X100

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
X100
Sep 14, 2012

Havent heard much talk about the X100's ergonomic kit. One forum above (FTF), the X10 ergonomic kit has gotten some press as well as flak as the price is excessive, $129 for the thumb grip and little soft release.

Today I stumbled into the X100's ergonomic kit. The price is even a more brazen cash grab at $229. Wow.... B & H does not list what is in this kit but one must assume that it is again a thumb grip and soft release. $229. More expensive than some of their cameras for two pieces of easily made metal.

Anyone want to admit to buying this OEM product?

A complete X100 set (camera, hood, ergo kit, converter, and case) will run you....

$1200 + $100 + $229 + $350 +$100 = $1979

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: X100
In reply to rattymouse, Sep 14, 2012

On another forum there is a "Pimp my Camera" thread about stuff to hang on the X100. Greatly tempted to troll, but have restrained myself. With absolutely nothing added to it, it fits my jacket pocket and lets me do photography anywhere, any time. There is extensive bickering about camera straps—of which, I use none. I can not imagine getting excited about a camera strap!

Sort of "Save the Whales!"
(Collect the Whole Set)
mentality.

They probably also drive Harleys with more aftermarket chrome-bits than bike. However, they are free to spend their gelt however they wish. I can not blame Fuji or anyone else for feeding the demand—simply intelligent marketing.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to lnbolch, Sep 15, 2012

lnbolch wrote:

On another forum there is a "Pimp my Camera" thread about stuff to hang on the X100. Greatly tempted to troll, but have restrained myself. With absolutely nothing added to it, it fits my jacket pocket and lets me do photography anywhere, any time. There is extensive bickering about camera straps—of which, I use none. I can not imagine getting excited about a camera strap!

(Collect the Whole Set)
mentality.

They probably also drive Harleys with more aftermarket chrome-bits than bike. However, they are free to spend their gelt however they wish. I can not blame Fuji or anyone else for feeding the demand—simply intelligent marketing.

I have to believe that Fujifilm would sell a LOT more of these add ons if they werent priced by some Wall Street Banker. It costs pennies to manufacture bit pieces like this.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Sep 15, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

lnbolch wrote:

(Collect the Whole Set)
mentality.

I have to believe that Fujifilm would sell a LOT more of these add ons if they werent priced by some Wall Street Banker. It costs pennies to manufacture bit pieces like this.

Impulse purchases—and I expect the high-prices might be an incentive. People play a great deal of money for an ancient camera with a Kodak sensor that does rather poorly above ISO800, has no LiveView, video or even auto-focus and is sold on the basis of its mystique. They don't need to sell many to stay well afloat. Not everything needs to be a lowest common denominator product for the mass market.

Not when a sucker is born every minute.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
smokeyjoe
Contributing MemberPosts: 670
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

Havent heard much talk about the X100's ergonomic kit. One forum above (FTF), the X10 ergonomic kit has gotten some press as well as flak as the price is excessive, $129 for the thumb grip and little soft release.

Today I stumbled into the X100's ergonomic kit. The price is even a more brazen cash grab at $229. Wow.... B & H does not list what is in this kit but one must assume that it is again a thumb grip and soft release. $229. More expensive than some of their cameras for two pieces of easily made metal.

A complete X100 set (camera, hood, ergo kit, converter, and case) will run you....

-- hide signature --

Not really much of an issue for me. My X100 hangs around my neck on a strap all the time, so a grip, or 'ergo kit' is not needed.

Hell, the case is a bit of a PITA as well. Accessing the USB port, battery, or card requires that you take the camera out of the case, which is a bit of bother.

Using the case means that you have to remove the lens hood, and I would guess, the 'ergo kit' as well.

Never the less, I own the case for my X100 for the sole, vain reason that it looks great. Since as far back as I can remember, I've always wanted a small rangefinder with a leather case. (I guess that comes from having a father who was a professional photographer!)

Knowing that I'll never be able to own a top end LEICA, I jumped at the X100 once Fuji sorted out some of it's birthing pains.

I'm satisfied.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-smokeyjoe/

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to smokeyjoe, Sep 15, 2012

smokeyjoe wrote:

Not really much of an issue for me. My X100 hangs around my neck on a strap all the time, so a grip, or 'ergo kit' is not needed.

Hell, the case is a bit of a PITA as well. Accessing the USB port, battery, or card requires that you take the camera out of the case, which is a bit of bother.

Using the case means that you have to remove the lens hood, and I would guess, the 'ergo kit' as well.

Never the less, I own the case for my X100 for the sole, vain reason that it looks great. Since as far back as I can remember, I've always wanted a small rangefinder with a leather case. (I guess that comes from having a father who was a professional photographer!)

Knowing that I'll never be able to own a top end LEICA, I jumped at the X100 once Fuji sorted out some of it's birthing pains.

I'm satisfied.

I have the Fuji case too. The only thing I use it for is for protection when traveling. When out shooting, the case stays at home or in the hotel. But when getting on a plane (like tomorrow night, off to Mumbai w/ my X100), on goes the case.

-- hide signature --

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,639
Like?

I have no problems with the x100 ergonomics except for the silly menu layout and and the lack of a q-menu but this can not be fixed by an ergonomic kit.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Bejersey
Forum ProPosts: 11,731
Like?
Re: X100 I'm satisfied.
In reply to smokeyjoe, Sep 15, 2012
tiberiousgracchus
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?

Happy with mine. I was tempted at some point to pimp it out but stopped their. Still thinking to get a filter to protect the lens though. Pimping adds bulk as previously mentioned, and I prefer to keep mine on a slim fast

DigitalDon
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

I need one of these about as much as I need lipstick for my pig!

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,280Gear list
Like?
Add-ons

In theory , I don't like add-ons, but in practice , I am happy with each of the 6 that I've added to my X100.

• Aftermarket lens hood

• LCD protector

• Lensmate OK button extender

• Mr. Tay soft release

• Camdapter hand strap

• Lensmate thumb rest

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Sony a6000 +5 more
b52 s
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?

I've been happy with a lensmate thumb grip, bug soft release from Matctechnical, 3rd part lense hood and B&W filter. No need for a case. All for about $135.

b52 s's gear list:b52 s's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Andrew Koenig
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?
In reply to b52 s, Sep 17, 2012

As far as I can tell, the thumb rest, etc. from Match Technical is the same as the one from Fuji--just significantly less expensive. That is, I think Fuji buys them from Match and resells them at a markup.

thumphrey
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Sep 18, 2012

Black X100 kit, Really Right Stuff L-Bracket, UpStrap

thumphrey's gear list:thumphrey's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D70 Nikon D3 Nikon D3X Olympus PEN E-P1 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads