First A99 RAW samples

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
George Evans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
First A99 RAW samples
Sep 13, 2012

I don't know if this has already been posted but the first A99 RAW samples are online.

Link from SAR

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-first-a99-full-size-raw-image-samples-at-quesabesde/

George Evans
http://www.wirralpix.com

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,142Gear list
Like?
Re: First A99 RAW samples
In reply to George Evans, Sep 13, 2012

Thanks for sharing. I quickly checked the jpg they posted. At full resolution, I still don't like what I see.

Some shots are obviously suffering from motion blur. I am very puzzled how little thorough those cameras are put to test.

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Endos
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?

The images are JPGs directly from the camera. RAW files are linked below each image.

renato55
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

I saw the link, I do not really understand how Sony give in trial his top camera to these men, who took these pictures maybe can be a great scientist, but it's certainly not a good photographer, taking pictures are so bad that it is impossible to have a opinion of the camera

moimoi
Like?
In reply to renato55, Sep 13, 2012

renato55 wrote:

I saw the link, I do not really understand how Sony give in trial his top camera to these men, who took these pictures maybe can be a great scientist, but it's certainly not a good photographer, taking pictures are so bad that it is impossible to have a opinion of the camera

Indeed Renato! Very disappointing to see those bad samples after bad samples.

Someday I will
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Ouch!

Well, i've done some quick tests with latest version of Sony IDC. Can't post images because of bandwidth limitations, but i'm seeing some noticeable noise when lifting shadows, and the 2000 and 2500 samples are VERY noisy... the 3200 and upper performance must be to cry for...

Frankly a bad performance for a FF sensor, even with SLT light-loss penalty i'm surprised Sony did this bad. I find quite comical that Nikon does much better with Sony sensors than Sony themselves...

Yes, I know the excuses: bad photographer, wait to final firmware, etc... but folks, let's be realistic, remember what happened with first a77 samples: the exact same thing and the same excuses, but reality was clear: Sony screwed up. One year later Sony screwed up, again.

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,467Gear list
Like?
Re: Ouch!
In reply to Someday I will, Sep 13, 2012

Someday I will wrote:

Well, i've done some quick tests with latest version of Sony IDC. Can't post images because of bandwidth limitations, but i'm seeing some noticeable noise when lifting shadows, and the 2000 and 2500 samples are VERY noisy... the 3200 and upper performance must be to cry for...

Frankly a bad performance for a FF sensor, even with SLT light-loss penalty i'm surprised Sony did this bad. I find quite comical that Nikon does much better with Sony sensors than Sony themselves...

Yes, I know the excuses: bad photographer, wait to final firmware, etc... but folks, let's be realistic, remember what happened with first a77 samples: the exact same thing and the same excuses, but reality was clear: Sony screwed up. One year later Sony screwed up, again.

What do you exactly compare to? And how?

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
renato55
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

I was not satisfied with the first photos of the A77 and now, after 10 month of use I want to sell my A77 anyway, to go to FF or come back to Olympus, but if the quality of the A99 is not outstanding is very hard to me to buy one.

BTW if Olympus had already released a E7 or a professional m4 / 3 I already left my A77 (which I was very disappointed for my needs)

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to renato55, Sep 13, 2012

The JPEG's, you don't know if noise reduction is on or off. I think in the series of ISO pictures NR is turned off, so you basically have RAW performance here.

The RAW's I took a look with Sony's PMB, ISO2500 looks very good, a little noise in the out of focus parts, that's all and to be expected at ISO2500, you can't have noise free images at this point, at least not in RAW.

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975
Like?

YAY Finally!
Downloading now

Thanks for sharing George Evans

moimoi
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Sep 13, 2012

Tell me whether you find them sharp. There is only one that look good (the woman's profile with the hat), but that's about it.

Now off topic, just check the samples taken with the Sigma DP2 Merrill,+ and let me know about sharpness

+ The camera itself is not that interesting, but what the Foveon sensor delivers is just outstanding. Just keep in mind I am a Sony user (and not a troll for those people who believe the opposite) not a Sigma user.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975
Like?

Someday I will wrote:

I think you'll find that any camera will show considerable noise when pulling up ISO2000 and 2500 shadows. Also did take note of the histogram on those two images?

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to moimoi, Sep 13, 2012

I made a screenshot of some RAW images which I opened in Sony PMB software. Can't edit though.

First one, ISO2500 (shutter speed of 1/80s which gives motion blur, so not really sharp)

Second one, ISO2000 (shutter speed of 1/60s)

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
In reply to George Evans, Sep 15, 2012

The raw samples are horribly under exposed, and with bad color balance.

I downloaded some raw samples 2000 ISO and 2500 ISO.

Converted them to 16bit tif in the' Sony image data convertor, with sharpening, dro, and nr off.

Adjusted the exposure and color balance.

The ISO2000 needs a +1EV compensation and should be judged more as ISO4000.

The ISO2500 needs a +1,5EV and should be judged more as ISO 6400.

Processed both tiff files through ACR with process 2013 for chroma and luminance noise reduction.

My first conclusions,.

The A99 seems one step better at high iso3200 than the a900, and a 1/2 step at iso6400 than the a900.

And is probably very close to the D600, D3X and canon 5DIII.

Better exposed pictures and direct conversion through lightroom, and final production firmware, could gives a better result.

With the 1/2 stop light loss of the translucent mirror it is not a bad result.

Some results and crops:

Dustinash
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Sep 16, 2012

It is good to know how the sensor reacts to underexposure. Im an event photographer and it is very common to get underexposed photos when your riding the edge between ambient light and a little fill. I like to see how much noise it produces when that occurs.

So far looks a tad better then a77. holds better detail But this is so preliminary as to be meaningless. I think sony is restricting release. Ill go see what the d600 is doing and judge sonys performance from there. End of day.. same sensor.. will be within pretty similar range of each other.

Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dustinash, Sep 16, 2012

Dustinash wrote:

Ill go see what the d600 is doing and judge sonys performance from there. End of day.. same sensor.. will be within pretty similar range of each other.

I doubt that D600 is using Sony sensor, more likely a Aptina.

Archer66's gear list:Archer66's gear list
Sony a77 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads