Who is waiting to buy the GH3 ?

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions
Clyde Coman
Contributing MemberPosts: 804Gear list
Like?
Who is waiting to buy the GH3 ?
Aug 31, 2012

Who is waiting to buy the GH3 just because they know it will be better than the last Panasonic M43 camera. I wish I could but I just don't have the cash these days.

Clyde Coman's gear list:Clyde Coman's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kirill_est
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
Re: Who is waiting to buy the GH3 ?
In reply to Clyde Coman, Aug 31, 2012

I am actually waiting for Panasonic to have the good sense and introduce a lower-end multi-aspect-ratio model alongside the very expensive GH3 for those who don't need state-of-the-art video and other bells and whistles but just want a m4/3 body with that universal sensor. I never shoot in 4:3, I don't like it. I do like the m4/3 system in general. Two thirds of the time I use 3:2 and sometimes also 16:9 and I don't want to lose the wide angle when doing so. As things stand, I might buy the GH2 body-only when their prices plummet after the GH3 hits the store shelves. I would prefer buying a newer camera like that, but I won't be able to afford the GH3.

-- hide signature --

Here is my personal photo blog:
http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alan_W1
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

None of the leaks so far, have tempted me into possibly prising open my wallet, yet again ......apart from a likely larger sized/ heavier body {compared to my gh2}, and the possibility of an optional grip.

It seems unlikely that a lower base iso is likely to happen though {my number one hope}, so its fairly certain that i will remain with the gh2 {speaking from a video viewpoint exclusively}.

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,643Gear list
Like?

Clyde Coman wrote:

I wish I could but I just don't have the cash these days.

what about credit ?

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alan_W1, Aug 31, 2012

Not only the GH3 but also whatever follows the GX1. I hope they have the good sense to add a built-in viewfinder on the next GX. Enough with the add-on stuff.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +15 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,885Gear list
Like?

I am very seriously considering it, and am selling some extra camera gear and vintage dinnerware (my other hobby) to collect the funds for it.

I would also be VERY interested in a GX2 if they put the same sensor as is in the G5 in it....but that would require selling a LOT more stuff to fund

-J

Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668
Like?
My GH1 is waiting to be upgraded

Couldn't quite justify upgrading to GH2, but hopefully the GH3 will be worth the wait. And wait. And wait......
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com/photography

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?

Clyde Coman wrote:

Who is waiting to buy the GH3 just because they know it will be better than the last Panasonic M43 camera. I wish I could but I just don't have the cash these days.

Me.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Bass Rock
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?

I am thinking about it. I do expect the price (at launch) to be high but I also expect the GH3 to be a step forward in IQ over my GH2, and be a great body for my Panny 12-35mm f/2.8 lens which is wonderful. I have my Nikon DSLR kit to sell to fund purchase, if Panny come out with the camera I want. I don't care much about video but that comes with all cameras these days. As for stills, I would like a stop more DR and noise free RAWs up to ISO 400. Also, I hope for a bigger / faster buffer, so I won't have to wait for it to clear before previewing pictures. Most other things (like higher resolution screen and viewfinder) would be nice to have but not a deal maker or breaker for me. Other opinions are available.

Alan_W1
Like?

Apparently, according to m43 rumours, the base iso starts at 100.
If so, then ive become a lot more interested.
If the gh3 also retains the Ext Tele Con feature, then i'm hooked.

Button Pusher
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?

Just pretend you are the US government and make your children and grandchildren pay for it. Debt is great!

On the topic...

I'm looking forward to the GH3 if the price isn't out of this world crazy expensive and the unit doesn't have the heft or bulk of a DSLR. There appears to be many improvements all around, much like the GH1 to GH2 had, perhaps moreso.

Button Pusher
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kirill_est, Aug 31, 2012

The GH2 has fallen quite a lot in price since its introduction and the G5 appears to take quite the quality stills. What is holding you back from buying either one if you want to pay less and still have very good quality?

From the images on another site that has a compare camera utility, the G5 has made some impressive strides in IQ.

Kirill_est wrote:

I am actually waiting for Panasonic to have the good sense and introduce a lower-end multi-aspect-ratio model alongside the very expensive GH3 for those who don't need state-of-the-art video and other bells and whistles but just want a m4/3 body with that universal sensor. I never shoot in 4:3, I don't like it. I do like the m4/3 system in general. Two thirds of the time I use 3:2 and sometimes also 16:9 and I don't want to lose the wide angle when doing so. As things stand, I might buy the GH2 body-only when their prices plummet after the GH3 hits the store shelves. I would prefer buying a newer camera like that, but I won't be able to afford the GH3.

-- hide signature --

Here is my personal photo blog:
http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,469Gear list
Like?
Re: I am
-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Dan Clark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,703Gear list
Like?

Clyde Coman wrote:

Who is waiting to buy the GH3 just because they know it will be better than the last Panasonic M43 camera.

I don't know that it will be better. "Better" is always relative. Based on the initial rumors, it appears that it will better match my needs than my current GH2. I hope it's better.

I like my GH2 a lot. But it has a few warts...

Overall, the DR and IQ could be better for photography and video. High ISO noise control is good, but it could be better. And I like the color coming out of the EM-5 much better.

For videos, the GH2 needs to have a better codec and higher bit rate. Audio control needs to be much better. For example, audio control should have a manual mode including the ability to completely disable audio gain. For an external mic, it should have an industry-standard, 3.5mm audio socket instead of that oddball 2.5mm socket. (Don't think this is a big deal? Try finding a 3.5 to 2.5mm converter!)

One serious wart is the integration of the photographic and videographic interface. If you ONLY use video OR photo mode, it's decent. However, when you want to switch from one mode to the other quickly (like when you're on vacation), the GH2 UI is very frustrating. Right now the video/photo user interface integration is very poor.

Users need to be able to store, retrieve, use two separate sets of settings. The video button and shutter release buttons should be completely separate. When you push the video button it should use the stored video settings and start shooting videos. When you push the shutter release, it should take a pic using the stored photo settings. If you push the shutter release while taking a video , it should take a pic using the photo settings.

It looks like the GH3 has some nice features, but it also has some new gimmicks (IMO). While adding the nice new glitzy features, they need to polish the rough edges (warts) from the GH2. If they do that, I'll happily buy a GH3/12-35 kit. If they just add a bunch of whiz bang features and keep all the warts, then it will be just another overpriced toy. And a non starter for me.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. If the GH3 fails to meet my needs, I'm going to seriously consider an E-M5 primarily for stills and a BlackMagic camera for video. The world is changing VERY quickly. There are lots of nice options out there. This is the third version of the GH series. Panasonic must get this one right. If they don't, it will indicate that they "don't get it". That could irreparably damage their image as a serious camera maker.

Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,907
Like?

I've been on the sidelines waiting for the right hybrid mirrorless system with 1080p60 video capability. I buy cameras with the expectation that they'll last 5 years or more, and the GH2 didn't interest be because I knew I'd want to replace it with a 1080p60 capable camera almost immediately.

Sony still hasn't gotten its lens act together, and while some day the Canon system may be sweet, today it really has nothing at all to interest me. The GH3 promises to be pretty much everything I've wanted. There's probably about an 80% chance I'll buy one, and if I do I'll also buy a future more compact M43 model that also has 1080p60 capability (GX2?) to share lenses with in the role as a take-everywhere and "B" camera.

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,384
Like?
Too many choices
In reply to Clyde Coman, Sep 1, 2012

A few weeks ago I though the choice to update my GH1 + G1 kit would be between a bargain GH2 and a new GH3. But then I began to look at the high resolution of the NEX 7 and now we have the G5 in the mix. And the NEX 6.

The G5 seems to meet my still photo needs at a very nice price, but I also much like the idea of WiFi in a camera for remote control and as an alternative to working tethered. So it may come down to pricing and what WiFi actually offers in the first go-round.

I have decided to wait until after Photokina, maybe until after the first of the year, and see how the market looks then. I may even wait for a WiFi enabled NEX 7 - which likely means the middle or end of next year. The old cameras are still working well, so it's not like I'll be missing any pictures.

Gato

After 15 years of digital I still miss the gurgling sound of the print washer in the darkroom.

Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Don't think so

Clyde Coman wrote:

While the rumors make it sound intriguing, don't they always? But having already spent too much on equipment, it will have to be a long wait indeed.

That's what I get for being an "early adopter" of mFT. New technology always seems to change so fast. And damn, the Next New Camera really is better than the previous one. So unless I can sell off sOM-D will be about to burst on the scene, and naturally, the rumors will be flying about how much "better" that camera will be...

It never ends, does it?

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?

I have a GH2 and have been waiting for the GH3 to decide between it and the m5. The m5 looks great but lacks some things that are important to me. If the GH3 keeps the things I like about the GH2 and gets the IQ close to the Oly and gets the other updates right like a bigger buffer then I'll get on the pre-order list. I really want the weather sealing so one of them is in my future. I'm hoping the best deal price wise will be the GH3/12-35 kit for about 2K.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Alan_W1
Like?
In reply to Dan Clark, Sep 1, 2012

Dan Clark wrote:

Clyde Coman wrote:

Who is waiting to buy the GH3 just because they know it will be better than the last Panasonic M43 camera.

I don't know that it will be better. "Better" is always relative. Based on the initial rumors, it appears that it will better match my needs than my current GH2. I hope it's better.

I like my GH2 a lot. But it has a few warts...

Overall, the DR and IQ could be better for photography and video. High ISO noise control is good, but it could be better. And I like the color coming out of the EM-5 much better.

For videos, the GH2 needs to have a better codec and higher bit rate. Audio control needs to be much better. For example, audio control should have a manual mode including the ability to completely disable audio gain. For an external mic, it should have an industry-standard, 3.5mm audio socket instead of that oddball 2.5mm socket. (Don't think this is a big deal? Try finding a 3.5 to 2.5mm converter!)

Yes, this is a strange one, although i did find some.....after a bit of a search.

One serious wart is the integration of the photographic and videographic interface. If you ONLY use video OR photo mode, it's decent. However, when you want to switch from one mode to the other quickly (like when you're on vacation), the GH2 UI is very frustrating. Right now the video/photo user interface integration is very poor.

Agree entirely, resulting in me usually having to decide on either video shooting...or stills shooting, prior to my days shooting, or.......risk compromising on one genre, or both.

Users need to be able to store, retrieve, use two separate sets of settings. The video button and shutter release buttons should be completely separate. When you push the video button it should use the stored video settings and start shooting videos. When you push the shutter release, it should take a pic using the stored photo settings. If you push the shutter release while taking a video , it should take a pic using the photo settings.

This would be ideal for me also.

At present i have to store my stills settings on the C3 position on the dial, so it requires just one click of the dial, to the video position on the dial... to swap genres.

However, i can't escape the compromise of having to shoot stills through the required ND filter usually needed for my video shooting, thus requiring me to set my stills settings at a higher iso than with video {to compensate for the ND}.

It looks like the GH3 has some nice features, but it also has some new gimmicks (IMO). While adding the nice new glitzy features, they need to polish the rough edges (warts) from the GH2. If they do that, I'll happily buy a GH3/12-35 kit. If they just add a bunch of whiz bang features and keep all the warts, then it will be just another overpriced toy. And a non starter for me.

Yep, hopefully they will have taken a small step backwards, and removed some of the quirky features in the gh2, before going forward with some serious improvments.

As you say....the "world is changing quickly", so hopefully the hybrid concept will become more and more practicle.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. If the GH3 fails to meet my needs, I'm going to seriously consider an E-M5 primarily for stills and a BlackMagic camera for video. The world is changing VERY quickly. There are lots of nice options out there. This is the third version of the GH series. Panasonic must get this one right. If they don't, it will indicate that they "don't get it". That could irreparably damage their image as a serious camera maker.

jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,654Gear list
Like?

Clyde Coman wrote:

I have to my own surprise become a keen video user, and have enjoyed the ergonomics and functions of the GH2 so I will have my order in ASAP. If the rumoured specs are correct it ticks a lot of boxes for me. Better build quality, better LCD, better EVF , new sensor , even higher grade video what’s not to like and please God a bigger buffer
Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads