Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,447
Like?
Re: More assumptions.
In reply to dennismullen, Sep 15, 2012

dennismullen wrote:

jerome_munich wrote:

More thoughts have occurred to me than you seem to imagine, including the though that the most vocal pro-EVF members of this forum may simply be shills paid to convince future buyers.

Even more amazing are the non-paid volunteers who methodically counter every instance of objection with cut and past bullet points.

Yeah, differing opinions can be tough.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sinc
Contributing MemberPosts: 545
Like?
Re: No Sony SLRs any more, ever.
In reply to Piginho, Sep 16, 2012

Very interesting.

My experience is that the human angle of vision is about 50 degees with any reliable visual perception. Peripheral vision can be 120+ degrees but not with high resolution. Thus, the normal lens (50mm) approximates normal human vision. It has somewhere around a 50-degrees angle of vision.

The human eye has only 1.2 million nerve endings. It might be difficult to argue that it can see more than 1.2 million pixels.

Light and vision are very complex scientific topics, and I don't know much about them. But I throw out these observations for discussion.

I have been using EVFs since the Minolta A1 (0.8MP). They work well. Currently I use a Sony A55 with a EVF which works better than any camera I've every used. However, I haven't used the high-end $3,000+ cameras.

Joesph T. Sinclair, Author, San Francisco Bay Area

sinc
Contributing MemberPosts: 545
Like?
Re: No Sony SLRs - they might want to reconsider...
In reply to CFynn, Sep 16, 2012

Nikon has been bred into everyone's bones since the 1950s. Some have a huge number of legacy lenses. So the popularity of Nikon's OVFs is no measure of the validity of OVFs as an enduring design. The eye is the limiting factor, not the electronics. EFV are more versatile and will endure.

Joesph T. Sinclair, Author, San Francisco Bay Area

GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
In reply to sinc, Sep 16, 2012

The eye works more like a videostream. The resulting image in the brain is much higher than the receptors in the brain, up to 100 megapixels of more depending of the suspected angle of view.

The dynamic range of the eye is greater than any film or digital camera. At least a 10000 range in contrast detection. But much higher in low contrast scenes.

altendky
Contributing MemberPosts: 613
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Sep 16, 2012

GuyMcKie wrote:

At least a 10000 range in contrast detection.

If you are saying 10,000:1... note that that is just over 13 stops, same as the A77 according to DXOMark.

altendky
Like?
In reply to Draek, Sep 16, 2012

Draek wrote:

Ohh, and if you really think you can discern 36 Mpx's worth of detail with your naked eye in the tiny view of a 35mm OVF, you're completely and utterly nuts.

Would you be willing to hazard an estimate of the angular FOV of an OVF as it presents itself to the eye? APS-C and/or FF?

GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
In reply to altendky, Sep 16, 2012

Thats the worst case situation, very bright light with hard contrast. At least 1/1000000 at night with full moon (faintest star against full moonlight).

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,937Gear list
Like?
Is this thread from 2010?
In reply to jerome_munich, Sep 16, 2012

Sony said that their future was with the SLT model; it was not a "prediction." And, despite false hopes engendered by some on this forum, and repeated by amateur rumor sites, Sony has never hesitated in following their stated path.

and "what the competition will do..." was also decided some time ago...

It's almost like some people here fell asleep two years ago and just woke up.

Yes, Virginia, there may be a Santa Claus, but there's not gonna be an A600.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
altendky
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Sep 16, 2012

That's up to 20 stops, though I would guess that that is based on exposure readjustment by looking at a bright object then at another point in time at a dim object?

Makes me wonder about adjusting the exposure during live view based on where in the image the operator is looking (eye tracking is old technology) to attempt to compensate for this. Of course, you would want to be able to flip that on or off depending on whether you want the 'DR' or 'WYSIWYG' characteristics at the time.

I'm not arguing that an EVF does not have some DR related shortcomings, just pondering the issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads