Macro SX40?

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions
Lionswings
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Macro SX40?
Sep 12, 2012

Is there an attachment lens to do macro with the sx40?

Salokin
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro SX40?
In reply to Lionswings, Sep 12, 2012

There probably is, but in my experience, you dont really need one. I have the SX 40, and I found that it did macro pretty well for a point and shoot.

If you really want one, or are an experienced shooter and the macro it does now is subpar, I would take a look around Amazon for such things. There were several attachments you could get for filters, a 2x lens kit, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

Salokin's gear list:Salokin's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
altendky
Contributing MemberPosts: 613
Like?
James Cafferty
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?

Lionswings wrote:

This might help:

SX40 (excellent Macro shots)I've been traveling and taking pictures instead, mostly with my SX40. And I continue to be amazed by its ability to zoom in with the 2.0TC from 4½ feet away to get up close and personal with a wonderful world of little creatures. My EF 100mm Macro is getting very jealous.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=42187309

There is a Digital Tele-converter built into the lens. See p.84 and 85 in the Powershot SX40 HS User's Guide. Follow this link to Canon USA site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/other_powershot/powershot_sx40_hs#BrochuresAndManuals

-- hide signature --

All the best,
Jim

Photographers take pictures; the camera is only a tool.

Lionswings
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to James Cafferty, Sep 13, 2012

Thanks so much for the info!

iAnoop
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lionswings, Sep 13, 2012

Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens fits 52 - 67mm

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/raynoxDCR250.php

This is the best macro addon for sx40 and more over it is universal and can be used with almost any camera. and there is no need of any filter adapter with it.

-- hide signature --
 iAnoop's gear list:iAnoop's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Biff Exploder
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lionswings, Sep 13, 2012

Hi, i have a SX40 and a Polaroid 4 lens kit and i just got a Raynox 250, (haven't had the oportunity to test the raynox outside yet)

What i can tell you is that the SX40 is very capable without a macro attachment, but if you have a macro lens, it will help make it even better, now the problem with cheap lenses (like the Polaroid 4 lens kit) is that the quality is not the best at high magnification (+4 and +10 diopter), you get alot of chromatic aberration as you can see in these examples below:

but on the lower diopters (+1 and +2) it is practically inexistent and these are very useful to get macros from far away as you can see in the next example:

(on the wide angle you can see vignetting because both the polarizing filter and the close up lens were attached, if the polarizing filter wasn't on there wouldn't be any vignetting even at wide angle, these are 67mm lenses)

Right now i have a Raynox 250 to substitute the polaroid high diopter lenses, from what i've tested on "not living" subjects (toy cars and such) the quality is much superior to the polaroid ones, there are no chromatic aberrations and the quality of the photos comes out much sharper than the polaroid, it does have alot of vignetting at wide angle but those macro attachments aren't supposed to be used at wide angle anyway so as soon as you start to zoom in the vignetting starts to disappear, as soon as i get some proper shots i will post it on "My SX40 works" thread.

Biff Exploder's gear list:Biff Exploder's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS +2 more
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,084Gear list
Like?
In reply to James Cafferty, Sep 13, 2012

James Cafferty wrote:

Lionswings wrote:

SX40 (excellent Macro shots)I've been traveling and taking pictures instead, mostly with my SX40. And I continue to be amazed by its ability to zoom in with the 2.0TC from 4½ feet away to get up close and personal with a wonderful world of little creatures. My EF 100mm Macro is getting very jealous.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=42187309

There is a Digital Tele-converter built into the lens. See p.84 and 85 in the Powershot SX40 HS

-- hide signature --

I gave this a try and it does seem to work quite well. It gets the camera back off the subject. Intend to give it some more testing
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads