesting dilemma. The thing is, the Canon body is old and the lenses cheapjack. You CAN take fine pictures with 8 megapixels (I was using 6 megapixels for a long time). But if you were out-and-out for quality only the prime 50mm looks going to give it to you...

photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,965Gear list
Like?
Depends on your total budget
In reply to cugrizz, Sep 18, 2012

Good pictures can be taken with older cameras, the new ones offer a couple of advantages, particularly low light ISO; the price seems all right and you'd be getting a huge range and a fast prime. Whether you go with Nikon depends on the price for a similar setup.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
cugrizz
Like?
In reply to cugrizz, Sep 27, 2012

Thank you all for the replies.

I decided to go with the D5100 kit. I will start with the kit lens and then hopefully get a 18-105/200 or 16-85 in the future and a fast prime as well.

I figured if it would cost about the same I should get the newer camera as I could have it around longer, most likely. And, I like it's feature set.

I feel I got a good deal at 600,000W (536.31USD) for the kit, kata bag, and some other small things like uv filter, etc. It was slightly used with 2165 shutter actuations. But the new ones were over 100 dollars more so I figured why not save the money with so little use on it.

I can't wait to use it this weekend! Thanks again. I am sure I will have more dumb beginner questions for you at some point.

Philip Kendall
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?

cugrizz wrote:

I feel I got a good deal at 600,000W (536.31USD) for the kit, kata bag, and some other small things like uv filter, etc.

Put the UV filter in a drawer somewhere and don't take it out; digital cameras have very little need for UV filter - all that cheap ones will do is lower your image quality.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,147
Like?
As a Canon user...

I would go for the D5100. It is a leap ahead of the 350D and back when I had a 350D it was the camera I was looking at upgrading to. The group of lenses you list with the 350D are not an expensive set to get. I got the 18-55IS for $50 second hand, the 55-250IS for $140 and saw the 50mm F1.8 recently for $60 (which would probably have been 45 to 50 after beating down) so while they are good bang for buck lenses they don't justify getting older tech. You would probably get the urge to get better lenses soon enough anyway. Besides, at the moment you could probably get a 450D and an 18-55IS for around $400 now (I have seen them) and get a better rig. Don't get me wrong, the 350D served me well but it is a bit long in the tooth now but then the last body I got was a 550D for $480 so I could be a little spoiled in my opinion. It was when I was entertaining the D5100 but a bargain fell in my lap and made up my mind. Then again since then I have seen 600Ds for around $500 so the merry-go-round continues.

As far as the Nikon equivalent lenses are concerned I have seen all of the kit standard lenses around for pretty similar prices as the Canons but again you could wind up upgrading them in the end anyway.

So basically if it came down to the two it would have to be the D5100 if only for the larger screen but you could just look around just a little more, be a little more patient and wait for a better bargain on a better camera.

cugrizz wrote:

Any thoughts? Thank you.

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,147
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Sep 27, 2012

Leonard Migliore wrote:

cugrizz wrote:

Any thoughts? Thank you.

The 350D is indeed an old camera in the context of DSLR development. It has 8 megapixels and gets noisy over ISO 800. Also, I suspect that the 18-55 is the original one, which has poor sharpness and isn't stabilized. So while it's better than some P&S cameras it may not be better than, say, an S100.

Absolutely agree there. First thing I did back in the days of the 350D was trade in the new non-IS lens for the IS version second hand. Much better glass and I never regretted it.

So unless you need the money to keep a roof over your head, I'd go with the D5100, which can produce dramatically better pictures than a 350D.
--
Leonard Migliore

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

cugrizz
Like?
In reply to Philip Kendall, Sep 28, 2012

Philip Kendall wrote:

cugrizz wrote:

I feel I got a good deal at 600,000W (536.31USD) for the kit, kata bag, and some other small things like uv filter, etc.

Put the UV filter in a drawer somewhere and don't take it out; digital cameras have very little need for UV filter - all that cheap ones will do is lower your image quality.

Noted. Thank you. Should I have gone with a polarized filter or is that a waste as well?

six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?
In reply to cugrizz, Sep 28, 2012

For the D5100 your cost will be:

D5100 - $650 Body + 18-55 VR (special at bhphoto thats supposed to end tomorrow 29th)

55-200 - $250 (and there is another special wich saves you another $100 i.e $800 vs. $900 if you buy D5100+18-55+55-200 by tomorrow. Amazon may have the same specials.)

50 1.8G - $220 (nice lens for the money, however my personal choice would be the 35 1.8 DX lens for about the same $, prefer a 50mm FOV equivalent but its personal choice).

About $1000-1100 as opposed to $500 for the 350D. Would make an argument that the 5100 + lenses would be a better choice with respect to noise, sharpness, etc.

In any instance have fun with your new camera Canon or Nikon.
--
Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads