Adaptall-2 adapter

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions
TomFid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
Adaptall-2 adapter
Sep 16, 2012

I'm playing around with an old Tamron SP 400mm f/4 (monster tele: http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/65B.html ). The lens came without an adapter, so I bought a cheap RainbowImaging Adaptall-> mu4/3 adapter.

The adapter mounts OK, but it doesn't reach infinity focus. I think the distance between the faces of the adapter is OK, but the bayonet on the Adaptall side is too deep. When the adapter is mounted, there's a small space (maybe 1/3 of a mm) between the face of the adaptall mount on the lens and the face of the Rainbow adapter.

So, had anyone found a working Adaptall-> mu4/3 adapter? I was thinking of trying a Fotodiox next. If that fails, next option would be a genuine Tamron Pentax-k adapter, plus my Fotodiox PK-> mu4/3, which I know to be OK. Also, does anyone know whether Adaptall-2 mounts are compatible with the original Adaptall mount, assuming you don't need aperture or electronic controls?

Thanks for any insights.

Tom

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,904
Like?
Re: Adaptall-2 adapter
In reply to TomFid, Sep 16, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,506Gear list
Like?

When I have a infinity problem with adopted lens, I close aperture to 4.6-8, and I'm fine
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
TomFid
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Sep 16, 2012

Yeah - was thinking that was the obvious next move.

Will Frost
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

You could use an intermediate adapter instead:

Lens:Adaptall-to-CanonFD:CanonFD-to-m43:camera

Why do I recommend this?

You can get OEM-quality intermediate adapters on the cheap, even from BHphoto, which do correctly work with infinity focus, and then use a legacy-to-m43 adapter that you know is good quality. The more common legacy-to-m43 adapters have been around for a while, and most companies know how to machine them correctly. Third-party manufacturers have been getting Adaptall mounts wrong for a long time - probably as long as the mount has been around, but the majors have a pretty good track record.

I see a used Adaptall-to-FD adapter on BH photo right now for 8$, apparently manufactured by Tamron itself, so you know the mount is correct. Getting a good quality FD-to-m43 adapter would then be a pretty good investment, since you'd be able to adapt two lines of lenses to m43. (Personally, I like Nikon's F mount, but that's because you can easily get Nikon-to-m43 tilt/shift adapters...)
Will

TomFid
Like?
In reply to s_grins, Sep 16, 2012

That would probably work, but I'm concerned about the fact that the adapter doesn't properly seat in the Adaptall face. This is a huge lens, and I'd hate to damage the mount plate. Plus, it bugs me to pay money for something that's not in spec, so the Rainbow adapter goes back.

TomFid
Like?
In reply to Will Frost, Sep 16, 2012

Hadn't thought to look at B&H - thanks. My original rationale was to avoid two adapters, because there's possible slop at each, but if the mfg's haven't worked the bugs out of the Adaptall-direct versions, this makes a lot of sense.

Will Frost
Like?

TomFid wrote:

Hadn't thought to look at B&H - thanks. My original rationale was to avoid two adapters, because there's possible slop at each, but if the mfg's haven't worked the bugs out of the Adaptall-direct versions, this makes a lot of sense.

You're welcome! Glad that was helpful.

Yeah, I am normally not too keen on multiple adapters, but after seeing how nice a legacy M39-to-CanonFD adapter was (manufactured by Canon!), I realized that every once in a while I could exploit the good engineering skills of the original manufacturers.

Will

Ramón
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Big_is

I have the Big_is adaptall to m4/3 adapter and works very well, good fit and infinity focus. I have checked the adapter with three lenses, Tamron 90/2.5 macro, 180/2.5 LD and 300/2.8

I also have some Adaptall2 original adapters (FD, PK, OM, C/Y, 42 and the rare EOS) and a lot of m4/3 adapters ( 11 mounts) but I prefer to use only 1 adapter.

kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,543Gear list
Like?

I have a 24mm f2.5 Adaptall 2 lens that I use with a Fotodiox adapter. it seems to focus to infinity just fine. I'm sure there is some variation in the precision of the adapters.
--
kw
http://www.thealamoproject.com/
http://www.pbase.com/kwhite

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,294Gear list
Like?

Im almost sure the AD2 and AD are compatible. I've been using an intermediate Minolta MC-MD adapter, then the Rainbow imaging Minolta to M43, for 3 Tamrons. I do have a Adaptall to M43 from I forget who, that does focus to infinity, but won't lock the lenses properly. The Minolta intermediate mount is very easy to attach and detach from the Minolta to M43 adapter. Some of the mounts are from what I've heard (no first hand knowledge) harder to attach/detach.
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/
"why so serious?": The Joker

Skip Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 809
Like?

I have an unwanted Tamron Adaptall II mount for OM cameras, which would work if you had the corresponding OM-to-MFT adapter. Email me if you are interested at skipwilliams at pobox dot com.

Skip

jpds
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to TomFid, Sep 17, 2012

You may try to dissamble the brass mount and sand the cast body, just remove the black paint as I did for another adapter

J-P

sunniland
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: Adaptall stopdown to pre-set aperture
In reply to Will Frost, Sep 17, 2012

Will Frost wrote:

You could use an intermediate adapter instead:

Lens:Adaptall-to-CanonFD:CanonFD-to-m43:camera

Instead of an (Adaptall--> Canon FD) + (Canon FD--> m43) combination, I'd suggest either an (Adaptall--> Olympus OM) + (OM--> m43) or else an (Adaptall--> Nikon F) + (Nikon--> Canon EOS aperture-control) + (EOS--> m43) combination.

Long legacy lenses are hard to focus at small apertures, especially on the OM-D, which lacks focus peaking. Either system above would permit focusing wide open, then a quick way to stop down to the pre-set "taking" aperture, by pressing & holding the OM's DoF preview button, or sliding the Nikon F--> EOS's aperture-control lever.

The Nikon F--> EOS aperture-control adapter was designed for Nikon G lenses, which don't have an aperture ring, to give the user a way to set smaller apertures. But when used on an older Nikon lens with an aperture-control ring, it's a very handy way to stop down to a pre-set aperture: pre-set the "taking" aperture with the ring, focus wide open (leaving the lever at its wide position), then slide to lever down and shoot.

The DoF preview button on OM-mount adapters provides similar functionality (pressing and holding it down while shooting), especially on smaller lenses (on some OM adapters you have to remove a screw to keep the lens wide open while setting the aperture-control ring to a smaller pre-set aperture). This system works fine on my OM 50mm f1.4 lens (with both the OM-D and NEX 7).

But when handolding larger and heavier lenses, it can be hard to quickly locate the OM's DoF preview button by feel; the lever on the Nikon--> EOS adapter is much easier to find by feel, and once closed, doesn't have to be held down. That system works fine on my (hefty) Nikkor 135mm/f2.0 DC lens. On my (huge) Tamron 200-500mm Adaptall zoom, which currntly has an OM mount, I've ordered a Nikon F mount to see how it works out.

Will Frost
Like?
In reply to sunniland, Sep 17, 2012

Thanks sunniland, you've got a lot of really useful information here, particularly:

sunniland wrote:

a quick way to stop down to the pre-set "taking" aperture, by pressing & holding the OM's DoF preview button, or sliding the Nikon F--> EOS's aperture-control lever.

The Nikon F--> EOS aperture-control adapter was designed for Nikon G lenses, which don't have an aperture ring, to give the user a way to set smaller apertures. But when used on an older Nikon lens with an aperture-control ring, it's a very handy way to stop down to a pre-set aperture: pre-set the "taking" aperture with the ring, focus wide open (leaving the lever at its wide position), then slide to lever down and shoot.

The DoF preview button on OM-mount adapters provides similar functionality (pressing and holding it down while shooting), especially on smaller lenses (on some OM adapters you have to remove a screw to keep the lens wide open while setting the aperture-control ring to a smaller pre-set aperture). This system works fine on my OM 50mm f1.4 lens (with both the OM-D and NEX 7).

But when handolding larger and heavier lenses, it can be hard to quickly locate the OM's DoF preview button by feel; the lever on the Nikon--> EOS adapter is much easier to find by feel, and once closed, doesn't have to be held down. That system works fine on my (hefty) Nikkor 135mm/f2.0 DC lens. On my (huge) Tamron 200-500mm Adaptall zoom, which currntly has an OM mount, I've ordered a Nikon F mount to see how it works out.

I think I'll look at that Nikon F --> EOS aperture-control adapter. Sounds very useful on a number of levels!

TomFid
Like?
In reply to sunniland, Sep 17, 2012

This is good to know. I didn't realize that there were cheap adapters with aperture stop-down control. It looks like Fotodiox now has several versions, including Pentax ( http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Aperture-Panasonic-AG-AF100/dp/B0048AG03Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ).

TomFid
Like?
In reply to TomFid, Sep 21, 2012

Thanks for all the good ideas here.

I picked up a real Adaptall-> Canon FD adapter and a Fotodiox FD-> mu4/3, and stacked those. The result turns out to be the same. So, it appears that I can't blame the Rainbow Imaging adapter for being out of spec.

I think either the lens was originally out of spec or that someone monkeyed with the mount at some point. I'm guessing the latter, as it seems odd that even a real Tamron adaptall fitting doesn't mount perfectly flush.

Interestingly, part of the mount stack on the lens body is a shim that's just about exactly the excess thickness I seem to have. If I remove it, I get perfect infinity focus, but the aperture ring binds. So, one possibility might be to cut a thinner shim out of a coke can or something like that.

I'm thinking I might try to find a junky Adaptall lens, so I can take it apart and measure the mount bits to see what things are supposed to be like.

Further thoughts would be most welcome.

Tom

tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to TomFid, Sep 21, 2012

TomFid wrote:

Thanks for all the good ideas here.

I picked up a real Adaptall-> Canon FD adapter and a Fotodiox FD-> mu4/3, and stacked those. The result turns out to be the same. So, it appears that I can't blame the Rainbow Imaging adapter for being out of spec.

I think either the lens was originally out of spec or that someone monkeyed with the mount at some point. I'm guessing the latter, as it seems odd that even a real Tamron adaptall fitting doesn't mount perfectly flush.

Interestingly, part of the mount stack on the lens body is a shim that's just about exactly the excess thickness I seem to have. If I remove it, I get perfect infinity focus, but the aperture ring binds. So, one possibility might be to cut a thinner shim out of a coke can or something like that.

I'm thinking I might try to find a junky Adaptall lens, so I can take it apart and measure the mount bits to see what things are supposed to be like.

Further thoughts would be most welcome.

I use a Nikon F to M4/3 adapter with a number of lenses, mostly Nikkors. With lenses up to 50mm they focus beyond infinity, in the case of the 35mm setting of a 35-70 zoom, significantly beyond infinity, and all the distance markings are then off - when focusing on something hundreds of metres away, the scale says 10m. With long lenses, starting from about 200mm, infinity becomes difficult to get. At 300mm it's definitely not possible to reach infinity. All with the same adapter, same family of lenses.

TomFid
Like?
internal filter in optical path?
In reply to tt321, Sep 24, 2012

Sounds like I need to find an out-of-spec adapter like yours

I just realized that there's another possibility: I don't have an internal filter in the lens. That affects the optical path slightly. I'm just not sure which way - whether it would make it easier or harder to get infinity focus. Anyone have experience with one of these 400mm Tamron SPs, or its 300mm 2.8 cousin?

rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191
Like?
Re: internal filter in optical path?
In reply to TomFid, Sep 24, 2012

TomFid wrote:

Sounds like I need to find an out-of-spec adapter like yours

I just realized that there's another possibility: I don't have an internal filter in the lens. That affects the optical path slightly. I'm just not sure which way - whether it would make it easier or harder to get infinity focus. Anyone have experience with one of these 400mm Tamron SPs, or its 300mm 2.8 cousin?

I have the SP 500-8 and that has an UV lens too.... you shouldnt remove it since it
was corrected with the lens in place....
Same with the 4-400 you need a 43mm filter in place !
I got the gorgeous Novoflex MFT to Nikon and the adaptall-Nikon adapter
Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads