OVF vs EVF put to rest

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions
Piginho
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: OVF vs EVF put to rest
In reply to me1948, Sep 20, 2012

me1948 wrote:

Acuity of the human eye is not in question. It's also rather besides the point that TMR was making.

This is not difficult. Look into an OVF, look at a magnified EVF view of the same subject, EVF shows more detail. It's the same as printing a 24mp picture at 8*12", then printing a crop from the full image at the same size.

"OVF vs EVF put to rest" is the title of the thread, backed by a misleading video, trying to suggest that EVF has now overtaken OVF. All I have sought to do is point out that this is untrue, at least for some people, in in some types of photography.

I'm glad that you accept the acuity issue. I fully understand and get the point about magnified EVF and accept that in this mode you will get to see more detail, at least in outright resolution terms, than an unmagnified OVF.

You must accept, though, that a good OVF will offer significantly more resolution than an A77/A99 EVF unmagnified. I have provided plenty of scientific evidence/references to prove this.

There are many types of photography that would not suit the process of magnifying the image before capture, as I have highlighted in other posts. Therefore, in these situations, for me, OVF is far superior, despite some of the other obvious benefits of EVF.

In situations where image magnification would be beneficial, my workaround on A900, is to use intelligent preview function to adjust various parameters as required, capture an image and then magnify this image in preview mode, to check focus etc. This may not be quite as quick as EVF on A77/A99, but then most types of photography that benefit from using the magnifier function on EVF, are situations where working in a hurry is not an issue.

On balance for the type of photography that I do, for me, OVF is by far the preferred option, to date, until EVF improves.

OVF vs EVF will never be put to bed, so why don't we all just use what we like and get on with it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 19,044Gear list
Like?
In reply to Piginho, Sep 20, 2012

Piginho wrote:

There are many types of photography that would not suit the process of magnifying the image before capture, as I have highlighted in other posts. Therefore, in these situations, for me, OVF is far superior, despite some of the other obvious benefits of EVF.

True but that is usually for action photography where we rely on AF because of it's greater speed. In those situations we have to rely on the accuracy of the camera AF. Nothing can beat a magnified EVF view for macro.

OVF vs EVF will never be put to bed, so why don't we all just use what we like and get on with it?

True at least for now but never is a long long time. I can see a time when EVFs will be so good that the need for an OVF will disappear for everybody. It just hasn't happened yet. Much of the resistance to EVFs is for purely aesthetic reasons.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Piginho
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Sep 20, 2012

tbcass wrote:

Piginho wrote:

True but that is usually for action photography where we rely on AF because of it's greater speed. In those situations we have to rely on the accuracy of the camera AF. Nothing can beat a magnified EVF view for macro.

As long as it's still life macro. Magnified view is no good for an insect in flight. Action photography could include wildlife, wildlife macro, fashion (catwalk), weddings, sports (including motorsports), air shows, candid people shots, photojournalism and a whole lot more. For me, OVF is better for all of the above, but for others EVFs advantages outweigh OVF even in these situations.

True at least for now but never is a long long time. I can see a time when EVFs will be so good that the need for an OVF will disappear for everybody. It just hasn't happened yet. Much of the resistance to EVFs is for purely aesthetic reasons.

Like I've said before, give me a 10Mp EVF and I'll probably be happy, but I could now add to that a desire for higher refresh rate (fps) and wider dynamic range. With the advances in processing power etc., who's to say we won't have that in say 5 years or so?

As to the resistance being for aesthetic reasons, well certainly not in my case, or in the case of most of the rational responses on here from people who favour OVF, but in fairness, there may be a large element that fit your description.

Ultimately, it's the pictures that are important and some very fine photography has been produced on some very basic equipment in the past. The technology is not the most important thing.

phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230Gear list
Like?
In reply to DontThinkSo, Sep 20, 2012

DontThinkSo wrote:

LOL show me a source that PROVES the sun will come up tomorrow genius?

This is a stupid question
The sun does not "come up", it never has and it never will.

The Earth rotates and the sun comes in to view.

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
psn
psn
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?
In reply to BMWX5, Sep 20, 2012

You totally took that hook, line, and sinker, didn't you? I don't see OVF and EVF as mutually exclusive technologies. Sure EVF has a lot of good things going for it. But so does OVF. All of that means, there's not putting anything to rest because people will pick one or the other.

I for one would probably buy both... which means instead of getting all of my camera money, Sony will be splitting it with either Canon or Nikon.

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,857
Like?
In reply to BMWX5, Sep 20, 2012

Yep, all disagreements are completely at rest now, thanks to Sony's little 2-minute promo video and this thread, which will soon end. Until tomorrow, that is... and the day after that... and the day after that... and the day after that...

BMWX5
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Sep 20, 2012

I thought same thing. EVF technology in the 80's is nothing compare to the 21st century EVF's

tbcass wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

I've owned EVFs since the 80s, and currently have about 6 cameras that use that approach. I've used them for this, and they make such shooting virtually impossible on faster subjects. On slower planes, it's not that big a deal, but these planes are fast.

I could follow that plane with an EVF with no problem. I've done it with model rockets and it is easy. Was the video taken with an EVF? If so you had no problem. The EVFs of today are nothing like the EVFs of old. Unfortunately you don't know what you are talking about.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads