Sep 16, 2012

Reasons why EVF is way better than OVF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmatcZ99Qw

JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702Gear list
Like?
Re: OVF vs EVF put to rest
In reply to BMWX5, Sep 16, 2012

Not put to rest, but after having used both most of the claims in this video are true. OVF is still advantageous for certain sports photography however.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

I can't watch the video right now since I am on a very slow Internet connection, however there is no way you will put the issue to rest. There are too many Canikon users that are just too firmly entrenched in their OVF system and they will never listen to a word you say. The only way to convince them would be to take their present system out of their hands for a few days and force them to actually use an EVF based system. And that's not going to happen in most cases.
--
My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, Sep 16, 2012

seilerbird666 wrote:

I can't watch the video right now since I am on a very slow Internet connection, however there is no way you will put the issue to rest. There are too many Canikon users that are just too firmly entrenched in their OVF system and they will never listen to a word you say. The only way to convince them would be to take their present system out of their hands for a few days and force them to actually use an EVF based system. And that's not going to happen in most cases.
--
My photos:

The advantages of EVF over OVF are much greater than most people realize. I wonder if Sony has a patent on EVF, if so, that could explain why Nikon and Canon have not embraced it. I will certainly not go back to OVF!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,116Gear list
Like?
Just tried the EVF in a shop?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, Sep 16, 2012

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

OVF is still advantageous for certain sports photography however.

Not for the trained EVF user! After learning the EBF to use shooting action should not be a problem! Not more than with an OVF camera.

I often hear this claim, but not from experienced EVF users.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
Re: the video advertisement

Three questions:

1. This is an advertisement. Advertisements are made to persuade. What persuasion is this advertisement pushing? Why was the decision made that this persuasion was necessary?

2. Why was the name "Tru-Finder" selected. What does the foregrounding of "Tru" tell us about the product being advertised?

3. The real question for me. I can see changes in the lightness of light objects caused by ripples in water below the objects in the a900/a850 OVF (e.g.: birds or grasses on a shore). I cannot see that in the a77 EVF. Is there an EVF on the market that delivers anything close to the absolute luminance fidelity of a large, bright OVF such as the ones in the a900/a850?

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Sep 16, 2012

Karl Scharf wrote:

The advantages of EVF over OVF are much greater than most people realize. I wonder if Sony has a patent on EVF, if so, that could explain why Nikon and Canon have not embraced it. I will certainly not go back to OVF!

I agree with you Karl. I own both an EVF and an OVF based camera and I always go for the EVF camera first. There are plenty of Canon and Nikon based EVF cameras, but they are all bridge cameras. I think Canon and Nikon are hoping that Sony and the EVF based DSLR will go down in flames so they won't have to come out with new systems.
--
My photos:

aim120
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?

Karl Scharf wrote:

For canikon to get a EVF then it has to be a mirrorless camera with really good on sensor PDAF which canon sucks at.

Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kriekira, Sep 16, 2012

Kriekira wrote:

Three questions:

1. This is an advertisement. Advertisements are made to persuade. What persuasion is this advertisement pushing? Why was the decision made that this persuasion was necessary?

2. Why was the name "Tru-Finder" selected. What does the foregrounding of "Tru" tell us about the product being advertised?

3. The real question for me. I can see changes in the lightness of light objects caused by ripples in water below the objects in the a900/a850 OVF (e.g.: birds or grasses on a shore). I cannot see that in the a77 EVF. Is there an EVF on the market that delivers anything close to the absolute luminance fidelity of a large, bright OVF such as the ones in the a900/a850?

To address your 'real question': Yes you can see the 'absolute luminance' in your OVF, but there is no sensor, and there probably will never be any medium, that can capture it! So why is that so important to see in the viewfinder? At least, the EVF provides a more realistic view of what the sensor is actually recording, and even lets you see the effects of any adjustments that you make to the image you are trying to capture. If you want to see the 'absolute luminance' of a scene, just look at it with your own eyes.

-- hide signature --

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,255Gear list
Like?
And In Fact....

Karl Scharf wrote:

.... the EVF provides a more realistic view of what the sensor is actually recording, and even lets you see the effects of any adjustments that you make to the image you are trying to capture. If you want to see the 'absolute luminance' of a scene, just look at it with your own eyes.

And in fact the beauty of the EVF is that it specifically doesn't give you the "absolute luminance" of a scene. Those with OVF's will go on for years taking blue tint pictures because they forgot to reset their WB, or wondering whether to wick the exposure comp. up/down, or guessing what effect one of the Scene Modes might have, but those days are gone for Sony users.

The current generation of EVF needs to be improved of course, but I'm so done with absolute luminance.
--
Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,543Gear list
Like?
Do we have to discuss this again? Let it go...

You've even got one guy replying who didn't watch the video...

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Ionian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259
Like?

BMWX5 wrote:

Reasons why EVF is way better than OVF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmatcZ99Qw

Lol

-- hide signature --

Hell hath no fury like an a77 fanboi scorned.

'...For every man who has ever lived, in this universe,
there shines a star.'
-Arthur C. Clarke
-------------------------------------------
My gallery: http://www.frankperri.com/g/index.html

Why is it that the people with the biggest and most
conspicuous watermarks have the photos least worth
stealing?

I instantly disregard any thread or poster that use the
words 'Tack Sharp'.

'Can't help it, I am a Barry fanboy.' - gpr2020 (a.k.a. mzd), Sept. 3,

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,259
Like?

Uh-huh. A short promotional video is going to 'put to rest' the debate.

kathyk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
In reply to Kriekira, Sep 16, 2012

Kriekira wrote:

Three questions:

^^^ This!

While the video is compelling, and the EVF is evolving to become better all the time, the bottom line is a very good EVF is much less expensive to mfr than an optical prism viewfinder.

Most likely the very best solution would be the combination of both, electronic overlay / OVF, but how would that save Sony (or anyone) any money?

Viewfinders are not a religion, no extra points for persuading your friend/neighbor to come over to your side of the argument.

BMWX5
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142Gear list
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Sep 16, 2012

Ad or not EVF is proven to be better than OVF in many applications. It is the same for people who kept saying "I will never go digital." At the end of the day, if you can't embrace advanced technology then it is your loss.

sybersitizen wrote:

Uh-huh. A short promotional video is going to 'put to rest' the debate.

Kriekira
Like?

Karl Scharf wrote:

Kriekira wrote:

To address your 'real question': Yes you can see the 'absolute luminance' in your OVF, but there is no sensor, and there probably will never be any medium, that can capture it! So why is that so important to see in the viewfinder? At least, the EVF provides a more realistic view of what the sensor is actually recording, and even lets you see the effects of any adjustments that you make to the image you are trying to capture. If you want to see the 'absolute luminance' of a scene, just look at it with your own eyes.

My a850 and a900 each capture this difference easily and clearly. On what basis do you claim otherwise?

Don't get me wrong here -- I bought and use the a77 specifically for the advantages the EVF provides (primarily live view and the articulated LCD). The EVF is a great tool. It has, for my use, a fatal flaw: the DR is far below not only what I see, but also below what the sensor records. After a few weeks with the a77, and knowing that Sony was not going to produce another OVF as good as the a900/a850, I purchased a used a900 as a long-term backup for my work.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Kriekira
Like?

BMWX5 wrote:

Ad or not EVF is proven to be better than OVF in many applications. It is the same for people who kept saying "I will never go digital." At the end of the day, if you can't embrace advanced technology then it is your loss.

I don't imagine I'm going to get any traction with you here, but imho you are refocusing the light of this discussion on something irrelevant. You add nothing to the discussion by turning this into a litmus test of individual's judgement. (For what it's worth, "I will never go digital" is very different from what you seem to think it means. It does not mean "Digital is unworthy" .) Additionally, no-one is arguing that EVFs are inferior to OVFs in many applications. And lastly, the a900 OVF is the supreme example of OVF technology. "Technology" does not equal "electronic" .

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,357Gear list
Like?
Re: Just tried the EVF in a shop?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Sep 16, 2012

I wasn't much experienced with EVF at the time I shot these (actually, my first low-light action shots) but it worked well for me on my A55.

I didn't plan on being there, so had my 16-50 SSM (hence, substantially cropped).

Panning...

Freeze...

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,409
Like?
In reply to kathyk, Sep 16, 2012

The problem is that an overlay wouldn't get any information from the main sensor while using the OVF in a classic DSLR design.

Mike CH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
Re: Do we have to discuss this again? Let it go...
In reply to Corkcampbell, Sep 16, 2012

Uhm, you did notice who the OP is? And you are asking him/her to let something go?

Regards,
Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads