D600 specs are out

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions
smw6230
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
D600 specs are out
Sep 11, 2012

c/o Nikon Rumors (via Malaysian forum): http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/11/more-nikon-d600-leaks-full-specs-and-new-images.aspx/#more-44608

Those new Nikon D600 and WU-1b images and detailed specs were just published in a Malaysian forum:

Sensor: 24,3MP CMOS Total: 24.7 million

Image size

FX 36mm x 24mm :
6,016 x 4,016 (L) 4,512 x 3,008 (M) 3,008 x 2,008 (S)

DX 24mm x 16mm
3,936 x 2,624 (L) 2,944 x 1,968 (M) 1,968 x 1,312 (S)

FX-format photographs taken in movie live view :
6,016 x 3,376 (L) 4,512 x 2,528 (M) 3,008 x 1,688 (S)

DX-format photographs in movie live view :
3,936 x 2,224 (L) 2,944 x 1,664 (M) 1,968 x 1,112 (S)

ISO 100 ~ 6,400. ( 50 - 25600)

Finder: 100% coverage.

AF: 39 points.

Shutter: 1/4,000 ~ 30 sec, bulb. Carbon fiber and Kevlar, tested to 150,000 cycles.

2,016-Segment RGB Meter

Flash Sync: 1/200. Built-in Flash

Frame Rate: 5,5 FPS.

Rear LCD: Exquisite 3.2," 921,000 pixels.

Video

The Nikon D600 can capture Full HD (1080p; 1,920 x 1,080 pixel) video at either 24, 25 or 30 frames per. For 720p (1,280 x 720 pixel) video, a rate of 60 frames per second is possible. Video can either be shot using data from pixels across the entire width of the image sensor in FX mode, or with a 1.5x (DX-format) focal length crop, taking data from the center of the imager, without affecting the video resolution.

Videos are recorded using H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC format compression, maximum clip length is 29 minutes, 59. Even more unusually, it's possible to have the live feed piped to the D600's HDMI port as an uncompressed full HD signal, allowing it to be recorded using an external device and/or routed to an external monitor. If desired, this signal can be mirrored on the camera's own LCD display at the same time; the off-camera feed doesn't have any overlays added, so as not to impact external recording devices.

And the time-lapse photography function can be used to automatically photograph relatively slow moving action

HDMI HD output

White Balance

"The D600's intelligent auto white balance algorithm renders white as truly white even when shot under a wide range of light sources, including mercury vapor light. The D600 analyzes color and brightness information of the scene before shooting utilizing Scene Recognition System, and detects the light source highly accurately by referencing its massive collection of in-camera shooting data. The D600 also carries another auto white balance mode that maintains warm lighting ambience when you shoot under incandescent light"

Auto (2 types), 2500 K-10000 K

Power
EN-EL15, standard; same as D7000 and D800.

Connect with smart devices through the Wireless Mobile Adapter (Android and iOS devices )

Nikon announced an optional Wi-Fi transmitter for the camera. The WU-XX clips into the USB socket of the D600 and allows you to broadcast its images to smartphones and tablets running a Nikon app. The unit allows the camera's live view output to be streamed to the smart device and allows images to be shot remotely. The WU-XX immediately transfers photos and also allows you to upload them to social networks to share with friends and family

Android smartphones and iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod)

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/11/more-nikon-d600-leaks-full-specs-and-new-images.aspx/#ixzz26BjbOwAR

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?
Why the external wireless adaptor?
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

smw6230 wrote:

Nikon announced an optional Wi-Fi transmitter for the camera. The WU-XX clips into the USB socket of the D600 and allows you to broadcast its images to smartphones and tablets running a Nikon app. The unit allows the camera's live view output to be streamed to the smart device and allows images to be shot remotely. The WU-XX immediately transfers photos and also allows you to upload them to social networks to share with friends and family

Android smartphones and iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod)

Why don't Nikon build the wireless adaptor into the camera. Even Fuji have done this with their latest F800 compact camera. It seems like a strange decision when there wireless is already so much a part of life and is inside all sorts of tiny devices.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/11/more-nikon-d600-leaks-full-specs-and-new-images.aspx/#ixzz26BjbOwAR

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
astigmate
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: D600 specs are out
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

I hope that the body itself is large enough, like the D300 / D700 which have great handling. Do you have any info about the physical size ? My worst nightmare would be a toy like camera, kinda pentax K5 size... Also waiting about viewfinder specs and IQ, I would have prefered a 16 mp FF sensor for better S/N ratio, but let's wait and see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DVDROM
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: D600 specs are out
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

GREAT CAMERA!

I will buy it ....in two years

This new WIFI is "B" type, not "A" type like in D3200

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DVDROM
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Why the external wireless adaptor?
In reply to Wellington100, Sep 11, 2012

Android smartphones and iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod)

Why don't Nikon build the wireless adaptor into the camera. Even Fuji have done this with their latest F800 compact camera. It seems like a strange decision when there wireless is already so much a part of life and is inside all sorts of tiny devices.

Exactly !!!! This "toy" (for $10 in production) should be built in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DVDROM
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: D600 specs are out
In reply to astigmate, Sep 11, 2012

It was said that it might be an D7000 like body - I mean similar size.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
smw6230
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: D600 specs are out
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

From the thread on the Malaysian board:

Picture:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,874Gear list
Like?
Price = 1,899 USD
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

That's the latest rumor. Not as cheap as some thought (1500-1600), but still pretty decent. Only that Sony had one just like that and it didn't sell that well.
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 7,993Gear list
Like?
Re: Price = 1,899 USD
In reply to rhlpetrus, Sep 11, 2012

I don't see any confirmed U.S. price as yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621
Like?
Re: Price = 1,899 USD
In reply to rhlpetrus, Sep 11, 2012

rhlpetrus wrote:

That's the latest rumor. Not as cheap as some thought (1500-1600), but still pretty decent. Only that Sony had one just like that and it didn't sell that well.

If that's ($1899) the price, then it's more reasonable. $1500 is less than the inflation adjusted price of the D300 introduction and has been repeated without much thought lately, and would represent a major cost reduction or signal an outright market share grab.

http://1000wordpics.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tianium
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,231
Like?
Re:Note "Photos taken in LV MOVIE mode..
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

These specs also give 16:9 ratio stills "while in movie mode". If this is the case then it may well be the first dslr to be able to shot stills while shooting video.

I wonder if it has phase detect off the sensor in LV mode. Would make sense if it does.

This feature is probably the reason the D5100 and D7000 have been delayed. It appears to be the next must have feature.

Darin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cfh25
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
Re: Why the external wireless adaptor?
In reply to DVDROM, Sep 11, 2012

Same as GPS - why give something for "free" when you can charge $200 as an add-on

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 specs are out
In reply to smw6230, Sep 11, 2012

Even at $1900. Give or take. I will eventually buy one. Full frame is finally within reach
--

In god we trust, all others are suspects

http://www.md-lightsource.com

Licensed firearms dealer in Houston, Texas

 madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Desire without reason ?
In reply to madecov, Sep 11, 2012

Full frame is finally within reach

If all you want is full frame then grab yourself a used Canon 5D. Way cheaper.

Or start using that 35mm film camera.

I wonder if even a fraction of the people lusting after full frame will be able to produce a single photo they couldn't have produced with crop frame ?

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,195Gear list
Like?
Re: Desire without reason ?
In reply to Deleted1929, Sep 11, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

Full frame is finally within reach

If all you want is full frame then grab yourself a used Canon 5D. Way cheaper.

Or start using that 35mm film camera.

I wonder if even a fraction of the people lusting after full frame will be able to produce a single photo they couldn't have produced with crop frame ?

Low shutter count D700 are available near me for $1400 now, I was thinking i might pick one up.

Yes, many people will not produce anything better than they could achieve with a D7000.

 sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: D600 specs are out
In reply to smw6230, Sep 12, 2012

No surprises really
Bar the 1/4000 s shutter if correct (hardly a deal breaker little odd though)

I bet the price is a good bit more than some expect. Nice to see it arrive though even if you are not going FF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitalman4242
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464
Like?
Re: Desire without reason ?
In reply to sshoihet, Sep 12, 2012

I have only owned a DSLR for about a year and a half. But I don't see how this camera is that much better than a D7000. Full frame and extra megapixels. That's all I see really. Dynamic Range is probably going to be close to the D7000. Looks like it has the same wonky unreliable autofocus. And the same or similiar metering. Other than the crop factor will you really notice much difference in FF?? I seen the same photos taken with a D7000 and a D700. And there are minor differences but nothing major. What am I missing here? also alot of people would have to buy new lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,952
Like?
Yes
In reply to digitalman4242, Sep 12, 2012

digitalman4242 wrote:

Other than the crop factor will you really notice much difference in FF??

Yes, if your subject and style lends itself to seeing the difference.

If you're just taking happy snaps of the kids, you might not notice unless you look hard. Really depends on your output goals. Large print studio work, for example, the difference can be very striking.... a WOW factor given everything else kept equivalent.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitalman4242
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464
Like?
Re: Yes
In reply to Mako2011, Sep 12, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

digitalman4242 wrote:

Other than the crop factor will you really notice much difference in FF??

Yes, if your subject and style lends itself to seeing the difference.

If you're just taking happy snaps of the kids, you might not notice unless you look hard. Really depends on your output goals. Large print studio work, for example, the difference can be very striking.... a WOW factor given everything else kept equivalent.

What most of the people on here are doing. Weddings, Family portraits. I don't think you would see a big difference. Unless you are doing landscape shots I doubt you would notice a difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,952
Like?
Some do Some don't
In reply to digitalman4242, Sep 12, 2012

digitalman4242 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

digitalman4242 wrote:

Other than the crop factor will you really notice much difference in FF??

Yes, if your subject and style lends itself to seeing the difference.

If you're just taking happy snaps of the kids, you might not notice unless you look hard. Really depends on your output goals. Large print studio work, for example, the difference can be very striking.... a WOW factor given everything else kept equivalent.

What most of the people on here are doing. Weddings, Family portraits. I don't think you would see a big difference. Unless you are doing landscape shots I doubt you would notice a difference.

Good weeding photography with a FF vs DX is pretty amazing. D4 vs D7000 is very very noticeable. Some of Ray Soares family shot comparisons are simply amazing.

These two for example

I find the dif very noticeable.

I would love to be able to afford and have the skill needed to get the best but Just isn't gonna happen....So I make due...happily

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads