Some SX 40 Questions

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
PhilInMA
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Some SX 40 Questions
Sep 14, 2012

My beloved SX20 has developed a persistent Lens Error problem that I cannot resolved. The camera works fine until I am in a high humidity environment. I've been looking at the SX 40 & SX 50 and have almost decided to go with the SX 40.

How long does the stock battery last? When I'm on vacation, I have the camera on almost constantly and have been shooting a lot more video lately. i use the EVF almost exclusively. Will the stock battery last a day?

I see a lot of batteries on EBay. Capacities run from 1000mAH to 1400 mAH among the non OEM units, but the genuine Canon is 920 mAH. Any in particular I should avoid? One vendor says their battery is un-decoded and may not be read properly/work properly. Anything I should look out for?

I understand that the SX 50 will be announced next week. The SX40 is $330 at the local Wal-Mart, although it is $349 on their web site. I'm in no major rush to buy, but my next trip is 31 October. Would anyone like to speculate on how low the price might drop as the SX 50 is rolled out? Might it drop to $300 or below?

iAnoop
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: Some SX 40 Questions
In reply to PhilInMA, Sep 14, 2012

With stock battery, I am easily able to shoot 350 photos, few videos and enough time to review the shot. It's upon you how much time you are taking to shoot 350 photos.

Better to some third party battery which is chargeable with stock charger and they also give you decent backup. I have 2 third party battery with same 920 mah and they are good.

Just get review of battery whether they are good.There are some people who are using more powerful battery with no issue.

-- hide signature --
 iAnoop's gear list:iAnoop's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to iAnoop, Sep 14, 2012

I have never purchased a Canon brand battery as a replacement or back-up, and most were of a higher strength. Been doing this for years. I generally purchase from Sterlingtek. But when I went to buy a couple more batteries for my SX40, they didn't carry them. So I went elsewhere.

I am completely confident in the quality of off brands. At least to this point in time, I wouldn't do it any other way. 100% good experiences.

James Cafferty
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?
In reply to PhilInMA, Sep 14, 2012

PhilInMA wrote:

Snip...

I see a lot of batteries on EBay. Capacities run from 1000mAH to 1400 mAH among the non OEM units, but the genuine Canon is 920 mAH. Any in particular I should avoid? One vendor says their battery is un-decoded and may not be read properly/work properly. Anything I should look out for?

My second battery is always the genuine Canon Brand because nothing is as important as being able to depend on the battery in your camera. Nothing!

My 3rd battery is usually an off-brand that has favorable customer reviews. I occasionally use the off-brand battery just to make sure it works properly. So far, so good.

But, I have never bought a "chipped" battery until I bought the SX40. Eventually I will buy that 3rd battery. Meanwhile, the Canon batteries last a long, long time for my purposes (very little video).

Claims of 1000mAh or higher really don't mean much. Who is able to test the battery to see if it really meets specs? And if it fails six months from now it may seem unimportant considering the low $$$ cost. But, how do you put a price on the pictures/video you were unable to shoot - due to a defective battery? What if it was a Birthday Party or Graduation Ceremony?
--
All the best,
Jim

Photographers take pictures; the camera is only a tool.

altendky
Contributing MemberPosts: 613
Like?
In reply to James Cafferty, Sep 15, 2012

The thing is that you can buy four off-brand for less than the price of one genuine Canon... unless prices have come down?

raywes
Contributing MemberPosts: 597Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhilInMA, Sep 15, 2012

$330 for the sx40 is already ridiculously low considering the amout of camera your getting for the money. I may just get another to have in case the sx50 is not up to par compared to the sx40 as my sx40 is approachiong 1 year of heavy use/30,000 + shots.

Did I miss something as far as the sx50 being announced next week? Have not heard that yet but I wouldn't doubt it.

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
In reply to raywes, Sep 15, 2012

I have not bought a backup battery for my SX40 so I cannot comment directly on that. But for my Sony NEX7, I read a lot of comments that people found that after a year or so, the capacity of the third party batteries dropped significantly, whereas the Sony branded batteries kept their capacity for many years. I am not sure if it is an age or a cumulative usage issue. Anyway, for the NEX7 I opted for the more expensive Sony battery.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
altendky
Like?
In reply to raywes, Sep 15, 2012

raywes wrote:

my sx40 is approachiong 1 year of heavy use/30,000 + shots.

Is there good data on the life of P&S cameras as there is for DSLR shutters?

pdqgp
Forum ProPosts: 10,091Gear list
Like?
I've yet to really have one die
In reply to altendky, Sep 15, 2012

altendky wrote:

raywes wrote:

i have over 20 digital cameras dating back to mid/late 90's. None have died. Couple have some quirks and minor issues but more physically related considering they have taken a beating.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,901Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhilInMA, Sep 15, 2012

I have been pleased with the battery life for the SX40.
So far I have not had the need to purchase a back-up battery.

I usually keep a car charger handy just in case though. The SX40 is my secondary camera so my other system gets more usage.
GR

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
altendky
Like?
Re: I've yet to really have one die
In reply to pdqgp, Sep 15, 2012

Any guess as to shutter count? 10's of thousands? 100's of thousands? Just looking for some vague guesstimate here...

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to altendky, Sep 15, 2012

altendky wrote:

Any guess as to shutter count? 10's of thousands? 100's of thousands? Just looking for some vague guesstimate here...

-- hide signature --

You are asking for a guesstimate and there are thousands of those. One camera model will click off hundreds of thousands and the next in line won't make it past a thousand, if that. With electronics there is no definitive answer. Older mechanical devices were much better in this regard. Just click away and hope for the best.
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
altendky
Like?
In reply to DonA2, Sep 15, 2012

dona2 wrote:

altendky wrote:

-- hide signature --

You are asking for a guesstimate and there are thousands of those.

Guesstimate was the wrong word, at least since I left it unqualified. What I should have asked for was how many photos have been taken with YouR camera (with the individual reader being 'you'). I do understand variation within a camera and between cameras.

pdqgp
Forum ProPosts: 10,091Gear list
Like?
Not a clue....
In reply to pdqgp, Sep 16, 2012

I would imagine my Old Sony 717 has the most of all of the non DSLR's as it was and still is one of my favorites.

I use them all as do my kids. Most are 5mp or more. I still have a Nikon 995 I use for macro's.

pdqgp wrote:

altendky wrote:

raywes wrote:

i have over 20 digital cameras dating back to mid/late 90's. None have died. Couple have some quirks and minor issues but more physically related considering they have taken a beating.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads