How to turn off the built-in flash of the A77 in remote control mode?

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions
greves2
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
How to turn off the built-in flash of the A77 in remote control mode?
Sep 4, 2012

Hello,

I would like to use the built-in flash of my A77 to control remote flashes, but not contribute at all to the lighting of the image. The image is taken using a mirror so the built-in flash will be visible and should not be emitting any light in the picture.

Is this possible? If yes, how?

Thank you!

Gabor

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bart7D
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,918Gear list
Like?
Re: How to turn off the built-in flash of the A77 in remote control mode?
In reply to greves2, Sep 4, 2012

It is not possible, since codes in the light burst are used to trigger the distant flash(es).

But the best thing you can do is put a piece of black film (black part of a negative) over the built-in flash. It will dim most of the visible light, while allowing the needed infra-red light to pass and reach the external flash.

Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cetonid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474Gear list
Like?
Could something like this work?
In reply to Bart7D, Sep 4, 2012

http://www.lightscoop.com/buynow.html

Of course, you would need to have overhead reflective surface like a light colored ceiling.

Cetonid's gear list:Cetonid's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony SLT-A77 +11 more
Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,303Gear list
Like?

Unless you are less than 5ft from your subject the light from the popup should not effect the image as it is at a much lower power in wireless mode (you are in wireless mode?). As others have said you can tape exposed film to the flash or get one of the A-S1 IR Panels http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-S1-IR-Panel-camera-Pop-up-Flash-Sony-DSLR-Cameras-/230844441682

greves2 wrote:

Hello,

I would like to use the built-in flash of my A77 to control remote flashes,

Sony or Minolta remotes?

but not contribute at all to the lighting of the image.

Unless you are less than 5ft from your subject the light from the popup should not effect the image as it is at a much lower power in wireless mode (you are in wireless mode?).

The image is taken using a mirror so the built-in flash will be visible and should not be emitting any light in the picture.

It has to, the Sony wireless remote system works via light pulses

As others have said you can tape exposed film to the flash or get one of the A-S1 IR Panels http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-S1-IR-Panel-camera-Pop-up-Flash-Sony-DSLR-Cameras-/230844441682 .
--
Sarge

A77, A700 8mm Bower, 50mm 1.7, 35-70 F4, 90mm Tamron, 18-250 Sigma, 70-200 Sigma & 50-500 Bigma
Toys - Asus Transformer Android 4.0.3 tablet & Colorspace UDMA 500 gb
Albums at http://www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +25 more
greves2
Like?

Thanks. The A55 could do it. I fact that's all it could do. It built-in flash could not be used for fill light because it would control the remote flash BEFORE the exposure. I was wondering if there is a setting to set that kind of behavior.

Thanks agai!

Gabor

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,875
Like?

One other option is to set HSS mode. The on camera flash will be entirely finished it's communication and won't be visible during exposure at all. If I understand there is a mirror present in your scene and you don't want the flash seen there? this is the only way to do it besides wired or radio triggers.
--
http://www.daisyseyecancerfund.org/Files/Awareness/photographing_rb_poster.pdf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1247912/Mother-spots-cancer-babys-eye-taking-photo.html

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,641
Like?

greves2 wrote:

I would like to use the built-in flash of my A77 to control remote flashes, but not contribute at all to the lighting of the image. The image is taken using a mirror so the built-in flash will be visible and should not be emitting any light in the picture.

Bart7D wrote:

It is not possible, since codes in the light burst are used to trigger the distant flash(es)...

Yes, it is possible.

greves2 , I assume you are using a fully compatible remote flash that supports HSS. If so, shoot in S or M mode and make sure to set the shutter speed on the camera so that the 'HSS' indicator appears. On the A77 I think this will happen at 1/320s. Then the pop-up flash will never contribute any visible light to the scene.

Bart7D
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,918Gear list
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Sep 4, 2012

Thanks, Sybersitizen & Glenn - that's a good work-around I wasn't aware of!

Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +11 more
greves2
Like?
In reply to Bart7D, Sep 6, 2012

Thanks, Sybersitizen & Glenn - that's a good work-around I wasn't aware of either!
I tested it and works like a charm.

Gabor

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,875
Like?
In reply to greves2, Sep 6, 2012
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads