Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions
Dutchpepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?
Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
Sep 12, 2012

The thing is... these new cameras the RX1 and RX100 are not really P&S are they? They are beyond that. People aren't going to buy these to whip out at Grannies Birthday Party are they! OK some might

But my point is we need to come up with another name for these cameras something like
Pocket Pros or
Pro Shooters
P Shooter for short what do you think?Any ideas?
DP
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

 Dutchpepper's gear list:Dutchpepper's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Tamron AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to Dutchpepper, Sep 12, 2012

No, they are not. But it is people who don’t understand where the term P&S applies, are the ones who would be calling either of these cameras that.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bab4
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Sep 12, 2012

I always thought the only cameras that couldn't be called point and shoots were ones that don't have an auto mode. If it has an auto mode anyone can just point at something and press the shutter. So yes I think these cameras can be called point and shoots. The other term is compact camera... The RX100 for sure is a compact... but the RX1.. gets a little fuzzy there.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,438Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to Dutchpepper, Sep 12, 2012

I use my D700 as a point and shoot camera most of the time.. sometimes, im more serious and get into teh settings and such.

Dutchpepper wrote:

The thing is... these new cameras the RX1 and RX100 are not really P&S are they? They are beyond that. People aren't going to buy these to whip out at Grannies Birthday Party are they! OK some might

But my point is we need to come up with another name for these cameras something like
Pocket Pros or
Pro Shooters
P Shooter for short what do you think?Any ideas?
DP
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Evadremlu
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to Dutchpepper, Sep 12, 2012

The RX1 is a lens with a fixed camera not a camera with a fixed lens.

Eventually all new lens with come with a built-in camera. Viewfinder will by done by a wireless display like a smartphone. Or by viewfinder headsets.

Something like the RED movie camera systems.

 Evadremlu's gear list:Evadremlu's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to bab4, Sep 12, 2012

bab4 wrote:

I always thought the only cameras that couldn't be called point and shoots were ones that don't have an auto mode. If it has an auto mode anyone can just point at something and press the shutter. So yes I think these cameras can be called point and shoots. The other term is compact camera... The RX100 for sure is a compact... but the RX1.. gets a little fuzzy there.

Yep. These debates on nomenclatures remind me of automotive debates on manual transmission versus automatic versus semi-automatic. Then, "compact car" to generally imply an economy car, and yet expensive sports cars would also fit the bill.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pricklypear
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
What's more important than family pictures?
In reply to Dutchpepper, Sep 12, 2012

This line of thinking always cracks me up. Amateur enthusiasts proclaiming they use certain equipment for their "serious" work, but would reserve the p&s camera for "snapshots" of family or friends. I suppose it comes down to interests and priorities, but I would be inclined to use my best equipment for granny's birthday party...much more so than I would for the umpteenth picture of the London Eye or Eiffel Tower.

The RX1 is exciting because it brings first-rate IQ and performance to granny's party, but in a much smaller form factor that doesn't get in the way of good times (literally and figuratively).

Dutchpepper wrote:

The thing is... these new cameras the RX1 and RX100 are not really P&S are they? They are beyond that. People aren't going to buy these to whip out at Grannies Birthday Party are they! OK some might

But my point is we need to come up with another name for these cameras something like
Pocket Pros or
Pro Shooters
P Shooter for short what do you think?Any ideas?
DP
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,605
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to Dutchpepper, Sep 12, 2012

Some elitist snobs like to use PnS like it is a derogatory term. It doesn't really matter what it is called, the pictures will speak for themselves.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
#3 Seller on Amazon.com
In reply to pricklypear, Sep 12, 2012

Way to go Sony!!!!

RX1 is already the 3rd best selling P&S camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX1-Cybershot-Full-frame-Digital/dp/B0097CXFCC

pricklypear wrote:

This line of thinking always cracks me up. Amateur enthusiasts proclaiming they use certain equipment for their "serious" work, but would reserve the p&s camera for "snapshots" of family or friends. I suppose it comes down to interests and priorities, but I would be inclined to use my best equipment for granny's birthday party...much more so than I would for the umpteenth picture of the London Eye or Eiffel Tower.

The RX1 is exciting because it brings first-rate IQ and performance to granny's party, but in a much smaller form factor that doesn't get in the way of good times (literally and figuratively).

Dutchpepper wrote:

The thing is... these new cameras the RX1 and RX100 are not really P&S are they? They are beyond that. People aren't going to buy these to whip out at Grannies Birthday Party are they! OK some might

But my point is we need to come up with another name for these cameras something like
Pocket Pros or
Pro Shooters
P Shooter for short what do you think?Any ideas?
DP
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: #3 Seller on Amazon.com
In reply to snapshot09, Sep 12, 2012

snapshot09 wrote:

Way to go Sony!!!!

RX1 is already the 3rd best selling P&S camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX1-Cybershot-Full-frame-Digital/dp/B0097CXFCC

That’s because it has been discounted by $1.99.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,167Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to Dutchpepper, Sep 12, 2012

I've had the same thoughts. My suggestion is PFLC for Prosumer Fixed lens Camera. P could also stand for Premium) For the more plebian models simply FLC. It works nicely against ILC.

If you recall, "Prosumer" was a term used back in 2003 and 2004 when the Canon Pro 1, Nikon 8700 and 8800, Olympus 7070 and 8080, Minolta A2, and the Sony 717 and 828 came out. It since has gone out of use; but fits perfectly here.
--
Jerry

 GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: Rx100 and Rx1 Arn't really P&S camera are they????
In reply to GeraldW, Sep 12, 2012

I remember when advanced fixed lens cameras were called Prosumer cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,523Gear list
Like?
these are enthusiasts cameras
In reply to RX100, Sep 12, 2012

like the Ricoh GRD...and GX used to be, and the LX7, etc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: #2 Seller on Amazon.com
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Sep 12, 2012

Must be working cause it is now up to #2.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

snapshot09 wrote:

Way to go Sony!!!!

RX1 is already the 3rd best selling P&S camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX1-Cybershot-Full-frame-Digital/dp/B0097CXFCC

That’s because it has been discounted by $1.99.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads