I cannot believe I am asking this.....

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions
jameas
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
I cannot believe I am asking this.....
Sep 16, 2012

I always cringe when I see members post questions like "what lens should I take to wherever I'm going.....". I cannot help thinking that surely (if the individual has a number of lenses to choose from) they would have a good idea what they should take given their traveling conditions - a decision that must be taken every time they leave the house/caravan/motorhome/house boat etc..

I cannot believe that any city/town/place would command "such and such lens" in order to reach the photographic nirvana to be so desired.

So here is my dilemma. We (i.e. the family - Mr and Mrs E and girl,15 and boy, 11) are off to Venice for five days in late October. Should I (as I would usually do) take my 5DII and (lens selection made on the basis on low payload) the 24-105 (general use) and Sigma 50mm 1.4 (evening, low light - and lighter lens) - I can feel myself running away with my self here - or...........

Just take the X100.

And just for maximum creativity, (just one) speedlite (430EXII over the 580EXII), ND2-400 filter, Yongnuo RF-600TX/RF-602RX wireless transmitter/receiver and a light tripod.

I know. I can hear you all say it. 35mm lens.

"It will make you a better photographer" versus "but you will need to zoom and change lenses"

Frankly, I think I an looking forward to some freedom. And becoming a better photographer.....

Be kind.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
johnbandry
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?
Putting your quandry another way...
In reply to jameas, Sep 16, 2012

Do you, on a short, family holiday, want to lug a few kilos of camera equipment with you and keep said family waiting everywhere while you capture those special photographs that require ultra low light capability or short tele lenses,

or do you travel light, get some great photos as mementos where and when you can and keep everyone happy, leaving the serious photography of Venice for a dedicated trip when you have the time (more than 5 days?) and freedom to indulge yourself?

Mmm, tough call.
--
John Bandry

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Goob13
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Re: I cannot believe I am asking this.....

I have been to Venice many times and the x100 would be perfect. Lots of narrow passageways and canals so you will be glad not to be carrying a lot of bulk.

alexandre_k
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

X100…

-- hide signature --

Regards, Alexandre

alexandre_k's gear list:alexandre_k's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Putting your quandry another way...
In reply to johnbandry, Sep 16, 2012

Here's an idea. Sell you 5dmk2 and get a Nex 5n or 7 with a SEL18200. Ultimate do it all lens and easily slung on a shoulder. Here are some various pics I've taken with it while traveling.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
awelch100
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

Considering that Venice has been photographed to death, I would leave your high-end arsenal at home and bring the X100. Maybe it's relative limitations will force you to get creative...

awelch100's gear list:awelch100's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Bashar AbdRabbou
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?

The X100 has a built in ND filter that you can assign to a function key... Flashes?! The X100 2000 sync speed is more than sufficient, unless you are on a specific mission..... the X-100, extra battery and your photographer artist inside, leave the rest of the crap at home, you are there to enjoy not to assemble/carry gear, unless someone is paying you for an assignment or something....

Charuteiro
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
Like?
Re: Putting your quandry another way...
In reply to Tommygun45, Sep 16, 2012

I like the reflection in the sunglasses in the first picture!

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,347
Like?

Using a fixed lens does not make everyone a "better photographer", especially if you only have one - "zooming with your feet" in Venice will likely result in drowning. You could always take a few primes, but this normally ends up heavier than the zoom.

I've "done" Venice twice and walked the entire island both times. Both times I took a zoom and a prime or two, and only used the primes a few times out of guilt. I think only one of the "good" shots was a prime one. I used the zoom's entire focal length range on an hourly basis, but stopping in Venice to change lenses in a busy area is not easy.

Bear in mind that flash and tripods are not allowed in many buildings, esp. churches (where flash is not a lot of use anyway) so good ISO and IS will be more useful. Also the streets and canals are sometimes very narrow (24mm is a lot wider than 35mm) and sometimes you get a "grand vista" and want something longer. Similarly, a lot of the interested stuff on the canals needs a short tele. With wife and kids in tow I doubt you'll have time to change lenses or "reposition" endlessly (especially if shooting from a boat) so convenience wins in this case.

Not sure I'd bother with the 50 either, you have that covered, and I would not bother with a tripod. What I might do is take a gorillapod and the X100 instead (has to weigh less, right?) for doing some long-exposure night scenes, and so you can do a bit of quiet street photography without looking like a tourist and do the family shots in the restaurant with the built-in flash.

Note, I do like primes but I normally do the trad PJ thing of having two cameras, one with a wide normal, and one with a short tele. However, zooms are fine too. These days the IQ is pretty good, even if you can't get the same background blur, but then you don't get much with an X100, so....

jameas wrote:

I always cringe when I see members post questions like "what lens should I take to wherever I'm going.....". I cannot help thinking that surely (if the individual has a number of lenses to choose from) they would have a good idea what they should take given their traveling conditions - a decision that must be taken every time they leave the house/caravan/motorhome/house boat etc..

I cannot believe that any city/town/place would command "such and such lens" in order to reach the photographic nirvana to be so desired.

So here is my dilemma. We (i.e. the family - Mr and Mrs E and girl,15 and boy, 11) are off to Venice for five days in late October. Should I (as I would usually do) take my 5DII and (lens selection made on the basis on low payload) the 24-105 (general use) and Sigma 50mm 1.4 (evening, low light - and lighter lens) - I can feel myself running away with my self here - or...........

Just take the X100.

And just for maximum creativity, (just one) speedlite (430EXII over the 580EXII), ND2-400 filter, Yongnuo RF-600TX/RF-602RX wireless transmitter/receiver and a light tripod.

"It will make you a better photographer" versus "but you will need to zoom and change lenses"

Frankly, I think I an looking forward to some freedom. And becoming a better photographer.....

Be kind.

Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,611
Like?

Challenge yourself and get only the x100.

(I have done it and I was very happy with the results)

Charuteiro
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
Like?

X100. Enjoy the time with your family.

nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57even, Sep 16, 2012

If you plan on taking photos of buildings or their laneways, you're going to wish you had a 24 mm equivalent.

I'm all for taking only the X100 on vacation. It was perfect for my trip to Prague, Berlin, and London. However, in Venice, you're going to want to go wider sometimes.

Personally, I'd take the X100 and knowingly sacrifice those wide shots for the sake of your aching back, and time with your family. You know you're going to regret not being able to take a number of photos, but hey......it's a vacation, and you're with your family. They're going to appreciate it.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,110Gear list
Like?
X100

I've been to Venice twice and both times I took my 17-35.
If I had the X100 I would take that.

Don't be a photo/gear nerd and ruin your vacation carrying all that crap.

jameas wrote:

Just take the X100.

Be kind.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
boinkphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?

Take both. The X-Pro1 with 35mm is small enough that if you're willing to take the Canon plus lenses, having the Fuji isn't a big additional burden.

Seems like important enough of a trip that I wouldn't want the regret of not having the possible flexibility. That seems far more important than the regret of carrying too much (well, unless it gets stolen, but that's what insurance is for...).

-- hide signature --
skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?

you got all the answers it is for sure the X100 but if you have the money to spend on the WC for the X100 you are set up perfect. Forget all the other gear and enjoy that wonderful place with your family. Professionals go their without family and take someone with them to carry the gear
It's a place were 1000 photos means nothing if you have not enjoyed taking them.

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
Ross Kennedy
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: 35mm is not wide/flexible enough

Like a previous poster said, you can't zoom with your feet in Venice. It's the most beautiful city in the world...you need more than one lens to do it justice. Take the X100 and the 5D with a 28-70 zoom and you'll be covered.

Enjoy - it's a wonderful place. Try to get off the tourist trail into the backstreets of the quieter areas like Canareggio and you'll find some great little bars and restaurants.

Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
In reply to skimble, Sep 16, 2012

Listen man, I wasn't kidding. The 5n/7 with the 18200 will give you so much more versatility than just that fixed range. Sure, it might be a tiny bit smaller but believe me, the combo I am recommending is not heavy by any means. It'll give you wider (18mm) and you have the ability to zoom all the way out to 200, with excellent IQ.

Are you really going to want to be 'zooming with your feet' when you are with your family? No, you will want to stay by their side and use your hands to get the picture you want. For 1200 you can get the 5n right now, for 499, with the kit. Sell the kit for 150. You're at 350. Get the 18200 for 800 or so. 1150. And buy the Sigma 30 for a super light weight indoor/dinner get up and you are 100 over the x100. The Sig 30 can be carried in your pocket without you having any idea its their. Just a recommendation.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?

Just take the x100, it will be a liberating experience

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,589
Like?
In reply to fluxism, Sep 16, 2012

Venice is one of my favorite cities, but then again I have many. Whenever I'm traveling I always want a lighter smaller camera and great low light performance. I don't want to weigh myself down with lots of gear or a tripod. That's why I picked up the Xpro-1. It's the best of everything. Although if my choice was between a 5D and 24-105 and an X100, I'd pass on the 5D and go X100 all the way. If I want to go wider I'd do Pano Stitch. I've carried my 5D and a couple primes on a lot of trips, but it really just weighed me down and became a PIA. Now that I have a kid in tow it's that much more of a pain.

Now I just take an Xpro1 the 18 and 35. It's all I really need. I may add the 14mm to my bag at some point, but that's pretty much it.

jameas
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

Some interesting x100 vs 5DII responses - it would appear to be somewhat emotive!

I will reply to some of the points made tomorrow (somewhat late now here in the UK)

Keep them coming! This is the equivalent of gear rehab.........

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I get the urge to use Flickr....
James T Eastwood

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads