No Sony SLRs any more, ever.

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
jerome_munich
Contributing MemberPosts: 744
Like?
No Sony SLRs any more, ever.
Sep 13, 2012

With the issue of the A99, it now clear that the prediction was right: Sony will not issue a SLR with an OVF any more, ever. Not even for full frame cameras.

It remains to be seen what the competition will do.

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,841Gear list
Like?
Re: No Sony SLRs any more, ever.
In reply to jerome_munich, Sep 13, 2012

Excellent news, technology marches on, consumers are the winners.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?

jerome_munich wrote:

With the issue of the A99, it now clear that the prediction was right: Sony will not issue a SLR with an OVF any more, ever. Not even for full frame cameras.

That has been clear to all here except for one A600 user for a long time already.

EVF is the future.

two_stanley
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?

It took you this long to realize this? The writing was on the wall for the longest time, OVF users are just in denial

touche56
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Sep 13, 2012

Sony will never give you an OVF as long as they are still developing the SLT technology and that is not a bad thing.

EVF's were damn horrible in the beginning but the latest Sony SLT's are pretty good.

Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?

That Sony was going all SLT and mirror less has been known for some time. Canon and Nikon are much more tied to legacy systems.

The Nikon 1 "system" is an attempt to deny that the world has changed and Canon does not exactly have decent performance with its first attempt at sensor based focusing. May be too many Sony patents or just lack of expertise when suddenly going in another direction. After all Sony seem to have shocked themselves with the take up of the Nex.

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,258Gear list
Like?

jerome_munich wrote:

Sure! We all know!

After using EVF cameras for a while I know why! Never missed the A900 after getting the A77

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A99
rob asnong
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?

I was a long time OVF user. Now I have the A77 for almost a year. I can only say it is hard to grab my A580 or my A700 since. I will never buy a SLR anymore with an OVF.

It is not perfect yet, but the advantages outplays the disadvantages by a big margin.

I think most of the EVF whiners here never used it for a longer period. Maybe they tried it in store only. I certainly don't understand the fuss about the EVF darkness in dark situations. The EVF is on the contrary much more useful in dark light. I can still see all I need in situations where the OVF of my A700 shows my nothing at all but full darkness.

A friend of mine has a D7000. After feeling the ergonomics of the A77 and viewing through the EVF of the A77 during an afternoon, he sold his D7000 immediately and now has a A77 in order. And I used his D7000. It is for sure that the A77 has far better ergonomics and has a better grip when holding during a longer time.

I have to accept a little more noise compared to my A580 but the A77 is such a nice camera to use (the ergonomics, the EVF, even the sound, yes the sound ;-)) that I grab it every time. I have to force myself to use my A580. A camera is more then noise at pixel level. With an EVF camera you have the perfect shot in one attempt against maybe three or more with an OVF camera.

Rob
--
http://www.picasaweb.google.be/alphamember

rob asnong's gear list:rob asnong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +9 more
Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
evf and .....
In reply to rob asnong, Sep 13, 2012

Not only evf....also auto iso in M mode is the future too regardless you are shooting raw or jpeg...

Piginho
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, Sep 13, 2012

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Excellent news, technology marches on, consumers are the winners.

Whilst I'm not trying to make this another EVF v OVF debate, all 8 replies seem to suggest that the OP shouldn't be bemoaning the loss of OVF from Sony, but should in fact, be embracing the new technology.

I can see many benefits to EVF and I'm sure that all of you are sold on these undeniable benefits, but please understand that there are some of us who don't believe that these benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

I prefer the older technology of the human eye itself, being able to resolve from 150-250X the detail of the Sony EVF.

That's why I've just taken the plunge and purchased a minty A900. The acuity of the human eye beats the EVF by such a huge factor, that I will always pine for OVF, just like the OP.

That doesn't mean that I'll never go EVF, as at some point I may want to benefit from some of it's features, or maybe EVF will get resolution that gets closer to the human eye, but in the meantime, all you EVF lovers continue to enjoy your EVF, but don't knock people like myself and the OP, who have different priorities and like to work in a different way.

BTW, I'd love Sony to bring out a new A9 with 36 megapixel sensor, no video mode, OVF with a variety of optional overlays, like grid, horizon, histograms etc in the viewfinder. For me, that would be a basis for a perfect professional stills camera.

lonewolf69
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,345Gear list
Like?

Jerome - "...what the competition will do..."

Nikon just threw down the gauntlets with their D600 FF 24mp with FULL VIEW 100% OVF... I'm still going to love my A900 sans video and sans Live View...

IF/WHEN the EVF works in indoors lower light (hint NOT dark) without the noise, then maybe I'll bite, but sorry SONY did NOT bring out an EVF that satisfies this OVF user...

jerome_munich wrote:

-- hide signature --

-Alex

From the minds of Minolta to the imagination of Sony, Alpha, like no other.

http://www.pbase.com/lonewolf69

lonewolf69's gear list:lonewolf69's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,058Gear list
Like?

jerome_munich wrote:

...and I also predict that Sony will not issue any more film SLR's!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
WMcCann
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to rob asnong, Sep 13, 2012

Hi

get the 135mm STF and show the naysayers focus peeking in the viewfinder- for manual focus it is a lifesaver, allowing me to use probably the best lens out there!!!

W.

SiriusA
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to lonewolf69, Sep 13, 2012

Yup, I suppose with my next SLR purchase, I'll have to go back to Nikon. Sony has decided to go with gimmicks.

Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,108
Like?
In reply to SiriusA, Sep 13, 2012

Good God... we knew this when the A55 was launched - get with the programme!

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,970
Like?

jerome_munich wrote:

Good riddance!
We've been dragging this archaic technology around with us long enough.
It was long overdue imo.

And congratulations to Sony for having the back bone to get things done right. Because it doesn't look like anyone else had the chops.

gooseta
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Sep 13, 2012

Although evf even on the a55 is great, sony may lose quite a bit of sales w/ the ovf drop due to ovf fanbois
--
Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
NEW SITE : angadsrin.zenfolio.com

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +1 more
santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?

In other news, the sales figures for film cameras do not appear to be poised to rebound.

love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740
Like?
In reply to WMcCann, Sep 13, 2012

WMcCann wrote:

Hi

get the 135mm STF and show the naysayers focus peeking in the viewfinder- for manual focus it is a lifesaver, allowing me to use probably the best lens out there!!!

W.

+1

The only alpha lens I own and I bought it when the NEX was launched. LV FF alpha body is exactly what I need (until the NEX9 comes out that is).

rothwells
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?

jerome_munich wrote:

Good riddence. Old technology like OVF should just die and move out of the way.

rothwells's gear list:rothwells's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads