Photo Editing on Android Tablet

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions
BruceWD
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
Photo Editing on Android Tablet
Sep 9, 2012

Hi What a good app for editing jpgs at full resolution? I need color balance, highlights, shadows, curves, cropping,cloning? etc. I also need to be able to save the edit on the tablet. What do you use? Thanks for your help. Bruce

wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Re: Photo Editing on Android Tablet
In reply to BruceWD, Sep 9, 2012

Try looking at Photo Mate

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to wildwilly, Sep 10, 2012

I've just got a Nexus 7, and wanted to have a photo editor, and to be able to transfer photos from my cameras (Sony A55 and Olympus XZ-1) to it. I also usually save my images in RAW and process them to make smaller, more easily viewable jpegs while keeping the RAW for archive.

I downloaded Photo Mate, and also Nexus Media Importer, and have tried them out to a limited degree so far, with good results. As the Nexus doesn't have an SD slot, an SD card reader gets connected into the USB port, and Media Importer lets me download the photos from the card to the tablet, where Photo Mate processes them. I then keep the much smaller jpegs and delete the raws from the tablet, so as not to use up too much storage - 16GB isn't a huge lot really.

It all seems to work pretty simply, and I am quite impressed by the capabilities. Sure, its not LR4, but it lets me make a resized set of jpegs for easy viewing when I am on the road, and don't want to have the weight and inconvenience of a laptop.

Just re-read that, and a few years ago, wouldn't it have been a stupid thing to say - the inconvenience of a laptop! Such is progress...

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Google Nexus 7
Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris43, Sep 10, 2012

I have been testing Nexus Media Importer and Photo Mate on my Nexus 7 as well. My limitation is definitely caused by only having 16GB on the Nexus and using 16GB cards in my E5. My primary goal has been to use a tablet to off load the images from each card and get them onto a second drive in the field. I would like to quickly review the images on the bigger screen to cull those that are too soft, poorly exposed, etc., before transferring them to a USB drive.

I can manage to do all that on the Nexus 7 now with the addition of a Gauntlet Node WiFi enabled battery powered USB drive. This mounts via WiFi like any other network drive and I can read and write from the Nexus. The only complication is that the first versions of Nexus Media Importer would not import unknown file types, although since you are using RAW the recent updates this week may have changed that. I also noticed that you can now specify a destination folder of your choice. I will be testing later this week to see if it can be my WiFi drive or any NAS. That would eliminate the internal memory cap on the Nexus 7. And I hope it will make a one step transfer possible. Right now it is step 1, copy as much off the camera's card as will fit on the tablet via Nexus Media Importer. Step 2 move those files to my WiFi drive via any NAS aware file utility. Step 3 return to the card and copy the next bunch, repeat.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
BruceWD
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
In reply to BruceWD, Sep 12, 2012

Thanks for your help Bruce

Michelle Jackoson
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to BruceWD, Mar 12, 2013

BruceWD wrote:

Hi What a good app for editing jpgs at full resolution? I need color balance, highlights, shadows, curves, cropping,cloning? etc. I also need to be able to save the edit on the tablet. What do you use? Thanks for your help. Bruce

I found a nice site that made it possible to order a canvas photo of your photo on your mobil. When I have taken a great photo with my mobil and made some editing I often buy a canvas printer of it on www.sumopix.com/en . The quality is surprisingly good considering it is taken with a iPhone

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads