Copy photos from camera to tablet?

Started Sep 5, 2012 | Discussions
darkwings
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Copy photos from camera to tablet?
Sep 5, 2012

I am thinking of purchasing a tablet.

The most important feature i want is to be able to get the pictures from my Olympus PEN E-PM1 and onto the tablet.
The pictures will likely be in JPG format.

I want to copy them to the tablet and then using the tablet, view the pictures and (when wifi is available) upload them to Picasa.

What do I have to look for in a tablet so that I can do this? i see some tablets have card readers and some have USB ports. But it's not clear to me whether the file system on the tablet will be able to copy the photos or display them.

It would be nice if the tablet could play the videos as well.

I've been looking at the Asus Transformer TF300. does anyone know if that tablet supports this?

-- hide signature --

Olympus PNE E-PM1

Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re: Copy photos from camera to tablet?
In reply to darkwings, Sep 5, 2012

Get one of those USB OTG Host Cable Adapters for your tablet, there are plenty on eBay.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197
Like?

Manual here (AFAIK):

http://devdb.ru/data/file/file4fab6791ef1177.67823289.pdf

See pages 33-37, 77 & 84. This tablet will do what you want to do.

Keep in mind, what you're trying to do isn't anything unique, and most full-featured tablets have the same or similar capabilities. Try the device in a store and make certain you like the UI/OS and software you'll be using. If you plan on any editing, you may want to become familiar with what's available in the app store.

Check-out other software you may want to use with it (on device and app store) as most people use a tablet for many other apps other than photography.

Better yet, bring an SD card to a store and see if you can load some images, or have them load some images with a store's card to see how it works.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,790Gear list
Like?

darkwings wrote:

I am thinking of purchasing a tablet.

The most important feature i want is to be able to get the pictures from my Olympus PEN E-PM1 and onto the tablet.
The pictures will likely be in JPG format.

I want to copy them to the tablet and then using the tablet, view the pictures and (when wifi is available) upload them to Picasa.

What do I have to look for in a tablet so that I can do this? i see some tablets have card readers and some have USB ports. But it's not clear to me whether the file system on the tablet will be able to copy the photos or display them.

It would be nice if the tablet could play the videos as well.

I've been looking at the Asus Transformer TF300. does anyone know if that tablet supports this?

From what you say here I think you may need to consider carefully what Tablet you buy for the needs you seem to be specifying. Tablets have come under some varied pressures in the last 12 months or so - mainly that they now feel (the Android form Tablets) to try to compete in some respects with the iPads..mostly in making them a lot slimmer than they were. Most have done this to various extent...BUT be aware that in making a lot of the recent ones much slimmer it has totally negated the ability that many had before, in putting on the full size sockets.. mainly the USB socket.. which on several of the top brand earlier Edition Tablets, was FULL size USB just as you find on a computer. This seems to be a crucial item for your needs and why it is imperitive that buying a NEW later type Tablet you must assess the socket availabilities.

The Asus Transformer is a very excellent Tablet - always was in Mk.1 form.. but in the earlier form it DID have all the usual required input sockets that most people wanted.. in the newer version - the one you seem to be interested in - it now comes really as a "two-part" thing...you CAN buy just the Tablet alone.. that does everything that is normally expected on most Android Tablets..WILL do probably all that you may need insofar as working it with pic programs etc is concerned.. BUT.. in the basic Tablet form it has little or no input sockets... this is because they have considerably slimmed down the Mk.2 version and there is now just not the depth on which to put such as a normal USB socket.. indeed I believe on the Tablet itself there are very few input arangements.. the reason being that with this newer version they now supply AS AN EXTRA.. a completely seperate Keyboard which clips into the main Tablet by socket arrangement at the rear edge...and that gives you a full normal QWERTY type Keyboard which of course is for most purposes a lot bette than having to use a screen Keyboard as on most general Tablets or indeed many latest phones.... and because you have that extra full size K/board, it gives space for the facility of not onkly ANOTHER (second) battery, but also what is needed extra by way of full-size USB sockets plus such as HDMI socket and a good selection of connectivity which in reality is totally missing from the Tablet itself simply because it is not thick enough to accomodate them.

So as a FULL version - Tablet with Keyboard - it IS more cost of course but it does then enable you to have an extra battery AND just about all the connectivity you are likely to need for what you want to do.

I have had for nearly 12 months now, one of the first model ACER Iconia Tablet.. an excellent Tablet which is now updated normally to the same update Procesor that the Transformer (and many others) now use..the "Ice Cream Sandwich" as it is known. Pretty well all NEWER Tablets have this processor now , as they come to you new. But the Iconia ver2 as I might call it.. IS certainly slim enough...by NO means unwieldy I can asure you . and even in this latest form it does still have within itself all the sockets that most are likely to need.. the card input I believe is now a MicroSD INPUT.. it also has Micro-USB which is a full HOST type..that is you can use it for IN/OUT , and this I do suggest you have a serious look at , as I'm sure it will do all that you seem to need. It has no external K/board as a necessity (you can of course always plug in and use a Bluetooth or USB type external normal K/board if you wish) ...although the Tablet has a decent screen K/b ..and you can (as I have dione) get a variety of d/loadable Apps which give you a superb choce of styles K/board.. it is easy to get exactly what type suits YOU best by trial.

But for your stated pic needs..I do believe that whilst the Transformer IS excellent..I rather think that the new Iconia A200 as I think it's called.. is WELL worth you looking at and if possible TRY one hands-on at a local Superstore or whereever...(take with you a MICRO-SD card with pics on.. NOT a standard SD..) and there are Apps already on, which give you quite good pic displays and/or slideshows..AND it will play Vids...but again..there are Apps available (free) on the Google Apps market which give much better displays when you get chance to find and try a few...

On my Iconia Mk1 Tablet I have BOTH a standard USB socket AND a Micro-USB socket..for transferring pics to the Tablet I invariably first put my pics on the COMPUTER as I have always done...then if I want to transfer any to the Tablet I use for my own convenience a cable USB (from computer) to MICRO-USB (into the Iconia) and in that way I do all I want to with pics on the COMPUTER ..edits.. sorting etc etc...then easily transfer a choice I pick, from computer to Iconia. (I could of course use a USB cable (ful size) just as easily...check this though..if YOU wish to transfer pics from such as camera to Tablet straight-away..I'm not sure how easily that could be..if you ONLY have a Micro-SD socket on the Tablet..and a FULL size SD card in camera... one to be careful about in choosing a Tablet .. SOCKETS are one big important part as a Tablet choice...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Not correct for the Transformer Infinity
In reply to ericN2, Sep 5, 2012

You do not need the keyboard dock for the Transformer Prime or Infinity to get a fully functional USB port. Asus sells a USB adapter that connects to the charging port which gives a USB port capable of connecting card readers, thumb drives, and mobile hard drives. This is a very small device, about a 1/4 inch thick and perhaps 1 inch or so square. They sell for about $15 at Amazon, B&H etc. You can read and write to all these devices.

I have a Transformer Infinityand do all that you want although I usually shoot raw but I use Photo Mate to view the Raw photos. The The Android 4.X file system lets you create and name folders and sub-folders and move/copy photos to your heart's content. I use my Transformer Infinity while traveling for storage, copying to thumb drives, and viewing and, as a side benefit, e-mail, internet browing, and of course a few games.

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

ericN2
Like?
Re: Not correct for the Transformer Infinity
In reply to wildwilly, Sep 5, 2012

wildwilly wrote:

You do not need the keyboard dock for the Transformer Prime or Infinity to get a fully functional USB port. Asus sells a USB adapter that connects to the charging port which gives a USB port capable of connecting card readers, thumb drives, and mobile hard drives. This is a very small device, about a 1/4 inch thick and perhaps 1 inch or so square. They sell for about $15 at Amazon, B&H etc. You can read and write to all these devices.

I have a Transformer Infinityand do all that you want although I usually shoot raw but I use Photo Mate to view the Raw photos. The The Android 4.X file system lets you create and name folders and sub-folders and move/copy photos to your heart's content. I use my Transformer Infinity while traveling for storage, copying to thumb drives, and viewing and, as a side benefit, e-mail, internet browing, and of course a few games.

John -

Ah well.. apologies for that little misconception. The Transformer has never really been a totally popular one as far as main Sellers are concerned in UK ..not sure why as I do know it to be very good indeed.. but what little stats I've seen on the NEW version do I'm sure lead you to believe that the basic Tablet (i.e. without K/board) has little or no connectivity...ALL that (and more) coming if you have the extra cost K/board.

Maybe it IS the case that the Tablet itself has little or no connectivity sockets ON IT...I was not aware of any added connector block - it sounds much as the iPad do with their 'Camera Kit'... and it sounds as though that indeed WOULD be a big help to the OP. I don't use my Iconia that way - doing all on the computer then transferring any pics/Vids I choose..by a USB cable..computer to Tablet..but it is a point that did concern me so far as the OP is concerned. IF he wishes to transfer pics DIRECTLY...camera (or card) to Tablet.. he needs such as this...but from what you say.. the extra 'Block' is quite the solution it seems.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

wildwilly
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Sep 5, 2012

Yes, the block as you call it (a good term for it) is about the same size as the one for the Ipad camera connection kit but with much more functionality.

I'm not sure how popular the Transformers are here but I am quite pleased with mine. Quad core 1.6ghz processor, 1920 x 1200 IPS screen, 64g storage. Quite capable.

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

ericN2
Like?
In reply to wildwilly, Sep 5, 2012

wildwilly wrote:

Yes, the block as you call it (a good term for it) is about the same size as the one for the Ipad camera connection kit but with much more functionality.

I'm not sure how popular the Transformers are here but I am quite pleased with mine. Quad core 1.6ghz processor, 1920 x 1200 IPS screen, 64g storage. Quite capable.

John-

Yes...popularity of course only comes with actual usage..and purchases.. and the trouble here in UK at present is that the recesion is biting harder and harder and most businesses are simply not selling as much so are loathe to carry stocks. As the iPad fever is as strong as ever and other Tablets just don't seem to be selling as they were just 6-9 months ago... the Transformer is not seen very much...but speaking for myself..I DID have the chance some time ago to actually get a hands-on the FIRST model Transformer....with K/board attached...I do know it to be a very good one. just did not suit me at the time and I liked the Iconia.. looked and used it about three times then just decided to grab one..by good luck..an excellent sell-off reduction as they thought the NEW one would be out anytime then...it didn't get released here until some 3 months or so later so I feel I had a good bargain which I've not really changed my mind on since It has excellent connectivity in every way and does all that I want anyway.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?

I have the transformer prime. There are three ways I can transfer photos easily. One is to just use the EyeFi card in the camera and it will send directly to the tablet, ad hoc without a router. The second way is with USB dongle or keyboard attached to the tablet, I have a full USB port. Finally I can use a micro sd card with an adapter in my camera and then just plug the micro sd card (w/o adapter) into the tablet to transfer, no keyboard or dongle needed.

darkwings
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Sep 6, 2012

Thank you for all of the helpful information. I found a couple of the tablets at Best Buy so I was able to play with them. I do recommend that anyone interested in a tablet, go play with one. And ask every question you can think of to the salesperson. Some of them are actually knowledgeable.

The Asus transformer Infinity has a beautiful display - almost as nice as the new ipad. For photos I think it would be very nice. I learned that none (or very few) of the newer tablets have a full size USB port or a full size SD card slot because the manufacturers are trying to make them very thin and light.

I have been told (but don't have personal experience with them) that the ipad makes is somewhat difficult to transfer pictures and videos from a camera although the newest ipad may be a bit more friendly. I don't know if it would allow someone to transfer AVCHD videos however.

The Android pads will all allow the file transfer but most (as noted in several replies to this post) will need either a keyboard dock (with USB port) or a separate USB dongle in order to read an SD card or flash drive.

The "eye-fi" SD cards (with built-in wireless) might be a good solution but they are very expensive. I chose not to buy one.

Once again, thanks for the replies....now I just have to decide which tablet to buy.

-- hide signature --

Olympus PEN E-PM1

wildwilly
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Sep 7, 2012

How is the transformer with the keyboard? I didn't get the keyboard with mine. Are there any 'gotchas'?

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
In reply to wildwilly, Sep 7, 2012

I love the keyboard. It's a bit pricey but much easier to type on than the touchscreen. It has nice sized keys and a tactile feel to it. It includes a full size USB port and SD card slot. It add considerable battery life to the tablet. I keep mine attached most of the time.

liquidmonkey1
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to wildwilly, Sep 12, 2012

the keyboard dock essentially turns the INFINITY into a full on LAPTOP!!

full size USB, full size SD card port really help add actual 'functionality' to the tablet which IMHO, is missing in most other tablets.

buy the keyboard dock today and you will be really happy!

-- hide signature --

own a D7000 and i have a lot to learn
http://www.rodyphoto.weebly.com

JonV
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to liquidmonkey1, Sep 14, 2012

I am picking up a Nexus 7 today to help with my photo workflow after reading favorable reviews here, there and everywhere. I "played" with my iPad2 for a couple months to handle photos but it just doesn't fit the bill where I'm sure Android will with a better and more open file system and import/export processes. Hope to know much more in a few days time.

JonV
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to JonV, Sep 17, 2012

Spent the weekend with the new Nexus 7 and wasn't disappointed. Great device!

After spending a month trying to get EyeFi, PhotoSmith and LightRoom 4 to play nicely together on the iPad and failing, I fell back to a simpler approach on the N7. I let the EyeFi card just freely upload to the N7. On the road, I was able to view them on the bigger screen, edit a bit and upload a few to social media. Then when home, plugged the N7 into the PC and imported it all into LR.

Didn't quite have the implied "magic" of using PhotoSmith but I could never get that magic to work anyway (having PhotoSmith grab the images wirelessly from the EyeFi card, then sync them wirelessly into LR).

Happy with what I have with the N7.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads