EM5 hummers and more

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,174Gear list
Like?
EM5 hummers and more
Sep 9, 2012

Hello All !
Yesterday got to try out my EM5 for some wildlife, specially humming birds.

I used a Nikon flash is AA mode and used quite high shutter speeds, in some I had some slight curtain issues showing in the photo, but I trimmed and cropped them but I was quite happy with the results.

I used mainly my 75-300mm olympus lens.

Gotta say the camera ate batteries and got very hot. I used 3 batteries, one original and 2 Chinese. In some cases I had to turn off the camera because I started to worry about it. In one occasion it got stuck and nothing responded , I had to pull out battery to unlock it.

focus was quite fast, quite accurate even with hummers, obviously i had some lost shots because of focus issues. I had to touch up with MF on some cases also, so the magnification really does help so that the IQ improves.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Bobby Handal
Like?
Re: EM5 hummers and more
In reply to Bobby Handal, Sep 9, 2012

I also shot some other species,

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,597
Like?

Bobby,

I believe that these are best bird photos that I have seen taken with the 4/3. Very good job. They are definitely worth a second look.
--
Howard
http://www.photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

P S
P S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?

Wonderful pictures, Bobby. Thank you for sharing. Did you use manual focusing?
--
PS

P S's gear list:P S's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
Solomente
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?

Nice shots, I really love the colors of the 2nd pic. I too recently shot some hummingbird pics. Although mine were in my backyard. I'm guessing given all these birds that you were in some sort of zoo/aquarium aviary??

Here are my shots from last weekend (not to hijack, but just because I am a hummingbird fan!)

Solomente's gear list:Solomente's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
kaw209
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

Those are beautiful; TFS!
--
Kim

If everything happens for a reason, what's the reason?!
http://flickr.com/photos/kaw209

kaw209's gear list:kaw209's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to howardfuhrman, Sep 9, 2012

Thanks Howard for your kind words.

howardfuhrman wrote:

Bobby,

I believe that these are best bird photos that I have seen taken with the 4/3. Very good job. They are definitely worth a second look.
--
Howard
http://www.photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to P S, Sep 9, 2012

hello PS thanks for your comments.

In a few only, I used manual focus touch up, meaning that I touch the focus wheel on the lens, the camera automatically goes to magnification mode and I touch focus if not accurate, it makes for a sharper and more feather detail.

P S wrote:

Wonderful pictures, Bobby. Thank you for sharing. Did you use manual focusing?
--
PS

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to Solomente, Sep 9, 2012

Hello Solomente

Thanks for your comments, that is my favorite shot . Like your photos thanks for sharing.

no, these photos are in the wild. the other species are just driving through a jungle here in Honduras and the hummers are shot in a hotel that has a lot of feeders , so hummers hang out there a lot. What I loved about this place is that it has 10+ species of hummingbirds, hundreds of feeders and great flowers, so it was a treat to discover this place.

Solomente wrote:

Nice shots, I really love the colors of the 2nd pic. I too recently shot some hummingbird pics. Although mine were in my backyard. I'm guessing given all these birds that you were in some sort of zoo/aquarium aviary??

Here are my shots from last weekend (not to hijack, but just because I am a hummingbird fan!)

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to kaw209, Sep 9, 2012

Thanks Kim for your comments, much appreciated.

kaw209 wrote:

Those are beautiful; TFS!
--
Kim

If everything happens for a reason, what's the reason?!
http://flickr.com/photos/kaw209

ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

incredible images Bobby. Best I have seen in Micro four thirds or any other system. I must have missed it somewhere but what optics were used.

Thanks,
--
El

Gear. 2 Omd, all the lenses, Ep3, Ep2, Ep1 infrared, Fuji X100, Fuji x pro 1, all the Fuji lenses, Voigtlander 15,21,28,50,75,90,180. Nikon 55 macro, 200 macro and Zeiss 100mm macro, Induro Tripods and heads, etc. Ricoh GXR and modules including Leica M

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
pegasus1457
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?

Absolutely phenomenal!

Keep them coming for those of us who cannot make it to CA..

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to ELLIOT P STERN, Sep 10, 2012

Thanks Elliot, Im blushing , thanks for your kind words.

I used the Olympus 75-300mm for the majority of the photos. quite sharp lens.

ELLIOT P STERN wrote:

incredible images Bobby. Best I have seen in Micro four thirds or any other system. I must have missed it somewhere but what optics were used.

Thanks,
--
El

Gear. 2 Omd, all the lenses, Ep3, Ep2, Ep1 infrared, Fuji X100, Fuji x pro 1, all the Fuji lenses, Voigtlander 15,21,28,50,75,90,180. Nikon 55 macro, 200 macro and Zeiss 100mm macro, Induro Tripods and heads, etc. Ricoh GXR and modules including Leica M

Bobby Handal
Like?
In reply to pegasus1457, Sep 10, 2012

Thanks Pegasus1457 !! wow, what a response... very happy to hear people like them.

pegasus1457 wrote:

Absolutely phenomenal!

Keep them coming for those of us who cannot make it to CA..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads