Prague with the Panasonic GX1 + PanaLeica 25mm 1.4

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions
TomJI
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Prague with the Panasonic GX1 + PanaLeica 25mm 1.4
Aug 31, 2012

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd make my first post on here after reading the forums for some time to get advice on kit, etc.

Here are a few images from Prague taken on a recent trip using my GX1 + PanaLeica 25mm 1.4. I also took my 14mm along with some legacy glass but the latter was hardly used at all and the 14mm only found its way onto the camera for a few wider shots. I really enjoy the 25mm FoV, along with its optics of course.

I was hoping for some C&C. A few of the images (3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) have been HDR'd because I couldn't get the full tonal range out of the scene with the kit I had. I'm not really a fan of OTT HDRs, but I do enjoy using it on occasions like this where it lets me bring out the full image that I saw with my eyes.

Full series is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/66588340@N02/sets/72157631307287000/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jman13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424
Like?
Re: Prague with the Panasonic GX1 + PanaLeica 25mm 1.4
In reply to TomJI, Aug 31, 2012

Excellent! Love em.

I'm so bummed. When I was in Prague (in 2003), my wife and I had a wonderful trip, but I was not yet into photography at all (that really started in earnest in 2004), and so my pictures from that trip essentially stink.

-- hide signature --

Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlight.com
Jordan Steele Photography - http://www.jordansteele.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to TomJI, Aug 31, 2012

Good location and good images.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
zenit_b
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
In reply to TomJI, Sep 1, 2012

Here are a few images from Prague taken on a recent trip using my GX1 + PanaLeica 25mm 1.4. I also took my 14mm along with some legacy glass but the latter was hardly used at all and the 14mm only found its way onto the camera for a few wider shots. I really enjoy the 25mm FoV, along with its optics of course.

Hi tom I was interested in your shots since I have that lens and have also been using it for some HDR (like you only when the dynamic range of the camera gets exceeded)...

I was hoping for some C&C. A few of the images (3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) have been HDR'd because I couldn't get the full tonal range out of the scene with the kit I had. I'm not really a fan of OTT HDRs, but I do enjoy using it on occasions like this where it lets me bring out the full image that I saw with my eyes.

I like the HDRs - I dont think you have overdone them, they are probably about right - until we get u43 cameras with massive dynamic range it has to be part of our toolkit - otherwise we will just wont cope with really contrasty scenes. I particularly like the river scene with the rays of sun shining through...

What HDR program did you use ? How many brackets to the HDR shots ?

zenit_b's gear list:zenit_b's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +18 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,194Gear list
Like?

Sorry, OP

What does OTT HDR mean?

Tried google but found nothing relating that term to photography.

Regards.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
TomJI
Like?
In reply to Jman13, Sep 1, 2012

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that, though it sounds like a pretty good excuse to return. If you haven't been to Karlovy Vary (easily doable as a day trip out of Prague), Vienna, Bratislava there's a pretty reasonable multi-location trip possible in a fairly short time span there.

TomJI
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Sep 1, 2012

Thanks Aleo, I'm glad that you like them

TomJI
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Sep 1, 2012

Hi Len, sorry its not actually a photography term per se. OTT=Over the top. By OTT HDR I was just referring to the ultra vibrant, unrealistic images that sometimes are created (which I'm sure have a place, just not something I like for the kind of shots these were).

Len_Gee wrote:

Sorry, OP

What does OTT HDR mean?

Regards.

TomJI
Like?
In reply to zenit_b, Sep 1, 2012

Thanks zenit_b! That's my favourite too! I edited the RAWs in Lightroom and exported to jpeg (or maybe tiff) to HDR in Photomatix. I'm still experimenting with the program really but each time I find a combination of settings I like I tend to save it as a preset and they become really useful.

Brackets: Sadly I can't remember exactly but they'll all have been either 5 or 7 shots at 1 stop increments. The GX1 handles bracketing so easily.

zenit_b wrote:

Hi tom I was interested in your shots since I have that lens and have also been using it for some HDR (like you only when the dynamic range of the camera gets exceeded)...

I like the HDRs - I dont think you have overdone them, they are probably about right - until we get u43 cameras with massive dynamic range it has to be part of our toolkit - otherwise we will just wont cope with really contrasty scenes. I particularly like the river scene with the rays of sun shining through...

What HDR program did you use ? How many brackets to the HDR shots ?

the bluesman
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

Great shots, well captured

jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?

Hi Tom: Very nice photography! The OTT HDR was not OTT - to me seemed just right the touch. Prague5 and Prague6 are my favorites - the first for the capture of that sunlight bathing the river/city scene - VERY nice. The second was a nicely framed city scene.

I'm not in love with Prague1 - the slightly out of focus foreground was distracting to me - but I did like the portion of the picture deep in the perspective where the colors and light came alive.

Thanks for posting, makes me want to visit Prague!
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?

TomJI wrote:

Thanks Aleo, I'm glad that you like them

Indeed I liked, you have done a good job, and liked the colors.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,194Gear list
Like?

Thanks Tom,

BTW, I'm in the minority who really likes most OTT HDR.

I enjoyed looking at your pics here. Is it fairly easy to shoot HDR with the GX1?

I ask because I recently bought the GX1 and added the same PanLeica 25 f/1.4. Still learning though and have not tried HDR.

What HDR software do you use?

How many shoots per HDR? Spacing?

Did you use a tripod for these HDR?

Kind regards.

TomJI wrote:

Hi Len, sorry its not actually a photography term per se. OTT=Over the top. By OTT HDR I was just referring to the ultra vibrant, unrealistic images that sometimes are created (which I'm sure have a place, just not something I like for the kind of shots these were).

Len_Gee wrote:

Sorry, OP

What does OTT HDR mean?

Regards.

-- hide signature --

Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
a few hundred nautical miles SW : 17º 52S, 149º 56W

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
TomJI
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Sep 1, 2012

Thanks! It's incredibly easy with the GX1 really (as it was with the GF1 I owned before). All of these were on auto-bracket, which is easily accessible by the down arrow on the 4-way controller, and were handheld. I've just purchased a reasonable tripod that just about fits in my messenger-type bag so I'm looking forward to using that in future, though it wouldn't have been convenient for most of these HDRs really.

The software I'm using is Photomatix, which I would definitely recommend. You may like the presets more than I do, but you can get a lot of control out of the process. Of course, that also means its a bit harder to learn it, which I'm still doing, but I like playing around with the sliders and developing to my own taste. Some day maybe I'll try and learn about what effect they're actually having so I can be a bit more accurate in my processing but experimenting is fun for now.

Oh and my spacing was 1 stop increments. I usually shoot either a 5 shot bracket or a 7 shot bracket. Occasionally if the scene has too much movement or I'm time limited I;ll do a 3-shot set. Though the image above with the cathedral in the background, and the people moving down a street in the foreground was a 5 or 7 shot set. Selective ghosting in the software works a charm, though sometimes I find that I have to cancel the process and redo it just to tidy things up (perhaps more user error than anything)!

Len_Gee wrote:

Thanks Tom,

BTW, I'm in the minority who really likes most OTT HDR.

I enjoyed looking at your pics here. Is it fairly easy to shoot HDR with the GX1?

I ask because I recently bought the GX1 and added the same PanLeica 25 f/1.4. Still learning though and have not tried HDR.

What HDR software do you use?

How many shoots per HDR? Spacing?

Did you use a tripod for these HDR?

Kind regards.

drtmw
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Loved your photos, thanks for sharIng them. I loved the tones and subtitle shades of photo 1 but the slightly out of focus foreground detracted a bit. Still a nice shot, but f 5.6 or so might have made it better. But perhaps what you got is exactly what wanted

I really l liked the NOT OOT HDRs. Beautiful. But in 8 the top of the spire seems a bit out of focus, too (perhaps that is an artifact of dpreviews renderings).

I am interested in trying HDR so your shots are an inspiration. I may upgrade from my G3 to a G5 which has a built in HDR function but of course I don't know how well Panasonic will do that.

Cheers,

Tom

drtmw's gear list:drtmw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 11,671Gear list
Like?

Very nice series. Especially enjoyed the mural painter and the shots with "sunset skies". Thanks for sharing.

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,971
Like?

Oh yeah Tom!

Superb.

Camancha
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Sep 1, 2012

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing. #5 and #7 are my favorites.

If you're looking for some critics: A little more DOF on some of the pictures perhaps? For example, the first picture was shot at base ISO, 1/1600s and F2. In other words, it seems like it was enough light to use F5.6 without worrying about shake. The same goes for #4, #5, #6 and #7.

Kind regards
.lars

Gediminas 8
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?

Well done!

HDR is applied very tastefully IMO - maybe except No 7 where it is a little conspicuous.

Show us more.

-- hide signature --

A travel gallery of my country and some others:
http://www.pbase.com/lithuania

Gediminas 8's gear list:Gediminas 8's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
TomJI
Like?
In reply to drtmw, Sep 1, 2012

Thanks Tom, I'm glad that you enjoyed them.

And thank you for the critique, yes looking back it at I should certainly have increased to f5.6 or so. So far I've tended to keep the camera in P mode and adjust from there (or S mode if I'm doing stabilised night shots), but I've come to realise that I need to go with A mode and take proper control of my DoF.

I wasn't aware of the HDR function in the G5. Sounds like something worth trying really, though I do enjoy the control of doing it myself and after setting up a few presets for how I like my HDRs to work its not really too much work to process them. Though, in-camera HDR is always going to be more helpful if you'd like to see the results quicker (for example, if you're transferring straight onto an iPad to view the images)

Best wishes,
Tom

drtmw wrote:

Hi,

Loved your photos, thanks for sharIng them. I loved the tones and subtitle shades of photo 1 but the slightly out of focus foreground detracted a bit. Still a nice shot, but f 5.6 or so might have made it better. But perhaps what you got is exactly what wanted

I really l liked the NOT OOT HDRs. Beautiful. But in 8 the top of the spire seems a bit out of focus, too (perhaps that is an artifact of dpreviews renderings).

I am interested in trying HDR so your shots are an inspiration. I may upgrade from my G3 to a G5 which has a built in HDR function but of course I don't know how well Panasonic will do that.

Cheers,

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads