Nikon Marketing Problems

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,997Gear list
Like?
Re: So, Which Brand(s) Will Be First To Go?
In reply to KRR, Sep 26, 2012

KRR wrote:

You are right on, my friend. It will be interesting--from a business point of view--to watch as the industry commits suicide. The marketplace dynamics of the camera industry is following in the steps of the old American TV industry. The TV factory cemetery is crowded with the tombstones of RCA, Magnavox, Zenith, Curtis-Mathes, ColorTrak, Dimensia, XL-100, Philco, Sylvania, Philips, and GE.

I hear Fuji is not all that committed to their camera business, even though to outsiders like me, they seem very proactive and I am very impressed. I also see Panasonic brand having some stones and we need to remember that Matshushita has huge resources and R&D budgets. Canon and Nikon seem to be playing it safe, copying each other. Maybe a totally new brand get into the game with a real camera with beautiful design. Like, maybe that little design firm called APPLE! So, what does your crystal ball say?

Who cares, companies will come and companies will go, there will always be another brand to buy.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KRR
KRR
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Brands Come and Go You Say what?
In reply to brianj, Sep 27, 2012

Brian, who cares, you say? Have you ever been laid off because your company job went to Mexico or your company went out of business? The USA once made about 10 brands of TV, now there are none. We can't sustain the nation on bartender jobs. We need manufacturing. Manufacturing needs proven marketing. Marketing needs distribution. Distribution needs retailers.

Keep your eye on the trend. Borders is gone, Circuit City is gone, Best Buy is hurting, etc. Your choices are very limited nowadays. Where are your new brands to replace the dead brands? This is complex.

brianj
Like?
Re: Brands Come and Go You Say what?
In reply to KRR, Sep 27, 2012

KRR wrote:

Brian, who cares, you say? Have you ever been laid off because your company job went to Mexico or your company went out of business? The USA once made about 10 brands of TV, now there are none. We can't sustain the nation on bartender jobs. We need manufacturing. Manufacturing needs proven marketing. Marketing needs distribution. Distribution needs retailers.

Keep your eye on the trend. Borders is gone, Circuit City is gone, Best Buy is hurting, etc. Your choices are very limited nowadays. Where are your new brands to replace the dead brands? This is complex.

Ah, that is a completely different matter, why make a headline singling out Nikon, I don't own any nikon gear by the way.

I am in Australia, and the trend is the same here, but we have been supported by the minerals boom, but that can't last. Some are saying 'why not get ready for the next big boom', they say it is in food production, why not deliberately set out to grow massive amounts of food and export it to many countries, can we beat the chinese at this game?

I found out a long time ago that the real secret to beat the system is to stop buying stuff, that is a real game changer, you don't even need to work.

Brian

KRR
KRR
Like?
In reply to brianj, Sep 27, 2012

Brian, the materialistic problem is promoted by the one-eyed Zionist monster, color TV. You are right, that we don't really need all this stuff. In America, we are all paying very big money for cell phone service, fuel has doubled, food is way up because 40% of our corn is being pumped into gas tanks. Do Americans really need 4,000 sq. ft. houses with bonus rooms? Do we really need leather seats in our cars? Do we really need Leica?

brianj
Like?

KRR wrote:

Brian, the materialistic problem is promoted by the one-eyed Zionist monster, color TV. You are right, that we don't really need all this stuff. In America, we are all paying very big money for cell phone service, fuel has doubled, food is way up because 40% of our corn is being pumped into gas tanks. Do Americans really need 4,000 sq. ft. houses with bonus rooms? Do we really need leather seats in our cars? Do we really need Leica?

The people of the US have traditionally been extremely well off, paying much less than the rest of the world for all commodities, so it could be coming as a bit of a shock to see how the rest of the world lives, but you will all get over it and readjust. The first step for each individual is the realisation of what is the root cause, then change comes from within, instead of looking for the government to fix things.

Brian

IZO100
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
Re: Nikon Marketing Problems

wow, that was pathetic.

onedawg
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

1952 called, KRR. They'd like you to come back.

joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Re: So, Which Brand(s) Will Be First To Go?

KRR wrote:

I hear Fuji is not all that committed to their camera business, even though to outsiders like me, they seem very proactive and I am very impressed. I also see Panasonic brand having some stones and we need to remember that Matshushita has huge resources and R&D budgets. Canon and Nikon seem to be playing it safe, copying each other. Maybe a totally new brand get into the game with a real camera with beautiful design. Like, maybe that little design firm called APPLE! So, what does your crystal ball say?

Fuji has to be proactive because they currently don't have a system, unlike Canon and Nikon who have well established, mature systems. Fuji's current system is so incomplete it's almost laughable. Their longest available focal length is 90mm (equivalent). You have ONE zoom option. If they want to have any chance of competing with Canon and Nikon, they need to be releasing lenses as quickly as possible. It's going to take years to catch up regardless.

What is a "real camera"? If it's an interchangeable lens camera, a company needs more than just a "beautiful" body for a system. My crystal ball says that Apple with NEVER even attempt to get into that market as it's so widely divergent from their current products. They have no experience designing even a point and shoot camera (or did they make some attempt years ago?), let alone a multi-function tool designed to be used by a wide range of photo enthusiasts and pros.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
KRR
KRR
Like?
Nikon Needs Apple Product Planners
In reply to joejack951, Sep 27, 2012

JoeJack, thanks for your input. Conventional wisdom would say Apple will avoid cameras, but Apple is not conventional. Their product planning is exceptional and they have the stones to try anything. I wish Nikon would hire some Apple marketing guys who could help Nikon break away from the pack, instead of playing it safe. I still see problems with Nikon marketing. I also think Fuji is doing strategic thinking and I hope Fuji sticks with it. Canon, to me, is still a photocopier. Sorry, no offense.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon Needs Apple Product Planners

KRR wrote:

Canon, to me, is still a photocopier. Sorry, no offense.

Wow, you are as nutty as the OP. Canon has been making cameras since the 1930s and Copiers since the 1970s. "Still" a photocopier?

I don't care if you like Canon, but at least dislike them with some legitimacy.

KRR
KRR
Like?
Stop Emoting!
In reply to tkbslc, Sep 27, 2012

Hey, man, why all the anger. Lighten up. I said it was my opinion that I think of Canon brand as a photocopier! I also said "no offense".

This is a forum for adult discussion. If you are going to lecture everyone with a divergent opinion or editorial style, then you must be ate up with insecurity. Think about it, what if your opinion is dead wrong? So what! We don't care; so, why do you feel the need to correct total strangers whose only crime was to have a different opinion of the Canon brand.

Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,939Gear list
Like?
You first!

KRR wrote:

Hey, man, why all the anger. Lighten up. I said it was my opinion that I think of Canon brand as a photocopier! I also said "no offense".

You're an adult. You know that saying something offensive is not legitimized by adding "no offense" or a smiley.

This is a forum for adult discussion.

And yet, you ignored the most on-topic and "adult" responses to your comments, and only responded emotionally and politically.

Don't emote, indeed, Mr. Kettle...

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Stop Emoting!

KRR wrote:

Angry? Who said I was angry? I was merely pointing out the error and lunacy of dismissing the worlds largest camera company as a photocopier.

Also, no offense doesn't really work. I mean, "no offense, but your wife is less attractive than a shaved llama", is still an insult.

joejack951
Like?
Re: Nikon Needs Apple Product Planners
In reply to KRR, Sep 28, 2012

KRR wrote:

JoeJack, thanks for your input. Conventional wisdom would say Apple will avoid cameras, but Apple is not conventional. Their product planning is exceptional and they have the stones to try anything. I wish Nikon would hire some Apple marketing guys who could help Nikon break away from the pack, instead of playing it safe. I still see problems with Nikon marketing. I also think Fuji is doing strategic thinking and I hope Fuji sticks with it. Canon, to me, is still a photocopier. Sorry, no offense.

Well, I had a nice long reply typed and accidentally closed my tab. I don't feel like retyping it all so I'll shorten it to this. If you want some proof of Canon not being a copier, go check out the MP-E 65mm macro lens. I'd almost consider shooting Canon just to be able to use that lens.

If you have some more time, can you provide some examples for the comments you've made about Apple above (not conventional and stones).

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
KRR
KRR
Like?
RCA is like Nikon
In reply to Berghof, Sep 28, 2012

You may be too young to know this...but Nikon and RCA are very similar and what happened to RCA can happen to Nikon.

RCA, like Nikon, was #1 in market share, had a very competent design department, the most professional distributor network, and a good brand image. Like RCA, Nikon can go out of business if they continue to make major distribution mistakes. The consumer is no longer brand loyal, hell many youngsters are not even brand aware. I shoot Nikon, but they are going out of business. Not next quarter, but down the road a bit. If you do not agree, that is okay. I will not call you stupid or put you down. So, don't you do it to me, please. This is just one man's opinion. I like vanilla, you may like chocolate. So what.

Sante Patate
Senior MemberPosts: 3,441
Like?
Putting your money where your mouth is ...

KRR wrote:

How long have you worked for Nikon?

I don't work for Nikon. Neither do you, I imagine. I don't own any Nikon stock. Neither do you, I imagine. If you want to run the company, you really need to do one or the other. Especially since the people running it now are doing fine, according to folk who put their money where their mouth is.

After being badly hit by the GFC in 2008, Nikon's stock price has doubled and has risen steadily over the last four years ( http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/7731?countrycode=jp ).

If you believe what you say, why don't you find some patsy to contract to buy a couple of million bucks worth of Nikon stock in, say, two years, at, say, 50% of current value? You will make a killing when the price is 25% of current value.

joejack951
Like?
Re: RCA is like Nikon

KRR wrote:

You may be too young to know this...but Nikon and RCA are very similar and what happened to RCA can happen to Nikon.

Televisions are very different from interchangeable lens camera systems. I don't care who my next TV is made by. I'll buy, as I always have, on features, styling, and price. My next DSLR body will definitely be a Nikon (though that'll be many years as I just acquired a D3S) and certainly my next lens or flash will be Nikon. Nothing about brand loyalty just the realities of buying into a system. It makes more sense to stick with it. I don't own anything for my TV that will only work with another TV from the same brand that I'd want to keep using years down the road when I replace my current box.

KRR
KRR
Like?
Re: Seems the OP rubbed a tender spot?
In reply to s majesk, Oct 30, 2012

Thank you for a  considered reply without insulting me.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
In reply to KRR, Oct 30, 2012

KRR wrote:

Per your request, here are some marketing SNAFUs:

1. Nikon full-line catalog shows only 2 pages for their wonderful film camera line.

What, the F6 and the FM10 (which is manufactured by someone else) - do you call that a "line"? - If they devoted 20 pages in their catalogue to those to cameras do you really think they would somehow sell more?

Nikon probably only continue to sell the F6 out of sentimentality - or perhaps they have a few important industrial and scientific customers that need them - or maybe they just have a bunch left in their warehouses unsold.

The FM10 is a cheap SLR made by someone else (Cosina?) - why anyone would buy one of those over a good condition FM2 or FM3a beats me.

There must be enough Nikon film cameras in good condition available to satisfy the needs of the film photographers that remain for several decades to come.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Teenaged girls are killing photography
In reply to KRR, Oct 30, 2012

KRR wrote:

Teenaged girls are killing photography as an artform.

Teenage Japanese girls are an artform.

http://tokyofashion.com/

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads