NEX 6 or FUJI XE1

Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions
camelot98
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
NEX 6 or FUJI XE1
Sep 10, 2012

I know this is early as neither is available but based on rumors and internet information which would you pick? I have travel coming up in November and was thinking about ordering the fuji with its kit lens but don't know if i should wait for the NEX6 with Sony's new lenses...
Out of the two cameras which do you think will have better IQ and lenses?

Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,695Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 6 or FUJI XE1
In reply to camelot98, Sep 10, 2012

Just wait for in-depth reviews - there are many differences that may or may not appeal to you.

If the 1650 is as compact and good as rumored, you may have a winner with the Nex-6.

If you prefer prime lenses, you'd have to consider other factors.

camelot98 wrote:

I know this is early as neither is available but based on rumors and internet information which would you pick? I have travel coming up in November and was thinking about ordering the fuji with its kit lens but don't know if i should wait for the NEX6 with Sony's new lenses...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
camelot98
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Sep 10, 2012

whats the aperture on this lens?

Jan Kritzinger
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?

Nex 6 for better usability and hybrid AF that actually(hopefully) works.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,971Gear list
Like?

camelot98 wrote:

I know this is early as neither is available but based on rumors and internet information

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
camelot98
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Sep 10, 2012

what is that ^^

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,130
Like?

camelot98 wrote:

I know this is early as neither is available but based on rumors and internet information which would you pick?

Very tough call. I own a NEX-5 now and after I get a chance to try some of the new cameras in October, am planning on doing one of the following:

• upgrading to NEX-6 with 35/1.8 and maybe the pancake zoom

• pick up an OM-D E-M5 with a couple of primes

• buy the X-E1 with the 35/1.4 and the kit zoom (and later, the 56/1.4)

• forget mirrorless options, buy more lenses for my DSLR and pick up an RX100

The Fuji. Debatable and neglible on the IQ front (thought jpeg shooters will probably prefer the Fuji). Equally debatable but crucially important on the lens front, all depending on personal preference.

The cameras have very different controls/UI. NEX offers tilting LCD (existing models do, hopefully the NEX-6 does, too). Both offer EVFs. And then you have various features, all of which won't be known for some time.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
vajrasattva
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?

Exasperation! Too much discussion about things where people have no hands on experience yet! The time to think about and talk it all will be when opinions are formed in experience, not just very likely rumors.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,695Gear list
Like?

camelot98 wrote:

whats the aperture on this lens?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
pmaster
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Sep 10, 2012

hahaha thank you, made my day

El Matadurr wrote:

camelot98 wrote:

I know this is early as neither is available but based on rumors and internet information

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,271Gear list
Like?

I think that the image quality will be quite the same but the cameras are completely different. I have a X100 and a NEX5 and they are completely different too. I would try both cameras and would take the one you like to shoot with more.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457Gear list
Like?
Fuji for lenses

better IQ is still under debate, should be comparable I think

As to better lenses I already know: Fuji has the upper hand and produces lenses a real photog would want; their roadmap is pretty logical and clear

As for Sony they make great bodies without 'real' photog centric lenses; the only one worth mentioning is the 24mm Zeiss

A pity imho for their excellent bodies (NEX 6 7) deserve more than slow kit lenses
Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to pmaster, Sep 10, 2012

Glad someone got it.

To the OP, I'm not meaning to sound snarky, but you really should wait until there are at least hands-on first impressions on both cameras before you start comparing the two, let alone asking the internet community, who has just as little hands-on experience with the cameras (i.e. none).

Oh, and the picture is of the classic "facepalm" internet meme.

pmaster wrote:
hahaha thank you, made my day

El Matadurr wrote:

camelot98 wrote:

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
camelot98
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Sep 11, 2012

nice one! ^
i guess i'm excited about these 2 new cameras!

codeNsnap
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to camelot98, Sep 12, 2012

I'm super excited about the wide of lens coming out for both Fuji X1(10-24 f/4) and Nex 6(10-18 f/4). The sony lens expected at the end of this year but the Fuji is stated to 2013. I really hope that Fuji wide angle came out earlier. Waiting for the detailed reviews of both the cameras in the meantime.

codeNsnap's gear list:codeNsnap's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji for lenses
In reply to dv312, Sep 12, 2012

dv312 wrote:

better IQ is still under debate, should be comparable I think

Yep, the NEX-6 (assuming it is like the 5N) will be better at low ISO, and the XE-1 will be better at high ISO.

Capndan3
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to camelot98, Sep 12, 2012

I'm leaning toward Fuji for body build/ergonomics, no AA filter (mostly shoot landscapes/scenics), 1:1 square format option, faster (but bigger, more expensive lenses) and OOC jpegs I know I already like (have a X10 now...).

Leaning toward Sony for significantly better price, more compact (esp. with PZ kit lens)...

I also have a Pentax K5 w/15, 21, 40, & 70mm primes so I'll have to consider how that fits into all this - it may be that the Fuji or Sony can even REPLACE that...

So maybe keep the X10 for compact times, add the X-E1, sell the K5...

or

Sell the X10 (NEX6 isn't that much larger) and K5, get the NEX6. Really tough call, if only Sony had the Pentax primes it would be a lot easier

That's the tough part about owning cameras - if you're an enthusist it does become a lot about the handling/simply what you LIKE shooting with as much as the technical output...

Capndan3's gear list:Capndan3's gear list
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
codeNsnap
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to Capndan3, Sep 13, 2012

Capndan3 wrote:

I'm leaning toward Fuji for body build/ergonomics, no AA filter (mostly shoot landscapes/scenics), 1:1 square format option, faster (but bigger, more expensive lenses) and OOC jpegs I know I already like (have a X10 now...).

Ditto. But my other concern with the Fuji apart from the 12-24 f/4 coming in 2013, is the AF speed. Will have to wait for the reviews to come out.

Leaning toward Sony for significantly better price, more compact (esp. with PZ kit lens)...

Ditto. And the other plus for me with Sony is the wide angle coming out in a couple of months.

codeNsnap's gear list:codeNsnap's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
camelot98
Like?
In reply to codeNsnap, Sep 13, 2012

codeNsnap wrote:

Capndan3 wrote:

Ditto. But my other concern with the Fuji apart from the 12-24 f/4 coming in 2013, is the AF speed. Will have to wait for the reviews to come out.

Ditto. And the other plus for me with Sony is the wide angle coming out in a couple of months.

Same here

I'm also hoping that the AF is upto speed. I was planning on using the XE1 (if i do get it) with its prime...does anyone know if a review is out on the lens?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads