Almost ran into this guy in my yard

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
Ceci Land
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Almost ran into this guy in my yard
Sep 17, 2012

If I had, I probably would have squealed like a little girl and danced a jig running around yard while slapping myself all over. (Probably would have been a fun show for the neighbors though) Whew, that was close! Next investment...a tripod. This shot was almost impossible. The danged spider was hanging upside down and backlit. (Panasonic G5, 45mm macro and handheld)

Ceci Land's gear list:Ceci Land's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086
Like?
Re: Almost ran into this guy in my yard
In reply to Ceci Land, Sep 17, 2012

That's a very nice shot of a pretty terrifying spider! How big is it, and where in the world do you live??

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ceci Land
Like?
In reply to Pete Berry, Sep 17, 2012

It's a spiny backed orb spider. (I didn't know until after I took the picture, but I just had to google it. I'm guessing it was around a 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide (a little less than 1.5cm) and quite rotund. So it's not that big actually. I'd seen the web a couple of days ago (But already forgot it was there) and at the time I hoped it was a garden spider's home since they're really huge and should make for fairly easy macro shots. So I was surprised when I saw this squat spider in the web instead.

I live in the southeastern US. Apparently it's native to the area and from what I gather, fairly common. It's just the first time I've ever seen one.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
kaw209
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

I nearly did the same thing in my yard this weekend!

Pete--they're Spiny Orb Weavers, and although they aren't terribly large (about the size of a nickel, max?), they appear in droves during the fall and build their webs in the most annoying places

Don't know where the OP is located, but I'm in Chas, SC, so maybe they're only found in the southern US? I don't recall seeing these when I was growing up in St. Louis.

edit--took too much time to post, as usual!
--
Kim

If everything happens for a reason, what's the reason?!
http://flickr.com/photos/kaw209

kaw209's gear list:kaw209's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086
Like?
In reply to kaw209, Sep 17, 2012

kaw209 wrote:

I nearly did the same thing in my yard this weekend!

Pete--they're Spiny Orb Weavers, and although they aren't terribly large (about the size of a nickel, max?), they appear in droves during the fall and build their webs in the most annoying places

Don't know where the OP is located, but I'm in Chas, SC, so maybe they're only found in the southern US? I don't recall seeing these when I was growing up in St. Louis.

edit--took too much time to post, as usual!
--
Kim

I grew up in Atlanta, but spent large parts of the summers in the later '40's - mid '50's at my grandmother's "plantation" on St. Simon's I., GA, right on the Frederica River, and never saw one of those spiny buggers! Had I, it would have probably ended up in my sainted sister's pillow one night for a fine bit of midnight drama!

Pete

Ceci Land
Like?

Sweet photo. I like the red spikes on yours.

I grew up in the south and never ran into one until yesterday. Go figure. I'm in MS so I bet you're right and they're a southern thing. I did bounce around the country outside of the south for twenty years, so I'll say that's my excuse for not seeing one before.

When you're staring at that squat carapace through a macro, did you get the same notion I did?...it looks like a freaking planetoid! It's curved and even has holes in it. Gotta love manual focus assist/magnify.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
mrxak
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

That might've been a hard shot to take, but consider yourself lucky. I've got some gorgeous orb weavers hanging around my house, literally dozens of them, but they only come out at night, and they only spin their webs real close to my windows. Eventually, I'm going to figure out how to shoot them. Very light-shy, and the windows are a problem I can't quite figure out how to get around.

Oh well, some day.

mrxak's gear list:mrxak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
kaw209
Like?

Ceci Land wrote:

Sweet photo. I like the red spikes on yours.

Thanks! They're quite colorful; I saw a picture of one online that was bright yellow instead of white!

I grew up in the south and never ran into one until yesterday. Go figure. I'm in MS so I bet you're right and they're a southern thing. I did bounce around the country outside of the south for twenty years, so I'll say that's my excuse for not seeing one before.

When you're staring at that squat carapace through a macro, did you get the same notion I did?...it looks like a freaking planetoid! It's curved and even has holes in it. Gotta love manual focus assist/magnify.

I have to confess to not getting THAT close of a look at it--I was using the PL 45mm f2.8 macro lens and could therefore use AF. Now I'll have to use one of my manual-focus macro lenses and go hunt for another one, just to get the "out of this world" experience I think they resemble crabs and I used to call them "crab spiders" before I found out there's a completely different type of spider that is called a crab spider.

-- hide signature --

Kim

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
kaw209
Like?
In reply to mrxak, Sep 17, 2012

mrxak wrote:

That might've been a hard shot to take, but consider yourself lucky. I've got some gorgeous orb weavers hanging around my house, literally dozens of them, but they only come out at night, and they only spin their webs real close to my windows. Eventually, I'm going to figure out how to shoot them. Very light-shy, and the windows are a problem I can't quite figure out how to get around.

Oh well, some day.

Try looking at it this way: because your orb-weavers are 'considerate' enough to build their webs close to your windows, you're lucky that you don't have to worry about accidentally walking through one

-- hide signature --

Kim

mrxak
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

kaw209 wrote:

mrxak wrote:

Oh well, some day.

Try looking at it this way: because your orb-weavers are 'considerate' enough to build their webs close to your windows, you're lucky that you don't have to worry about accidentally walking through one

Well they certainly love me. I live in a wet area, so lots of bugs, and the light from my windows draws so many insects into their webs, it's unbelievable. The spiders don't really need to compete. Even with overlapping webs in some cases, they're all getting plenty to eat. They can really pick and choose which of the dozens of insects caught in their webs that they want to snack on, on any particular night.

I would like to get them identified, but it's hard without a decent photograph.

mrxak's gear list:mrxak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Ceci Land
Like?
In reply to mrxak, Sep 18, 2012

mrxak wrote:

Oh well, some day.

I had no idea. I was grousing about the bad lighting, but it appears that I should have been happy instead. It was dusk, but early enough that the light was almost bright enough. It was on a web between my fence and a thicket/tree line. So it was in shade too.

I'd be frustrated if I had seen something so nifty, but always at night when I couldn't get a picture. Here's hoping you get your chance.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Bob Topp
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ceci Land, Sep 18, 2012

I have yet to see one in northern Alabama or southern Tennessee, but confess, I would be hard put to get close enough to get a good look! Now you're tempting me to go searching (with maybe a 200 mm lens for safe distance!). Thanks for the entertaining post.
--
Bob Topp

Bob Topp's gear list:Bob Topp's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +21 more
billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Topp, Sep 18, 2012

Good photo. Are they dangerous spiders?

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
kaw209
Like?
In reply to billbourd, Sep 19, 2012

Nope, not dangerous at all.

billbourd wrote:

Good photo. Are they dangerous spiders?

-- hide signature --

Kim

rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,262
Like?
In reply to kaw209, Sep 19, 2012

I have lived in north Georgia all my life except for WW11 and never have seen anything like this spider. And I stayed outdoors all the time I could all my life.
--

Eternity was in that moment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads