Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
j c swain Regular Member • Posts: 129
Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

When I try to print a borderless 17 x 22 on my new Epson 3880 with Photoshop CS6 it centers the image in the middle of the paper and prints it at 8.5 x 11. I am using a Mac Pro with OS 10.7.

I have triple checked all of the settings in the print dialogs, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled CS6 and spent over an hour with Epson tech support and no solution so far.

I am able to print 17 x 22 using Aperture so it looks like a Photoshop problem.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,530
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Same setup, but Win 7/64 and Win Vista/32 and have no problem with 17 x 22 inches. It could be an Epson Mac driver with CS6 problem.

I clearly can’t run Aperture, but have no problem with Lightroom and 17 x 22 inches either.

Are you sure there isn’t something you are missing in Photoshop?

The Epson driver is prone to doing a ‘whatever-size > 8.5 x 11 inch’ conversion when setting borderless for a size for which it doesn’t support borderless printing; even after you then switch to a size that it does support printing borderless. (And it is really difficult to get it back to the right sheet size.) But that should show in the printer driver’s dialog.

Under Windows, when you try borderless for an unsupported size, you get a modal dialog that says something like ‘the printer doesn’t support borderless printing for this sized sheet’ and you are given no choice but OK, which then puts something like ‘X x y > 8.5 x 11’ inches in the paper size box.

Brian A

PicOne
PicOne Veteran Member • Posts: 6,923
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Is your IMAGE-> SIZE 17x22? What does Print with Preview show you before printing?

j c swain wrote:

When I try to print a borderless 17 x 22 on my new Epson 3880 with Photoshop CS6 it centers the image in the middle of the paper and prints it at 8.5 x 11. I am using a Mac Pro with OS 10.7.

I have triple checked all of the settings in the print dialogs, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled CS6 and spent over an hour with Epson tech support and no solution so far.

I am able to print 17 x 22 using Aperture so it looks like a Photoshop problem.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

j c swain OP Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Hugowolf wrote:

Same setup, but Win 7/64 and Win Vista/32 and have no problem with 17 x 22 inches. It could be an Epson Mac driver with CS6 problem.

I clearly can’t run Aperture, but have no problem with Lightroom and 17 x 22 inches either.

Are you sure there isn’t something you are missing in Photoshop?

The Epson driver is prone to doing a ‘whatever-size > 8.5 x 11 inch’ conversion when setting borderless for a size for which it doesn’t support borderless printing; even after you then switch to a size that it does support printing borderless. (And it is really difficult to get it back to the right sheet size.) But that should show in the printer driver’s dialog.

Under Windows, when you try borderless for an unsupported size, you get a modal dialog that says something like ‘the printer doesn’t support borderless printing for this sized sheet’ and you are given no choice but OK, which then puts something like ‘X x y > 8.5 x 11’ inches in the paper size box.

Brian A

Thanks for the reply, Brian.

I have gone through the settings in CS6 so many times that I thought I might be missing something but two calls to Epson support where they walked me through the setup seem to confirm that all of the settings are correct. They were stumped and said they had never encountered the problem before.

It does seem like it is reverting to the default 8.5 x 11 but the driver does support border less 17 x 22 as it prints fine from Aperture. The image that it does print is partial.

I can just use Aperture to print but I no longer use it in my normal workflow so it adds a step.

j c swain OP Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

PicOne wrote:

Is your IMAGE-> SIZE 17x22? What does Print with Preview show you before printing?

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Thanks PicOne. Image size is 17x22 and preview shows a border less 17 x 22. It is frustrating.

CS6 and the Epson driver are not getting along for some reason. I was hoping that someone else had run into the same problem.

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,530
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

The problem I described happens when you set the checkbox to borderless first, then select a paper is that is supported for borderless printing. But if only part of the image is being printed, the problem sounds like it lies elsewhere.

Brian A

j c swain OP Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Hugowolf wrote:

The problem I described happens when you set the checkbox to borderless first, then select a paper is that is supported for borderless printing. But if only part of the image is being printed, the problem sounds like it lies elsewhere.

Brian A

Today I brought my laptop to my office and printed from that with no problem so there is something wrong with my Mac Pro. There must be a corrupt file.

Since I have already reinstalled Photoshop I guess the next step would be to reinstall the system unless it is a Photoshop file that did not get replaced during the reinstall.

Thanks for trying to help.

JS

AliciaSavage New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Hi J C Swain - I have bene having this same issue on and off for a year with my Epson 3880. Have you yet found a reason what causes the image to not print in full? I've had the issue consistent occur with Lightroom.

camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Try turning OFF "paper size check" under printer menu in the printer itself.

Page 128 of the Manual.

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

 camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
janthenat New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

j c swain wrote:

When I try to print a borderless 17 x 22 on my new Epson 3880 with Photoshop CS6 it centers the image in the middle of the paper and prints it at 8.5 x 11. I am using a Mac Pro with OS 10.7.

I have triple checked all of the settings in the print dialogs, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled CS6 and spent over an hour with Epson tech support and no solution so far.

I am able to print 17 x 22 using Aperture so it looks like a Photoshop problem.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Have you had any luck with this? We are experiencing essentially the same problem with some images, but printing to a Epson 4880. The only difference with ours is that the partial image being printed at 8.5x11 comes from the center of the larger image, and is being printed in the bottom left corner of the page (not centered in other words).

We have been able to sort of work around the problem by holding "spacebar" when selecting Print from the File menu. This brings up the print dialog using "default" print settings, forgetting the previous settings. Once the dialog has opened we click "Done" then save the file. This saves the file with the default print settings (print settings are saved in the file). Reopen the file and customize the print settings for output and then print. This seems to give a proper print. After printing we do not save the file.

So far, so good with this method. One caveat, opening the Print dialog while holding spacebar (to get the default print settings) will revert our 300 ppi images to 72 ppi, expanding the resolution to whatever makes it proportionate. We can then change the image size settings back to whatever x whatever @ 300 ppi with no issues. What this tells me is that the Photoshop print dialog has its fingers in things other than just print settings.

Any thoughts?

By the way, printing the same images from Preview.app works just fine.  So this points to some issue between Photoshop and the printer driver, at least in my opinion.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 7,772
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

have you gone into the printer preference and *remove* the 3880 and then re-'instantiate' it

juan bobo Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

camerashy wrote:

Try turning OFF "paper size check" under printer menu in the printer itself.

Careful with that setting. I tried it when I was having trouble getting a sheet to load from the rear feed, and the print head started blowing ink with no paper in the printer.

 juan bobo's gear list:juan bobo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
j c swain OP Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

janthenat wrote:

j c swain wrote:

When I try to print a borderless 17 x 22 on my new Epson 3880 with Photoshop CS6 it centers the image in the middle of the paper and prints it at 8.5 x 11. I am using a Mac Pro with OS 10.7.

I have triple checked all of the settings in the print dialogs, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled CS6 and spent over an hour with Epson tech support and no solution so far.

I am able to print 17 x 22 using Aperture so it looks like a Photoshop problem.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Have you had any luck with this? We are experiencing essentially the same problem with some images, but printing to a Epson 4880. The only difference with ours is that the partial image being printed at 8.5x11 comes from the center of the larger image, and is being printed in the bottom left corner of the page (not centered in other words).

We have been able to sort of work around the problem by holding "spacebar" when selecting Print from the File menu. This brings up the print dialog using "default" print settings, forgetting the previous settings. Once the dialog has opened we click "Done" then save the file. This saves the file with the default print settings (print settings are saved in the file). Reopen the file and customize the print settings for output and then print. This seems to give a proper print. After printing we do not save the file.

So far, so good with this method. One caveat, opening the Print dialog while holding spacebar (to get the default print settings) will revert our 300 ppi images to 72 ppi, expanding the resolution to whatever makes it proportionate. We can then change the image size settings back to whatever x whatever @ 300 ppi with no issues. What this tells me is that the Photoshop print dialog has its fingers in things other than just print settings.

Any thoughts?

By the way, printing the same images from Preview.app works just fine. So this points to some issue between Photoshop and the printer driver, at least in my opinion.

Since the original post I have upgraded to a new computer and operating system, and Photoshop has had lots of updates. I am now using CC. I still have the problem and no longer use Photoshop for printing. I gave up after reinstalling everything and spending a lot of time with tech support.

I still have the 3880 and a large format Canon printer so from time to time I find myself looking at RIP software but can't really justify the cost.

Although I don't use Aperture any more for storing or processing photos, I use it for printing with no problems. While it does add an additional step to my workflow and is kind of irritating, it's not that difficult.

If anyone finds a cure, there are at least a few of us who would be grateful.

Thanks for the replies.

Best, JS

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,514
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

j c swain wrote:

janthenat wrote:

j c swain wrote:

When I try to print a borderless 17 x 22 on my new Epson 3880 with Photoshop CS6 it centers the image in the middle of the paper and prints it at 8.5 x 11. I am using a Mac Pro with OS 10.7.

I have triple checked all of the settings in the print dialogs, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled CS6 and spent over an hour with Epson tech support and no solution so far.

I am able to print 17 x 22 using Aperture so it looks like a Photoshop problem.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Have you had any luck with this? We are experiencing essentially the same problem with some images, but printing to a Epson 4880. The only difference with ours is that the partial image being printed at 8.5x11 comes from the center of the larger image, and is being printed in the bottom left corner of the page (not centered in other words).

We have been able to sort of work around the problem by holding "spacebar" when selecting Print from the File menu. This brings up the print dialog using "default" print settings, forgetting the previous settings. Once the dialog has opened we click "Done" then save the file. This saves the file with the default print settings (print settings are saved in the file). Reopen the file and customize the print settings for output and then print. This seems to give a proper print. After printing we do not save the file.

So far, so good with this method. One caveat, opening the Print dialog while holding spacebar (to get the default print settings) will revert our 300 ppi images to 72 ppi, expanding the resolution to whatever makes it proportionate. We can then change the image size settings back to whatever x whatever @ 300 ppi with no issues. What this tells me is that the Photoshop print dialog has its fingers in things other than just print settings.

Any thoughts?

By the way, printing the same images from Preview.app works just fine. So this points to some issue between Photoshop and the printer driver, at least in my opinion.

Since the original post I have upgraded to a new computer and operating system, and Photoshop has had lots of updates. I am now using CC. I still have the problem and no longer use Photoshop for printing. I gave up after reinstalling everything and spending a lot of time with tech support.

I still have the 3880 and a large format Canon printer so from time to time I find myself looking at RIP software but can't really justify the cost.

Although I don't use Aperture any more for storing or processing photos, I use it for printing with no problems. While it does add an additional step to my workflow and is kind of irritating, it's not that difficult.

If anyone finds a cure, there are at least a few of us who would be grateful.

Thanks for the replies.

Best, JS

This may or may not be the problem but check under the Page Options tab for you output paper size.

In the Windows driver it allows you to choose " Same as Paper Size "

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

j c swain OP Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Thanks, Joe. I am on a Mac and could not find an equivalent setting but I keep thinking that the problem is some small thing like that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

JS

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,514
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

j c swain wrote:

Thanks, Joe. I am on a Mac and could not find an equivalent setting but I keep thinking that the problem is some small thing like that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

JS

You don't have a page set up tab????

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 7,772
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

there is no such 'Output Paper' pulldown on the Mac Page Setup page.  The only thing you do is specify the paper size, orientation and scale factor.

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,514
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

Howard Moftich wrote:

there is no such 'Output Paper' pulldown on the Mac Page Setup page. The only thing you do is specify the paper size, orientation and scale factor.

WOW! That's incredible! That's why I do not print from MACs.

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 7,772
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

What is the function of that Output Paper pulldown that can't be done elsewhere.

And at the danger of going off-topic, there are many more reasons I'd rather slit my wrists than have to use a PC in my personal life.

BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,664
Re: Problem printing 17 x 22 with Epson 3880 from CS6

j c swain wrote:

Since the original post I have upgraded to a new computer and operating system, and Photoshop has had lots of updates. I am now using CC. I still have the problem and no longer use Photoshop for printing. I gave up after reinstalling everything and spending a lot of time with tech support.

I don't know if it's related, because I'm on PC and printing to HP, but I have had trouble making large prints from photoshop when the paper orientation didn't match the orientation of the print. I rotated the canvas and then it printed correctly.

So there seems to be some flaw in the auto rotate function of PS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads