OMG, the panasonic/leica 45mm macro is faboo

Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions
Ceci Land
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
OMG, the panasonic/leica 45mm macro is faboo
Sep 15, 2012

I just took some happy snappy macros this evening when my new lens came in and I was stunned. I didn't bother with a tripod. I broke every rule in the book. Lighting was terrible and I even used the pop up flash on my G5 for some of 'em. Ya know what...I like 'em anyway. Some may not have critical sharpness because I was lazy, but it's definitely not the lens.

FWIW, I'm still learning my camera, so when I did a natural light hand held shot of my dog, I let the camera chose iso 1600. The quality is amazing compared to what I'm used to....even shooting in jpeg mode. I'm not going to be afraid to shoot 1600 if my goal is just pictures at 5x7 size or so...maybe even up to 8x10.

I took the couple of macro shots of the candy bar just to show what an difference 1 f-stop makes. The macro of the bottle label shows the shallow depth of field.

I do sort of miss the depth of field preview I used on my old camera. But I'm sure I'll eventually learn the 45mm well enough to "just know" about what DOF I'll get at a certain distance and f-stop.

Ceci Land's gear list:Ceci Land's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,224Gear list
Like?
Re: OMG, the panasonic/leica 45mm macro is faboo
In reply to Ceci Land, Sep 15, 2012

Looks like a Rat Terrier? Nice old dog you have there

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ceci Land
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Sep 15, 2012

Good catch. She's the slightly smaller version, a toy fox terrier. She may be small, but she's all terrier. She can be quite the diva too. She is indeed an old phart...going on 15. She's basks in the sun just like yours does...face tilted up to the sun.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Ceci Land
Like?
Live and learn, now I know...gallery view sucks

Now I know why everyone on the forum attaches individual images. I'm not going to repost all of the ones from my original post, but just in case folks don't want to click through, yet want to see how the lens performed in a real life, lazy photographer situation.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
sdeban
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?

It is a great lens and is wonderful on the G5. The G5 does have depth of field preview that you can assign to a function button. Works great!

Ceci Land
Like?
In reply to sdeban, Sep 15, 2012

I had to consult my manual...daggum, you're right. It's already on Fn2. It's the one that says something like "shtr speed effect is on". I wonder how I could have missed that? The first press is DOF preview, the second shows the effect of the shutter. Could panasonic have worded that any more obtusely?

Thanks for the heads up. That saved me a lot of time.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?

'faboo', the new 'awesome'.

Seriously, nice work - imagine one paired up with a GH3.

faboo times two?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taikitso/

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
kaw209
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

Couldn't have said it better myself! I've had this lens for just over 2 years now, and anytime I post pics I've taken with it, it's all I can do to keep from adding "Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this lens?!" in the description

My Bassador, Daisy

tiny mushroom

Rambur's Forktail Damselfly

Baby tree frog

-- hide signature --

Kim

If everything happens for a reason, what's the reason?!
http://flickr.com/photos/kaw209

kaw209's gear list:kaw209's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
cameron2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ceci Land, Sep 16, 2012

I've been surprised how often I end up picking this lens. It's a short tele, but for some reason it works for me ..

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads