My first post. SX40 pictures

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions
Moreau
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
My first post. SX40 pictures
Aug 31, 2012

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and new to the SX40 as well. I am a major amateur, and am just starting to learn about ISO and all the other camera lingo and what it all means.

I just thought I would share a couple recent pictures and see if anyone had any advice for me or what I could have done different? I am still finding that my shots are a bit on the fuzzy side, but I'm not sure what setting it is I need to change. And I keep forgetting to keep my darn fingers from being in front of that sensor on the front!

RoyAmatore
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
Re: My first post. SX40 pictures
In reply to Moreau, Sep 1, 2012

Hello there. The SX40 sure is fun, isn't it? The low shutter speeds listed in the settings info above your pics indicate that you were shooting in low light. That is responsible, I suspect, for the fuzziness in some of the images. You can get sharp pictures with very low shutter speeds with the SX40, but a lot of things have to go right. The images also appear somewhat overexposed to me. I would try minus 1/3 to 2/3 stops of exposure compensation. I almost always need it, and its easy to set with the wheel in the back of the camera. In my experience with the SX40, there is no substitute for good light, which affords high shutter speeds and low ISO's. One tip: you might try attaching a natural branch to the pole the bird is sitting on. The flowers make a beatiful setting, but the pole, like a feeder, is deadly to a nature photo.

In the shot below I had great light. I could shoot at 100 ISO and handhold the camera at 840mm. But, alas, I had to chop off the White-breasted Nuthatch's feet because of the ugly feeder. I have since replaced the feeder tray with branches.

Roy

RoyAmatore's gear list:RoyAmatore's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluewater1
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

Looks like you're off to a pretty darned good start with that SX40. Have fun!

Nick1420
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?

Hi. And welcome to the forum.

I agree with the technical advice already given to you. I would add, on the bird pics, somewhere, at some time I once read the best bird shots require both the eye or eyes of the bird as well as the beak to be in perfect focus and clearly visible to a viewer.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

As a person that likes to take pics of many varieties of birds myself, that can be very challenging. Especially if it is a black bird, with nearly black eyes also. Sometimes, if you are lucky you can be patient and wait for the bird to move slightly (if he/she does not fly away!) so the angle is just right, or sometimes you can change your own angle slightly and capture good shots of birds this way. Birds, I find to be some of the most challenging shots of all since they can fly the coop at any second, but it sure is fun to attempt to get great shots of them.

The pics of the deer are very good. Keep up the good work, and experiment and practice a lot and you will notice improvement as you go. But, most of all HAVE FUN while you are taking pics and ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE, and all the wildlife around you.

Moreau
Like?
In reply to Nick1420, Sep 1, 2012

Thank you all for the replies, I will be sure to take your advice. I will remember to focus more on eye and beak too. As for the perch the crow was on, that was jut a chance photo op out near my son's daycare when I was picking him up and I grabbed the camera from the car. The city I live in has these big flower basket/lamp post/sign display things all over the place, and that is what that crow was sitting on, so no chance for me to cover it with branches.

I will definitely try to get more natural shots when I can though!

I took a couple more pictures today for fun while watching the kids in the front yard.

RoyAmatore
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?

Awesome web!

RoyAmatore's gear list:RoyAmatore's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
B-rad
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,142Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moreau, Sep 2, 2012

Great catches. Well done.

-- hide signature --

Brad
Windsor.Ontario.Canada
WSSA member#52
PBase Supporter

http://www.pbase.com/bradsandy

B-rad's gear list:B-rad's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Moreau
Like?
In reply to B-rad, Sep 2, 2012

Thank you! I was really pleased with how those ones turned out. And that spider was really far away so I was happy it was so clear. And I could see the pollen on the flower petals! I'm still playing with how to make the background blur while the image in front is clear, like the bird posted above. I'm having fun anyway learning all this!

Alton (TN)
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
In reply to Moreau, Sep 6, 2012

Looks good to me Moreau.

Naturally just getting started will seem like a challenge, but your images look sharp and clear. I concur on the technical recommendations so far. Along the way you will no doubt hear suggestions of using the rule of 3rds, composure settings, and how to increase your shutter speed and still be properly exposed.

I will say though that you are doing the most important part and that is being active in taking pictures. There is no teacher like experience and the SX-40 is a very forgiving teacher.

Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --

Alton

iAnoop
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?

Awesome web...
--
Anoop
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianoopkumar/

iAnoop's gear list:iAnoop's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,360Gear list
Like?
Good sharp images but

think about your composition.
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4