Best SD Card For FZ200?

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
Robby
Contributing MemberPosts: 677
Like?
Best SD Card For FZ200?
Sep 14, 2012

I've been out of the loop for 5 years or more with my last camera being an FZ50 that I only had briefly. I'm looking at the FZ200 but have no clue what size or speed of SD card to get with it. Should I go with 2 smaller cards or maybe one big card? I doubt I'll use it much for video purposes but may occasionally toy with RAW files.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?
Re: Best SD Card For FZ200?
In reply to Robby, Sep 14, 2012

You definitely want a class 10 card. The FZ200 will handle the Ultra High Speed (SDXC) cards. Use one! They are a bit more expensive than the SDHC normal high speed cards, but price is coming down all the time. Even if you don't need the extra storage available (64GB and more), they can write data faster than the SDHC cards and will make a difference in burst shooting and video processing. I got a 64GB card that writes at 60mbs for $56, compared to my SDHC 32GB card, which writes at 30mbs.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Humboldt Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,071
Like?
Re: Best SD Card For FZ200? OTOH
In reply to Buzz Lightyear, Sep 14, 2012

The fastest card will not increase the maximum write speed of the camera. The card class specified by the camera manufacturer is as fast as it gets.

HJ

Iphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to Humboldt Jim, Sep 14, 2012

And what is the fastest card that the FZ200 can take? Can it take the higher speed cards or is a waste of money?

Gar

Iphoto's gear list:Iphoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Buzz Lightyear
Like?
In reply to Humboldt Jim, Sep 14, 2012

Humboldt Jim wrote:

The fastest card will not increase the maximum write speed of the camera. The card class specified by the camera manufacturer is as fast as it gets.

HJ
--

The card class specified by Panasonic for the FZ200 IS the "class 10", AND it takes "Ultra High Speed" cards. Class 10 comprises many mbs speeds, so unless anyone else knows the exact write speed of the FZ200, I'm assuming it can write as fast as a class 10 card allows. I could be mistaken (I have once in the past - LOL!). It is my perception that the SDXC card process videos faster than my SDHC card.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Buzz Lightyear
Like?
In reply to Buzz Lightyear, Sep 15, 2012

Buzz Lightyear wrote:

Humboldt Jim wrote:

HJ
--

The card class specified by Panasonic for the FZ200 IS the "class 10", AND it takes "Ultra High Speed" cards. Class 10 comprises many mbs speeds, so unless anyone else knows the exact write speed of the FZ200, I'm assuming it can write as fast as a class 10 card allows. I could be mistaken (I have once in the past - LOL!). It is my perception that the SDXC card process videos faster than my SDHC card.

I just took this off the Panasonic website:

"In addition to the conventional SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card, the DMC-FZ200 comply with UHS-I(Ultra High Speed-I) standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Card for higher speed data transfer by minimizing writing time which is effective for high speed burst shooting."

catscatscats
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robby, Sep 15, 2012

Heh, I hadn't purchased a memory card in many years either. I purchased a Sandisk Extreme Class 10 Ultra with claimed write rate of 45 MB/s. I got the 32GB card at Amazon for $1 per GB. It hasn't shipped yet. To tide me over I ran down to Best Buy and got a PNY Professional 16 GB for $15 on sale. At dinner, a coworker decided to play with my new camera and found the burst mode. He put 700 pictures on my camera in just a few seconds. The JPG file sizes of stills is 4-5MB, but in burst mode the file sizes are about 1.5MB. The camera seemed to have no problem keeping up with the bursts.

If you want to find the best card for the FZ200, you'll have to find someone who has tested the cards in the camera and you are unlikely to find anyone who has taken measurements for this camera. My coworker bought a 90 MB/s compact flash for his D800.

You can start out with the less expensive class 10 card and if you have problems, purchase a faster card and keep the slower one for backup.

catscatscats's gear list:catscatscats's gear list
Canon PowerShot A3400 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Iphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to Buzz Lightyear, Sep 15, 2012

Thanks Buzz,

That helps a lot,

Gar

Iphoto's gear list:Iphoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
In reply to catscatscats, Sep 15, 2012

LEXAR pro 400x at B&H 2 pack $30~

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
Robby
Contributing MemberPosts: 677
Like?

I was hoping for a simple answer rather than to start an argument. Since there were multiple confounding and conflicting answers, I downloaded the FZ200 manual. According to it, Panasonic recommends at minimum a Class 4 card. With that said, a Class 10 card should be able to handle anything the camera can toss at it.

SwatOx
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?

No one 'argues' on this forum: people simply have a frank and candid exchange of ideas.

SwatOx's gear list:SwatOx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
hcongthanh
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Robby, Dec 10, 2012

Hi guys,

I've recently the FZ200 - I used my SDHC class 6 which was used without any problems with my former SX1 IS for the past 3 years, but after recording around 15 seconds in 720p @ 120fps, the card went wrong, saying writing speed not enough!

Tried several times, but still failed so I intend to buy a new SDHC class 10 - Is it OK, please advise

Thanks

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to hcongthanh, Dec 10, 2012

hcongthanh wrote:

Hi guys,

I've recently the FZ200 - I used my SDHC class 6 which was used without any problems with my former SX1 IS for the past 3 years, but after recording around 15 seconds in 720p @ 120fps, the card went wrong, saying writing speed not enough!

Tried several times, but still failed so I intend to buy a new SDHC class 10 - Is it OK, please advise

The Class 4 cards are the minimum requirement for FZ200 video but your use of 120fps likely requires more speed so I'm not real surprised.  A 3 year old card is likely due for replacing soon anyway - I'd upgrade to a faster card for the FZ200 and keep the old card as a spare.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Justme
Forum ProPosts: 20,820
Like?
In reply to kkardster, 9 months ago

Interesting thread.  I just have a Transcend 32gb Class 10 SDHC.  Has anyone found a similar card lacking or a performance gain with an even faster card?

-- hide signature --

I know you mean well but please do not embed my images into the forum. Thanks for respecting that.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/a_red_fox_family
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/55043863/small.jpg

djddpr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452
Like?
In reply to Justme, 9 months ago

Justme wrote:

Interesting thread. I just have a Transcend 32gb Class 10 SDHC. Has anyone found a similar card lacking or a performance gain with an even faster card?

Justme,

My wife has this for her FZ200, and I have the same for my FZ150.  We are please with capacity and speed.

David Dollevoet

JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,799
Like?
In reply to Robby, 9 months ago

Are ALL FZ-200's "DMC" units ???

The way that chart reads it seems like they are making a separate distinction for it.

If this chart is in the "FZ-200" manual, why make a specific notation for DMC (only) to be usable w/ higher speed/capacity cards ???

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto

( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

rcjim
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?

I have the SanDisk Extreme 64GB SDXC 80MB/s in my FZ200...solid as a rock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D6XW62I/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

rcjim's gear list:rcjim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Agentbalzac
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to JoePhoto, 9 months ago

Hello Robby,

As far as I am aware, all FZ200s are correctly called "DMC-FZ200"

The DMC-FZ200 notation refers to features/specifications unique to the FZ200, and not the FZ60 with which it shares the PDF manual.

Items common to both models are not notated, items unique to either are marked as such, thus in the case of the SD card section (p24), only the FZ200 is compatible with SDXC class cards.  The other SD card information is relevant to both models.

Enjoy your new FZ200 - in my experience, you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Graham

bolador
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
In reply to Justme, 9 months ago

Interesting thread.  I just have a Transcend 32gb Class 10 SDHC.  Has anyone found a similar card lacking or a performance gain with an even faster card?

-- hide signature --

I know you mean well but please do not embed my images into the forum. Thanks for respecting that.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/a_red_fox_family
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/55043863/small.jpg

Hi,
C10 means card can be written at a continuos 10Mb/s minimum rate. It states a minimum, not a maximum.
USB 2.0 can in theory reach a Max of about 30Mbytes /s but in writings SDHC cards won't reach that speed.
It is difficult to test the camera writing speed to the card. You will probably only notice the buffer emptying faster and letting you take longer bursts at 12fps with a faster C10 card.
Any card faster than your camera will be a waste unless you have a USB 3.0 card reader in a USB 3.0 capable computer. And then enjoy faster downloading/importing. Have in mind that most internal card readers are actually USB 2.0 so be sure to have this checked.
Last,SDHC are most SD unjust days as original SD was able to take 4Gb Max, being most of gBa capacity. Then it came SDHC. SDXC means that can hold more than 32 Mb not that should be faster.
UHS-1 are the faster ones..

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90
Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?
I use Sandisk Extreme 45MB/sec

I use Sandisk Extreme 45MB/sec, Class10, UHS-1. Good performance at a reasonable price. (Dirt cheap actually, when I bought mine).

I wouldn't touch anything that wasn't Class10. But Class10 only specifies a minimum. Many cards go way above that minimum... and if buffer-clearing delays are an issue (eg. rapid bursts, RAW), then look for the fastest WRITE speeds.

Some makers will try to fool you, by only telling their cards' fastest READ speeds, not write. Beware.

I stick to famous/reputable brands.

If you shoot a lot eg. bursts all day at sports event etc... then it's worth considering a USB3 card reader, to dramatically increase transfer rates to your computer vs USB2. Some will come with a USB3 expansion card to slot into your desktop computer, in case you don't already have USB3 (my reader came with such a card, and it was still pretty cheap).

NB. USB3 in your computer also means you can use USB3 external hard drives for backing up at much faster speeds too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads