GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
TimK5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,060
Like?
GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....
Sep 14, 2012

The new GH3 is bulkier and heavier.

What is Panasonic trying to achieve? Trying to turn a m43 cam into a fat ass DSLR?

The only to buy m43s is the small size and weight. It could be a fatal move to sacrifice the only USP!

Why would anybody buy a DSLR sized cam with inferior performance (in particular sensor performance). Beats me...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,355
Like?
Re: GH3: wrong direction! Bulkier & heavier ....
In reply to TimK5, Sep 14, 2012

The main reason to buy a GH3 is if you value video as much or more than stills. The GH2, for example, has better video capabilities than anything short of a full-frame DSLR, and in some respects it's even better than the FF DSLR. At the same time it has stills IQ comparable to crop DSLRs.

The GH3 is aimed at the same market, but is going higher end to appeal to more commercial videographers and photographers. This is an audience that is accustomed to surrounding cameras with bulky cages and attaching shoulder rigs, follow focus gear, lights, external monitors, etc., etc., so a few extra ounces in the camera body is trivial ... and the extra controls and weather sealing are more than worth the tradeoff.

And for the stills shooter, even if the body is the same size as a small DSLR, the lenses are much smaller than ones designed for FF or even crop sensors. Also, as a rule the smallest DSLRs are not as robust as the GH3. They tend to be more entry leve.

TimK5 wrote:

What is Panasonic trying to achieve? Trying to turn a m43 cam into a fat ass DSLR?

The only to buy m43s is the small size and weight. It could be a fatal move to sacrifice the only USP!

Why would anybody buy a DSLR sized cam with inferior performance (in particular sensor performance). Beats me...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
madsci44
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3: wrong direction! - maybe for you - Right for me!

Not sure how much "bulkier" it will be but maybe they are trying to achieve a serious camera with functionality and useability over gimmicks? - I can only hope - and I'm glad Panasonic didn't try to make the EM5 or NEX part deux. Much preferable to have a design that prioritizes ergonomics over minor and ultimately insignificant size differences.

With the GH2 there were lots of stupid complaints about "plasticky feel" but think about it - that was about weight. The grip and shape are very comfortable to me over anything else I've seen in the m43 lineup. With the G5 I was happy to see Panasonic recognizing this

Now they will probably put weather sealing and maybe more metal into the GH3 design (I have no idea) and it will probably have a "solid feel" and everyone will complain its heavier.

If your looking for some psychologically satisfying sense of otherwise pointless difference in compactness there are lots of other shapes in m43 format to choose from these days. Likely they will update GX1 or something soon enough.

TimK5 wrote:

madsci44's gear list:madsci44's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243Gear list
Like?

The GH2 has a broader range of physical controls on the camera body itself than most DSLR bodies, even looking toward enthusiast APS-C and full frame models. A common criticism, as a result, is that the buttons are too cramped; whereas the lower end cameras such as the G3 unfortunately stripped out most of the controls that made these cameras so well-suited toward serious photographers.

The GH3 being a bit bigger (to make the buttons less cramped) is probably a good move overall for being the best photographer's camera that it can be. It's still smaller than any DSLR.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Ron Outdoors
Contributing MemberPosts: 567
Like?

A little more grip then the GH2 to wrap my hand around is fine with me. Plus, hopefully some more space for a better layout of the buttons. Hard to pick up the GH2 without pressing a button. But, more then a couple ounces of additional weight would be a negative.
--
http://www.ronhartman.net

bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
MFT offers both

The beautiful part about MFT as a format is that you have the option of so many body sizes. Tiny with no viewfinder and no flash up to 'Pro' size with grip. I love that I can use my OM-D like a studio camera with the grip, and then still take off the grip, put on a tiny prime and slip it into my pocket when I'm skiing. The big advantage to me is using the same sensor and system for both situations...

There is no one perfect size. There are lots of groups of people who use MFT. Many own dSLR systems and would probably prefer small MFT cameras. Those of us who only have MFT cameras are probably more inclined to appreciate a larger body option.

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?

TimK5 wrote:

Until I see a lot more photos of it in use, or see its dimensional specs, I wouldn't assume that it's as big as a "fat ass DSLR." I handled an OM-D yesterday and I have to see that its control layout felt cramped, and I have smaller-than-average hands. Something a bit larger with a better control layout would be of value to me.

As for it being too large, well, lens size has a LOT to do with the size of a camera system. I typically travel with a super wide zoom, normal zoom, a fast prime, and sometimes a tele zoom. Looking solely at the lenses, I see a huge benefit in using micro four-thirds as my travel system.

I have no problem if the GH3 is a little bit bigger than the GH2. It wouldn't negate the value of the m43 for me. And if it provided a more comfortable control layout and/or more direct controls, then I'd actually prefer it over the GH2 (or OM-D).

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
It's called "Options"

Last I looked, Panasonic sells the small GX1, the little G5, and soon the large GH3.

A lot people really want that larger grip that the bigger DSLRs have. Others want something that fits in a jacket pocket.

No one else offers these options while letting you use the same lenses.

onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,808Gear list
Like?

TimK5 wrote:

What is Panasonic trying to achieve?

Better ergonomics?

Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
It depends for who

The GH3 is surely bigger than anything in m4/3 until now. I think it can't be called "micro" again, as it has a size of an entry level or mid level DSLR.

But this camera is aimed at enthusiats photographers who like to have something more consistent in their hands. I don't see any problem with that. As others have said, there's an option for eveyone now in m4/3.

Perosnally, I hope that the E(M)-7 will be of similar size, which would be great for using with the ZD 4/3 lenses.
--
Cheers,

Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/blog/

dr_elis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
Re: There is nothing wrong with the GH3...

... but at some stage (IMHO rather sooner than later) Pana needs to introduce a Nex-6/7-like model with integrated EVF but still smallish. The GH3 as flagship body for high-end video and stills is just fine, it´s the G5/G6 and the GX2/3 lineage they need to think about. I suggest a line-up like this:

GHx series: DSLR-like styling - the best they can do for video and stills - the total solution!

G(3/5) series: Nex-6/7-like with integrated EVF - the best they can do for stills
GX series: GF1/GX1-like styling, no integrated EVF, but uncompromised for stills
GF series: GF5-like, the entry model

So far Pana was slow to make progress with the GH line, crippled the G(3/5) series even for stills, didn´t really excite with the GX1 (being crippled for stills), only the GF5 fits into this marketing strategy. A line-up of just 4 models in which the top 3 provide top performance for taking stills (all featuring the latest sensors, all multi-aspect etc.): Please!

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

Like the GH2 size, but haven't seen the new one yet so can't judge what bigger and heavier means.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Another insecure

TimK5 wrote:

What is Panasonic trying to achieve? (...)

...drive and shoot sort of poster. As I'm partly here to watch the idiots behave I don't mind.

Hey, TimK5, your current camera is fine. You did fine buying it. Don't let anything small with an EVF get at you.

Jonas

TimK5
Like?
Re: It depends for who
In reply to Pixnat2, Sep 14, 2012

Pixnat2 wrote:

Perosnally, I hope that the E(M)-7 will be of similar size, which would be great for using with the ZD 4/3 lenses.

I hope the EM-7 will be max as big as the EM-5, but with a modern design eliminating that "prism" style retro look.

TimK5
Like?
In reply to onlooker, Sep 14, 2012

onlooker wrote:

TimK5 wrote:

Better ergonomics?

I'd sacrifice ergonomics for small size and weight any day.

BrianY
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?

TimK5 wrote:

onlooker wrote:

TimK5 wrote:

Better ergonomics?

I'd sacrifice ergonomics for small size and weight any day.

And it is great that there are cameras in m4/3 that satisfy both priorities, as they are somewhat in conflict. I love my new E-M5, but found that it didn't "feel" right to me until I put the battery grip on it. It added the function and form I generally want, but it is awesome that I can shrink it down extraordinarily in size by simply removing the grip.

The best camera I've ever handled from an ergonomic standpoint was the E-1. One would think Olympus' successors would have improved on this, but sadly they did not. The E-3 wasn't bad, just different. If the GH3 replicates the E-1 ergonomics, then they will have a winner for many who are looking to reclaim that experience. Personally, I had been hoping they would adopt the rangefinder style of the old L1 (which is my last 4/3 camera still sitting around), but seeing the GH3, I think it makes more sense in that form factor to accomplish it's primary intended uses.

Regards,
B

-- hide signature --

Though we may have precious little, it's still precious...

georgec
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
it's the lens that mounted on the camera makes bigger difference.

Compare Canon 24-70 f2.7 with Pany 12-35mm for the same range. Pany is 1/3 of the weight/volume. So > 10% bigger (volume) in size is not that big of deal. It may feel more firm to grab it.

georgec's gear list:georgec's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +8 more
leicalight
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
agree 101%

i have both GH1 and GH2 , i will not "upgrade" to GH3

i dont see advantages, if i want better ergonomic i keep my canon 5D MII or upgrade to III, what i ask to m43 is small size (both bodies and lens)

i m temtpted by the sony RX1, perfect for photojournalism....just a perfect 35mm lens, i dont use at all zoom...l

leicalight
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to Pixnat2, Sep 14, 2012

But this camera is aimed at enthusiats photographers who like to have something more consistent in their hands. I don't see any problem with that. As others have said, there's an option for eveyone now in m4/3.

sorry can you explain why i must buy a small sensor camera with a body almost big like a FF ?

my 5D MII coupled with 28mm 1.8 , 35mm f2 or 40mm f2.8 has almost same size as my GH2 , anyway i need a bag for carry them (both) and GH3 is also bigger then GH2

BrianY
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
In reply to leicalight, Sep 14, 2012

leicalight wrote:

sorry can you explain why i must buy a small sensor camera with a body almost big like a FF ?

my 5D MII coupled with 28mm 1.8 , 35mm f2 or 40mm f2.8 has almost same size as my GH2 , anyway i need a bag for carry them (both) and GH3 is also bigger then GH2

Well, a lot of people just want to have one system. m4/3 offers small, medium, and now a "larger" body option for those that want it (and there will be many that do!)

For many enthusiasts, having two systems is not a financial practicality, as buying redundant lenses for different systems can get quite expensive. Oly and Panny now have a stable of lenses that will meet the needs of many, many photographers. I dare say, even some pros could accomplish much of their work with this equipment. After all, the E-M5 sensor performance is highly comparable to the Canon 7D, and I know many good photogs who use that camera in their arsenal.

So, in answer to your question, no one is telling you that you "must" buy anything. It is simply a choice you have, and choices are always good!!

Regards,
B
--
Though we may have precious little, it's still precious...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads