Updated specs on the EOS 6D

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions
cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 704
Like?
Semi "official" specs
In reply to cs hauser, Sep 17, 2012

Canonrumors has what it claims are "official" specs. They probably grabbed it from some internet store, so who knows if it's mistake-free.

Some notable changes from the rumored specs:

• 1/8000 max shutter speed, not 1/4000

• Touchscreen

• Tiime lapse recording (via PC)

• Weight: 770 grams with battery

Edit: Source was probably dpreview itself:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos6d

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,563
Like?
Re: Exposure.
In reply to qianp2k, Sep 17, 2012

qianp2k wrote:

I don't need and don't want to pull shadow 4-5 stops so it's not that critical to me.

In a correctly exposed shot you would rarely need to lift shadows...

The only reason a "correctly exposed" shot would not require shadow lifting is because the shadows are displayed dark per the tone curve applied to the photo.

Shadows are shadows as your eyes see.

Not even remotely true. There are many scenes where what I "see" is significantly different from the photo the camera records.

Exposure is displayed in histogram. Towards left is under-exposure while towards right is over-exposure.

It's a jpg histogram, unfortunately, instead of a RAW histogram.

...but look at it from the other side. You may wish to recover blown highlights.

This is impossible, by definition. Anything blown is blown. Period. What you can do, as you suggest in the paragraph immediately below, is use a lower exposure (as opposed to "underexpose") to preserve the highlights and then apply the appropriate tone curve to the photo.

Not quite true. You always can recover some details in highlights unless it’s well beyond 18% grey-level.

No. If a pixel is blown, it is blown. A blown pixel can be completely blown (all color channels beyond the saturation capacity of the pixel or pushed outside the bit depth of the capture file by the ISO setting), or partially blown, where one or two color channels are blown but the third is not.

If the camera offers you 4-5 stops cleaner shadows you can underexpose to save the highlights and pull the whole image back to what it should look like, without getting much noise.

As I said above, this is not "underexposure", but rather using a lower exposure to preserve the highlights, in combination with the desired tone curve to render the desired photo.

This is not a free ride but comes with the price of extra noises after lifting shadow. Your lower exposure is the same as under-exposure from the perspective of histogram as most people understand.

That's the whole point of a high DR sensor -- lower read noise means less noise penalty when pushing.

The whole notion of "underexposure" and "overexposure" only have meaning in terms of the visual properties of the final photo. An "underexposed" photo means that a higher exposure would have resulted in a better photo, and an "overexposed" photo means that a lower exposure would have resulted in a better photo.

From the perspective of histogram.

No -- from the perspective of the final photo. I have taken many photos where I intentionally blew much of the scene to have less noise for the portions of the scene that mattered more.

If a lower exposure results in a better photo, then the lower exposure is not "underexposed". This is more than semantics -- it is central to photography, and directly tied to the DR capabilities of the sensor.

That tactic (that exposed on highlights then pull shadows extremely) or extreme shadow pulling doesn’t result better photos as we have seen enough. It usually results to HDR surreal look and more noises in shadow areas. That usually destroys color tonality and accuracy.

Actually, I have seen numerous examples of quite the opposite. In fact, there was a thread posted here with many such outstanding examples of it, but it was pulled. Here's my thread where I asked the OP to repost his pics:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42251961

Unfortunately, the photographer never saw my thread. The "destruction of color tonality and accuracy" is a result of excessive read noise.

It doesn’t replace the traditional better photography techniques such as using GND filters on highlights and expose on mid-tone if you could.

Well, there's that "if you could" clause that causes problems with any scene where there is motion.

It’s largely the mid-tone determines IQ not shadows nor highlights areas.

Any photo taken at higher than base ISO has more and more of the photo in shadow. That's what the ISO control on the camera does -- it pushes the entire photo so that it has the desired brightness.

Personally I also more care highlight recovery and only need to pull shadow moderately on my taste.

Like I said, there's no such thing as "highlight recovery". A blown pixel is blown. What you can do is use a lower exposure and push the shadows with the desired tone curve if the highlights matter more than the noise. A sensor with more DR will have more lattitude in the amount of pushing that can be done before the noise becomes objectionable.

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,701Gear list
Like?
Re: Semi "official" specs

cs hauser wrote:

Edit: Source was probably dpreview itself:

yup .. lol .. dpreview really slipped up .. they have the 6D, G15 and SX50 HS already listed before canon's announcement.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/cameras

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Edymagno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848Gear list
Like?
Re: This can't be right. Why would anyone buy this when
In reply to rrccad, Sep 17, 2012

This is my reaction on other thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42511465

rrccad wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

they can get a 5D2 cheaper and a real camera for $2750?

5D2 .. not sold by canon anymore.

why would anyone purchase a rebel over a 60D or a 60D over a 7D then?

or for that matter why would anyone purchase a D600 over a D800?

I don't mind this ... first version of the 6D series .. canon will assuredly mark I it in a few years time .. curious on the shutter and blackout times . if they are better than the 5D2 .. and the body more responsive than the laggy 5D2 .. it's sure to do well.

Silvex
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
The D600 does. I'm surprised that the 6D doesn't have it.
In reply to Silvex, Sep 17, 2012

And so obviously the 6D has no wireless flash control.

shaunly
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
Re: Updated specs on the EOS 6D

I'm sorry but the 6D is a total FAIL! Seriously, fan boy needs to stop pulling every single excuse out there to defend this overpriced toy. The 5D2 is a MUCH better buy. I think the worse defend of all is about DR. You are seriously saying having high DR is pointless? Yea tell that to all the top pros that's been shooting with MF all these years.

This ridiculous. Nobody should buy this camera that way Canon will see the failed attempted then maybe they will actually go back to the drawing board and release an REAL camera for all their loyal customers.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers!

Shaun

DeFinitive
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
Re: Does it have MA ability?

I'm assuming it must have sitting between 7D & 5D.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/depinitibo/

Suave
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: This can't be right. Why would anyone buy this when
In reply to Rick Knepper, Sep 17, 2012

Smaller, lighter, likely better sensor, wi-fi, GPS, likely flash (for whatever reason someone wants it)...

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
pekr
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?
So much missing?

No built in flash, no swivel LCD, no stereo sound, most probably no HDMI raw output, 11 AF points?

That's just Canon - subpar on features and comfort, although good image quality. I wonder how it will compete against D600.

bradleyg5
Regular MemberPosts: 397
Like?
Re: Semi "official" specs

I still think people give Nikon too much credit for their AF, they have plenty of points but they have no cross point on the far right or left, this makes it difficult to shoot in portrait orientation as you are stuck with the slow horizontal only point.

This spec sheet and based off the rumours leads me to believe it will be 11 cross points at F/4 or higher with a double cross point in the centre at F/2.8 or higher. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I hope the video mode isn't any worse than the 5dIII, although I suspect it will be because it's not a high FPS shooter which implies the sensor readout wouldn't be as fast as the 5dIII, which was the reason they said it had reduced rolling shutter.

Honestly this seems like more of a 5d III and the 5d III that was released was more like a 4d or 3d since it had pro AF and fast burst shooting.

Still be nice if they would have given us a high MP sensor, 20MP is even lower than the 5dII

ossme
Contributing MemberPosts: 749Gear list
Like?
well
In reply to pekr, Sep 17, 2012

it got wifi, gps , and touch screen .. so at least it have items that the Nikon doesn't have ..

ossme's gear list:ossme's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +11 more
ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Hey, fanboys, where is you booo-ing and rage about 1/4000s shutter speed?

Just 2 days ago there was a lot of you saying how important to have 1/8000s ?
I've also heard that D600 39 AF s*cks.

Now I don't see any similar comment.

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Btw, can somebody explain me what is the use of WiFI on a camera?

I mean, my WiFi at home has max download speed of 1,8 Mb/sec.
With 32 GB card it will take an eternity to download photos.

Old 5Dmk2 + cabel is at least 3-4 times faster.
Newer Oly Pen1 downloads with 12Mb/sec.

cs hauser wrote:

Digicam-info.com was the original source of the leaked 6D specs. They have since quietly updated it with more information. Seems to be accurate, in light of the Adorama accidental leak:

• 20.2 MP @ 4.5 fps

• Brand new 11-pt AF system that is "strong" in low light

• 1/4000 max shutter speed

• Built-in GPS

• Built-in Wi-Fi

• Dust & Splash proof Magnesium Alloy Body

• Dimensions: 5.65" x 4.35" x 2.8"

• Weight: 755 g (with battery)

• SD cards only

• Viewfinder: 97% coverage and 0.71x magnification

• $2,099 introductory price

• December 2012 release date

Notice that the camera will be the same size as an EOS 40D, and in fact it will be lighter. The specs are rather underwhelming compared to the D600. Canon appears to be betting that the built-in Wifi and built-in GPS will justify the pedestrian specs on everything else. The Nikon D600 will require about $250 in clumsy external accessories for GPS and wifi connectivity.

I hope Canon will at least get creative with that built-in Wi-Fi. Providing aps for cellphones to remotely control the camera would be a start.

I'm hoping that the 11-pt AF system isn't as bad as it sounds. Hopefully they will all be cross-type, even if only the center point is f2.8. I'm also quite certain that there will be many (non-selectable) assist points in addition to those 11. Without assist points, an 11-pt AF system would actually be a downgrade from the original 5D, which had 15 total points. I don't think Canon will be so crazy as to take a further step back from the original EOS 5D AF system.

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
goshigoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 733
Like?
Re: well
In reply to ossme, Sep 17, 2012

my iphone has wifi/gps/touchscreen
do I really need them in a DSLR?
I prefer having more AF points in a FF DSLR

cs hauser
Like?
Re: Btw, can somebody explain me what is the use of WiFI on a camera?
In reply to ZAnton, Sep 17, 2012

ZAnton wrote:

I mean, my WiFi at home has max download speed of 1,8 Mb/sec.
With 32 GB card it will take an eternity to download photos.

Perhaps it would allow you to upload photos to your client's ipad in real time, as you are shooting. It's better than having them look over your shoulder at the little 3.0" screen.

Hopefully, there would be also an app to let you control your camera remotely with a cell phone. If the app supports Live View and CDAF via cellphone, that would be even better.

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
iPhone 6D

With GPS, WiFi and a touchscreen, you can browse web or email and use GoogleMaps for navigation. It even has a built-in camera! Sorry, it's a joke... very funny Canon!

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
cs hauser
Like?
DPReview throwing caution to the wind

I guess DPR doesn't care about the NDA anymore.

Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
Re: DPReview throwing caution to the wind

cs hauser wrote:

I guess DPR doesn't care about the NDA anymore.

Sold to me for 2000 bucks

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | EF 24-105L IS USM | EF 70-200L IS II USM | Extender 1.4x III | Speedlite 270EX
Olympus E-5 | ZD 12-60 SWD | ZD 50-200 SWD | ZD 150 F2 | ZD 50 Macro

http://www.muehlemann-pix.ch
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1125341

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +4 more
bradleyg5
Regular MemberPosts: 397
Like?

No flash sync port, that's kinda dumb. I guess everybody uses optical flash trigger or radio trigger anyway...

This camera is totally a new 5dII

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,990
Like?
In reply to bradleyg5, Sep 17, 2012

bradleyg5 wrote:

No flash sync port, that's kinda dumb. I guess everybody uses optical flash trigger or radio trigger anyway...

This camera is totally a new 5dII

Just like the 1000D was a new 400D and the 1100D was a new 450D. Just Canon doing what it has done at entry level - refresh an obsolescent model to give an entry level model, whereas Nikon has gone for developing something new at the bottom end, in both cases.
--
Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads