Help me out Sony Forum ...

Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me out Sony Forum ...
In reply to justharry, Sep 17, 2012

The 16-50 is a fantastic lens, and it's speed would be a very good versatile lens to have and keep.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MikeInOr
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stflbn, Sep 17, 2012

Personally I find the 18-55 kit lens that came with my A33 an awkward lens. I have been very pleased with the photos I have taken with it... but the zoom range always seems to come up short on both the wide angle and telephoto ends.

I personally would rather have sharp lenses in the 10mm - (20mm or 24mm) and 18mm - (200mm, 250mm or 270mm) range. It seems like an overlapping pair of lenses like this would make an excellent all purpose kit... at least until hitting up against flashless low light venues. But with sensor stabilization and selectable ISO's it feels like I should be able to get by with slower glass.

If I had to compromise and get just one lens I think I could make do with a lens that started at 16mm wide (Like the 16 - 80 Sony lens). With my A33 being my first digital interchangeable lens camera I reference my Maxxum days where I really loved the Sigma 24-80 that was almost always mounted on my maxxum body.

But I guess everyone's needs when it comes to lenses are different!

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +5 more
moonkat
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to justharry, Sep 18, 2012

harry,
Quick summary of verbose discussion below - you are decided on the a65.
Consider the 18-135 as the kit lens to get with it.
This might be sweet spot for best value.

I sympathize with your OCD having similar and just gone through alpha 65/77 decision process. Went like this... i am newbie digital SLR/T user last film SLR was Olympus OM-1 circa 1974; been purchasing superzooms since 2000 - Panny FZ10, then, FZ-28 - 2005, Fuji HS20 - 2009 and tired of the lack of low light capability - inability to capture worthy portraits of my lovely daughter, and wildlife, birds and aircraft from the back deck.

Did not want to spend the $$$ for the a77, pursuaded that the a65 was best value. Did want the sal1650 lens for the stellar reviews, but it is moisture resistant and that feature wasted on the a65 so argued for the a77. Also did not want to miss any features in a65 decontented from a77 - additional joint in hi res screen and superfine jpeg photos. Also durabililty - 150k shutter clicks and expected better resale value (speculative).

Got the a77 with sal1650 - lovely & a joy to use. Lovely images - incredible low light shots - twilight mode, hand held ! Also got the sal18135 for the "betterdj" positive review, but was dissapointed in the limit of zoom for my back deck photography and dissapointing indoor shooting compared to the 1650 - going back. Did not want the sal18250 for the old noisy SAM motor.

Which brings me to point of my post - Sony site announces that the new sal55300 is shipping today - 18 Sept 2012. Early adopters please post reviews. I am a BH fan and not available from them till end of Sep.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to moonkat, Sep 18, 2012

moonkat wrote:

harry,
Quick summary of verbose discussion below - you are decided on the a65.
Consider the 18-135 as the kit lens to get with it.
This might be sweet spot for best value.

I agree. It is relatively light and compact and can all but eliminate the need to carry two lenses.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
moonkat
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Sep 18, 2012

See also, this review, just posted yesterday.
I noticed harry read it, too.

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/2012/09/sony-18-135mm-sam-f35-56-review.html

justharry
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: Consider A57 Kit
In reply to cgarrard, Sep 18, 2012

I really appreciate your comments Carl and value your recommendations (and, through this thread, just discovered your blog). The only reason now why I would want to go for the A65 over the A57 is the better EVF (on paper), I have yet to look through the A65 EVF, though I have had my hands on and peeked through the A57's. I definitely don't need the extra megapixels and would gladly trade them for better higher ISO performance. I really need to hold and peek through an A65's EVF for perspective.

I also REALLY appreciated your review of the 18-135, which sounds like a great option over the 18-55 kit and almost no-brainer. The A57 + 18-135mm kit is going for $899 now.

PS: If you have any spare time, please review the new 55-300

harry

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
moonkat
Like?
Re: Don't forget this lens!
In reply to linzdoctor7d, Sep 19, 2012
moonkat
Like?
Re: Don't forget this lens!
In reply to moonkat, Sep 19, 2012

"Test shooting, etc., but most do not go yet, because it is built-in (smooth AF motor) SAM, I have realized much zooming quiet compared to the "SAL75300". May be considered as a seasonal athletic meet to Use a telephoto lens, will also benefit when shooting still images as well as video, sound when the focus lens drive is also quiet if this lens. Since prices are also reasonable prices, it is recommended lens."

I think it is a favorable preview...

fromo1946
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
A-77 FS
In reply to moonkat, Sep 19, 2012

Harry, there's a goy on the For Sale side of this forum selling his a-77 body for $900, with extra battery, that's another ave you might approach. I'm just saying, the a-77 is an excellent piece of equipment. Mine works great and it's a learning curve that is easy to appreciate. Good luck in your quest, stay Sony....

justharry
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to justharry, Oct 26, 2012

Well the agony continued for a while as I kept up the web research and in-store holding in my hand time. Just ordered the A65 kitted with the 18-135. This pairing seems to offer the best mix of build quality, performance and capabilities for my needs and budget. Sony said their sale ends on 10/27 and I'm taking them at their word. We'll see how that turns out.

Will open it up on receipt to make sure it's a good copy and to update firmware, then it will wait until Xmas. So it will be a while before I'm posting any shots from it.

I'll be back posting for advice on various other stuff, like suggestions for best lens filter option (mainly for protection).

Thanks again for all the input. Harry

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,934Gear list
Like?
Get the A65 or A57 body only..

+ latest Tamron 18-270mm.

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
Maxeyesore
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?

justharry wrote:

Well the agony continued for a while as I kept up the web research and in-store holding in my hand time. Just ordered the A65 kitted with the 18-135. This pairing seems to offer the best mix of build quality, performance and capabilities for my needs and budget. Sony said their sale ends on 10/27 and I'm taking them at their word. We'll see how that turns out.

Will open it up on receipt to make sure it's a good copy and to update firmware, then it will wait until Xmas. So it will be a while before I'm posting any shots from it.

I'll be back posting for advice on various other stuff, like suggestions for best lens filter option (mainly for protection).

Thanks again for all the input. Harry

I do this expecting 30 or 40 "downs" but I'm used to it by now. I don't know if you already have $ invested in sony lenses, but the K30 with 18-135 is only $50 more than the same a65 rig but offers many improvements. Weather sealing, steel frame, better noise performance, pentaprism VF, twin control dials, full exposure controls such as auto iso adjust and auto iso during M mode. The 18-135 from pentax is also weather sealed, making it a much safer unit for outdoor shooting.

The video will likely please you more on the a65, and if you prefer an EVF there's that too. FPS is also faster on the sony. When comparing the two I would definately go for the K30, just throwing another idea out there.

-- hide signature --

Pentax...Find Your Element.

Maxeyesore's gear list:Maxeyesore's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Pentax K-5 IIs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads