RX100 has cured my GAS for the first time ever

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
RX100 has cured my GAS for the first time ever
Sep 13, 2012

I think this is the first round of new photo announcements that I actually haven't placed at least one pre-order for new gear, which is quite a feat considering there is some pretty impressive gear announced.

Fuji XE-1, Sony NEX6, RX1, A99 et al ? All sound great but my wallet stayed in my back pocket for a change, due in large part to the recent little RX100 I bought.

Don't get me wrong, the RX1 sounds very cool, and price isn't really an issue, but I just don't feel any real need for it.

Same goes with the NEX6, the host of new E-mount glass, and/or the XE-1 and some of the sweet Fuji Xmount lenses on the road map. Both sound like exceptional cameras/systems for quite amazing prices when you consider just how much camera your getting for sub $1k, but again, I feel there is no real need for them with the RX100.

Certainly the RX100 isn't as good, but since my needs are simply an easy to carry, even daily at times, compact with good image quality for general photography, its able to meet and usually exceed those requirements.

I'll admit it, I did think about the RX1 when I saw the preorder links go up, but then I asked myself, for what or where would I use the RX1 to make it worth buying ?

How would I carry it ?

Do I see my photographic style, free time, or travel plans changing anytime soon to the point where I need to totally rethink my equipment ?

In years past, no matter if I was shooting NEX, m4/3, an XPro system, carrying the X1 or X100, a M8.2 or M9, various DSLR's and a host of compacts, it was always that question for something better because nothing was quite right.

Really the main issue looking back was ease of carry. I'd switch from NEX to m4/3 because I wasn't shooting the NEX system.

I blamed it on lack of lenses, or lack of IBIS or too slow of AF etc, but really it was simply that I didn't want to carry it, small as it was.

Same thing goes for the XPro, EM-5 etc, and of course when I had compacts like the LX5, XZ1 and others the issue was then the IQ wasn't good enough, so I'd go back to a CSC.

I've finally got a camera I actually take with me places, and that has IQ that while not perfect, really hasn't yet left me wishing I had something better with me ever.

Certainly it isn't all due just to the RX100, part of it is that I've realized there is no need to buy, say a $2800 camera, just to take some snapshots on a walk with a bit shallower DoF and to downsize to 1000 pixels and show off online. There is no money made just in online peers saying "nice rendering style" to my post in threads after all.

I'll save the serious gear purchases for those items that generate returns in my business, but some new lighting etc is pretty boring stuff. Its simply tools, not toys.

Toys are what is fun. Toys are what we can't wait for UPS to deliver. Toys are what we talk about day after day online. Tools I used today such as D3s and 24-70 G lens for shooting a basketball media guide aren't exciting.

Toys are what we get GAS over, and up til the RX100, toys are what I'd always have to put at least one preorder in for every time new gear is announced.

I guess perhaps I'm finally growing up so to speak and finally putting the toys away

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X1 Nikon D3S Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
s majesk
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
Re: RX100 has cured my GAS for the first time ever
In reply to millsart, Sep 13, 2012

I'm in complete agreement.

And, the RX100 is no toy, but an
always at the ready, photographic tool.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mikekiwimike
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

Hi, I couldn't agree more with your thoughts, and thanks for sharing them.

I am not a Pro photographer but have been a fairly enthusiastic amateur for around 50 years in which time I have owned most of the Nikon Pro cameras from the F1 thru the F5 as well as Nikomat, D1 etc, as well as many very fine, expensive and heavy lenses.

I have enjoyed both the results of this fine gear and just as much - the tactile feeling of using such beautiful equipment. I too have realized that I am not carrying my D700 where I should be and where I did on a recent long distance mainly off road motorcycle trip, it was a real pain in the butt! Size and weight, not too mention the time to unpack the camera before using so I eventually left it in my main bag and used my little Samsung P & S. Actually the results were better than I thought they would be and this persuaded me to look for a better P & S and eventually I stumbled on the RX100 or rather reviews of it. Trying to buy locally was met with "It is special order only and will be 2-3 weeks , but we really don't know' response. Tried two national Camera shops and neither could tell me how long for delivery so went to B & H Photo and they had it in stock at a lower price and I am hoping to receive it tomorrow. I am now in the process of selling all of my Nikon DSLR gear. Big step but the camera you have with you is the one that works, and I plan to have the RX100 with most of the time.

Sorry to be so long winded but I suspect there are many serious photographers out there who will be prepared to accept a little less IQ in exchange for the convenience of this little camera.

BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
Me too -- selling some DSLR lenses to get RX100 ...
In reply to mikekiwimike, Sep 13, 2012

mikekiwimike wrote:

... I am now in the process of selling all of my Nikon DSLR gear. Big step but the camera you have with you is the one that works, and I plan to have the RX100 with most of the time.

Well I agree with the above posts and believe that the RX100 will meet the majority of my amateur needs too. So I am selling my 10-24mm and 70-300mm lenses to get the $600 for the RX100. I am keeping the DSLR with my 18-250 for: (1) serious flash shooting, (2) 1:1 macro, and (3) the occasional telephoto/candid (grand kids) (375mm equivalent vs 100mm on the RX100)

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
pricklypear
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Regarding the Sony RX1

It's early on yet. Plenty of time to rethink your neurosis. Come December I would suggest staying away from camera stores.

I would like to avoid buying the RX1 too, but I'm a realist and I know things happen.

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?

That's a good, long analysis. Reelecting this matter myself, I am using RX100 almost exclusively these days, partially due to busy work schedule, partially due to the fact that Rx100 has the lens range covering most what I need. Yes there will be some occasions that I still need my DSLRs: weekend birding, beauty shots, school performance which I am counted as the "official photog", all those are not for profit but fun stuff. If I do have a week off, alone, going into national parks for dedicated photo trip, I am sure all my gears and suitcase can be useful. So all I am saying is that RX100 (or other capable compact) will not retire my DSLRs, but rather expand my photo opportunity, to time & place that's not possible or convenient for DSLR.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,092
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Sep 13, 2012

Since I never buy the first iteration of a new technology camera, it's gonna be PAINFUL waiting for the successor to this fine camera.

Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411
Like?
In reply to theranman, Sep 13, 2012

Good post. I think Sony has finally listened to Steve Jobs of Heaven and focused on usability creating this gem. RX100 is a pure joy and fun to use. It's VERY easy to use for total noobs yet has tons of features for very advanced users. We can talk all day long about some features missing, etc. The bottomline, me and you probably wouldn't buy this camera if it wouldn't fit in our pocket regardless of features (I wouldn't). The IQ (DR, Noise, colors, etc.) is not only equal, it is BETTER than many much larger cameras with actual usable resolution even exceeding many current DSLRs (unless coupled with very expensive lenses).

Just try RX100 long exposure, the result is MUCH better than what I was getting with T2i especially in Raw. AF during video is faster than any DSLR I’ve seen by a mile. The current price is perharps not for budget concious but it’s definitely fair. I paid $350 for Canon S100 and felt totally ripped off (poor, grainy IQ especially in low light, choppy, unusable video, very slow, hit & miss AF, terrible flash, etc. would never recommend it to anyone even though I liked S90 very much but those were different times). Now paid $650 for RX100 and feel like it’s actually a good deal. Everything like it should: great colors, nice AWB, very sharp, detailed pictures scross almost entire frame, insanely good video at 60p, HDR feature is super useful, MFNR is a real breakthrough, 6400 from a pocket cam is now fully usable. 10fps bust mode, tiltable flash – simple but huge improvement in photography right there. Tracking focus is actually more clever than touch to focus cause you only need to select your object once and then you can recompose as you wish and your subject can move. I’d still keep your DSLR or mirrorless body with that portrait lens for shallow DoF and that’s all you need (except I’m keeping a telephoto also). I just don't want folks buying RX100 for shallow DoF, it's not what it's for:)

Russell Dawkins
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?

I also agree completely with this perspective on the relative merits of the RX100. Portability has always been important to me, such that the advantages the RX100 holds over even the Leica Dlux 4 I currently use are significant to me.

I think I prefer the colour rendering of the Leica, but I have to admit I prefer the still-smaller size, the resolution and especially the low light capability of the RX 100.

So, in spite of my respect for Leica and my long-time antipathy towards Sony, the RX100 makes good sense to me.

I know I would use it more and be disappointed in the results less often.

Russell Dawkins's gear list:Russell Dawkins's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
beespeckled
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050Gear list
Like?
LOL pricklypear
In reply to pricklypear, Sep 13, 2012

getting back to the OP, I know what you mean. I have a dslr that I enjoy, but couldn't resist the siren song of a good, have with me anywhere compact (after the price went down anyway on a "like new" condition X10) If I didn't already have my X10 the RX100 would be at the top of my list.

Night sky shots, wildlife & macro I use my a33, but for just knocking around, going to the city or for travel I'm finding the x10 my go to!

At this point, I think I have the lens ranges covered for my a33. Maybe upgrade a lens at some point since most of my lenses are budget ones. I'm quite content with my photo gear with a few minor exceptions.

Everyone has different styles and wants in their photography, it is nice to have options that is for sure..

RE: the RX1. I'm glad I have a credit card limit that prevents me from being able to buy it on impulse. I'm making a list of the negatives (for me) as to why I should not buy an RX1

1) add on expensive viewfinder (I have to have a viewfinder)
2) purchase price, period.
3) what would I use a FF camera for? I'm not making a living in photography.

4) I take mostly boring photos as it is, so I would be taking more expensive mostly boring photos

5) I need a front deck, a new back porch, and to landscape walkways not another camera!

6) I really need to organize my craft/photography hobby area, invest in cabinets/storage so everything has its place (a friend mentioned to me today that fellow sewists will plunk down $7000 for a top of the line whizbang computerized embroidery sewing machine. This analogy doesn't help my resolution, $2800 sounds reasonable to me for a hobby in this context unfortunately. PLUS the RX1 would get me out of the house, into fresh air etc ; ) )
7)I need to take a vacation and use the cameras I have on said vacation
8) the RX1 would have huge files that would rapidly fill up my hard drive

9) I wouldn't be able to let any family or friends see me use the RX1, I would have to furtively use it, since I promised that I would not purchase any more cameras until my a33 no longer worked. It might be hard to convince said family members, that the RX1 is actually my Fuji X10.mmmm I could add a zero on the other side of the 1 to make it say 10??? gotta think on this.. lol

All jesting aside, I am looking forward to the photos created and shown once the RX1 gets into the hands of some photographers and we can see the real life examples

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony SLT-A77 Kodak EasyShare P850 Samsung AQ100 +10 more
Catalin Stavaru
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

Completely agree with you, OP. I sold my NEX-5n because I wasn't using it, it was just too big. And with the RX100 in hand, I don't feel the need of any other camera right now, except the RX1 which would really complement it, but it would be silly to buy such a thing, I have no real need for it. And I suspect that if I had the RX1, I would leave it at home in favor of the RX100.

gadgets
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?

OP thanks for the great informative post. I'm a P&Shooter who cannot afford cameras but had past-GAS in other areas (computers for one).

I enjoyed reading your perspective and the responses it generated. I've been looking to upgrade my S90 for a year but have not seen anything that fits my needs until RX100. I continue to hear more and more great things about this camera but am still biding my time for the moment.

gadgets
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?

theranman wrote:

Since I never buy the first iteration of a new technology camera, it's gonna be PAINFUL waiting for the successor to this fine camera.

LOL, I totally understand. My dilemma as well, though I doubt I will be able to wait until 2nd gen. May wait for xmas sales, but if demand is still high then price may not come down so I'll probably end up buying sooner. Also, since I only have current P&S I will definitely be missing photos by holding out. Also, if 2nd gen comes and there are negligible improvements, then I'll be kicking myself. I waited for 2nd gen Nikon 1 series and have not seen anything announced yet that was worth the wait, but am now glad I did wait because of the RX100.

I bought S90 because of the rave reviews and am still using it today. When S95 came out it fixed many minor issues and I wish I had one but could not justify the expense of upgrading. However, for myself i got so many photos from S90 I would have missed with my other cheaper P&S it justified the early adopter penalty. Subsequently, i missed a number of key shots that I would not have missed on S95 due to interface issues that had been corrected.

This buy/wait game (in my case due to budgetary reasons) is just maddening.

accupix
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
In reply to gadgets, Sep 13, 2012

Agree with post- I am getting great pictures with mt RX100, so good that I am considering selling my R-1. I might do some side-by-side IQ teats first but the RX100 has some neat tricks as well as strong abilities so it gets to go with me everywhere, and gets used everyday. Still keeping 9v for its 24mm, long tele, and E/Z movie ability.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,154Gear list
Like?
In reply to s majesk, Sep 13, 2012

s majesk wrote:

I'm in complete agreement.

And, the RX100 is no toy, but an
always at the ready, photographic tool.

Yes, it may be the GXR killer for me. I keep thinking, sell no while you can get a few dollars, even a great camera is only as good as the support given to it by the company that makes it. The RX100 looks close to perfect for my needs, just update aperture RAW and we are in business.

pricklypear
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Too bad about #9
In reply to beespeckled, Sep 13, 2012

beespeckled wrote:

9) I wouldn't be able to let any family or friends see me use the RX1, I would have to furtively use it, since I promised that I would not purchase any more cameras until my a33 no longer worked. It might be hard to convince said family members, that the RX1 is actually my Fuji X10.mmmm I could add a zero on the other side of the 1 to make it say 10??? gotta think on this.. lol

I could use a Rollei TLR one day, a D800 the next, a Hello Kitty camera the next, an RX100 the next and an RX1 tomorrow, and my wife wouldn't wouldn't notice a thing.

Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
Re: Too bad about #9

Amen brother.

theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,092
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, Sep 13, 2012

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "GAS" stand for?

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

I think your wife might notice a Hello Kitty RX100!

ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,843Gear list
Like?

If you're still GAS free in 6 months I'll be impressed

That being said the RX100 is very very tempting.
--
Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads