New and have lens questions. Sony new vs Minolta. Plus zoom question. Advise please.

Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions
tmaxey1
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
New and have lens questions. Sony new vs Minolta. Plus zoom question. Advise please.
Sep 10, 2012

Hello everyone

I am moving over from the nex cameras due to terrible autofocus issues with phase detection autofocus. I am tired of missing so many shots of the kids.

I have been using the 50mm 1.8 e mount and the kit lens 18-55 and 55-210.

My question is when looking at different lens for the a57 I am trying to understand the difference between the SAL Sony lenses or buying a Minolta or tamaron used lens on eBay or at a local shop. Of course the new vs used plays into this. But assuming the condition is good, why would a person pay more for the Sony a mount lens? It seems like some good Minolta lenses are out there for crazy (good) prices.

Also I have considered getting a bigger range all in one type of lens. Something that will be small enough but also cover the 18-200ish range. One that I can leave on most of the time and be good with it. Of course auto focus is mandatory for me.

Any advise or suggestions? I just don't want to spend 900 on a lens. Not at this point anyway. Not criticizing those that can or do but it's just not in the budget at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the advise. It's greatly appreciated. I stress over purchase decisions. I am still fighting myself over the a57 vs a37 debate. That darn low resolution screen just keeps bothering me. I wish I didn't know there was a difference. Haha

Sony SLT-A37 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Re: New and have lens questions. Sony new vs Minolta. Plus zoom question. Advise plea
In reply to tmaxey1, Sep 10, 2012

Som very good minolta options are:

AF 24-85 f3.5-4.5
AF 24-105 f3.5-4.5
AF 70-210 f4.0 (Beercan, if in good clean condition)
AF 28-135 f4.5 (If in good condition)
AF 100-300 APO f4.5-5.6

and Tamron
SP AF 35-105 f2.8 (very good, rare but often cheap second hand)

Take a look at the lens database of dyxum for users reviews.

Gr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
Re: New and have lens questions. Sony new vs Minolta. Plus zoom question. Advise plea
In reply to tmaxey1, Sep 10, 2012

Since you brought up kids, the only thing I would mention about Minolta lenses (of which I use almost exclusively) is that, since they are screw driven, they are louder than newer Sony lenses using SAM (still a bit noisy) and SSM (almost silent). Sony still does have screw lenses, mostly holdovers from the Minolta days, but if you plan to take a lot of videos be mindful of the loudness the lens. I rarely take videos so it's not a concern for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads