This is very weird, need help !!!

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
This is very weird, need help !!!
Sep 3, 2012

I have been using NX2 Win7 64 bit PC for a while now. But when I tired to launch it yesterday, it just wouldn't come up. No error - just the program won't start. No new software was added since I used it the last time (Aug 26th). No hardware added either. What I suspect is probably some registry change happened or Windows update occurred. On Aug 27th I did update the driver for the NVIDEA display adapter. I tried to revert back to the old driver. But it did not help.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling every Nikon software. I even cleaned up the .NET framework and reinstalled it. Swept the registry using Nikon's "Registry Sweeper" but to no avail.

BTW, even Capture NX wouldn't start even though View NX2 starts fine. But I really NX2 to start to work again.

PS3 works fine.

Help !!!!

-- hide signature --
 Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,196Gear list
Like?
Re: This is very weird, need help !!!
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Sep 4, 2012

Sorry, I can't help directly, Pradipta. I'd suggest that you contact Jason Odell about the issue. He's an NX guru and probably has seen this issue in the past and would be most likely to have a fix, IMO.

good luck
Kerry
--
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
craig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926
Like?

You might also try posting this over at the PC talk forum. Hope you get it resolved.

http://www.pbase.com/crs

Pradipta Dutta
Like?
Thanks, Craig and Kerry

Just posted on the "PC Talk" forum as well. I will also follow up with Jason.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
nikonsrme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391
Like?
Did you try a restore point to the day before the problem happened?

That usually will fix most anything as it puts eeverything back to the way it was when the restore point was created. Has saved me many times. In fact its a good idea to just create one right before you install something new just in case it blows up. Only takes a few seconds to create one.

Anyway hope it works for you.

-- hide signature --

'You can observe a lot just by watching.' YOGI BERRA

Photography by Jerry Faircloth
http://www.jerryfaircloth.com

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,196Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, Craig and Kerry

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

Just posted on the "PC Talk" forum as well. I will also follow up with Jason.

FWIW, I had some similar issues a couple of years ago, with NX and ViewNX, but the programs never worked, unlike with your situation. A fix was never found. It wouldn't work until the next version came out.

Since yours worked at one time, at least you know you don't have to wait for the next version. Nikon support wasn't all that helpful to me. Mostly, they just wanted me to remove and reinstall everything, and I mean everything Nikon related. But, the way windows works, there are usually residuals left in the mix somewhere. I hate to bear bad news, but you might be looking at a complete re-installation of windows and everything else, just to have a clean registry.

Hope that it doesn't come to that for you.
Kerry
--
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Sagittarius
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

I have been using NX2 Win7 64 bit PC for a while now. But when I tired to launch it yesterday, it just wouldn't come up. No error - just the program won't start. No new software was added since I used it the last time (Aug 26th). No hardware added either. What I suspect is probably some registry change happened or Windows update occurred. On Aug 27th I did update the driver for the NVIDEA display adapter. I tried to revert back to the old driver. But it did not help.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling every Nikon software. I even cleaned up the .NET framework and reinstalled it. Swept the registry using Nikon's "Registry Sweeper" but to no avail.

BTW, even Capture NX wouldn't start even though View NX2 starts fine. But I really NX2 to start to work again.

PS3 works fine.

Help !!!!

-- hide signature --

Hi,

I do not know if you alredy done this. Find capturenx.exe file under C/Program/Nikon/CaptureNX and see if you can open it from there. If yes, there is a problem with a path in the icon you open it with. Right click on the icon and make sure the path is correct.
--
Best regards

Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?
This might be obvious but...

Are you opening NX with a shortcut icon, or actually going to the program folder and opening it from there.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
Re: Thanks, Craig and Kerry
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Sep 4, 2012

Kerry Pierce wrote:

FWIW, I had some similar issues a couple of years ago, with NX and ViewNX, but the programs never worked, unlike with your situation. A fix was never found. It wouldn't work until the next version came out.

I am hoping I will be able to find a resolution. The key is that mine worked until the 26th.

Since yours worked at one time, at least you know you don't have to wait for the next version. Nikon support wasn't all that helpful to me. Mostly, they just wanted me to remove and reinstall everything, and I mean everything Nikon related. But, the way windows works, there are usually residuals left in the mix somewhere. I hate to bear bad news, but you might be looking at a complete re-installation of windows and everything else, just to have a clean registry.

Man, that will be a bummer if it comes to that. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will keep you guys informed as it comes along.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
Re: Did you try a restore point to the day before the problem happened?
In reply to nikonsrme, Sep 4, 2012

nikonsrme wrote:

That usually will fix most anything as it puts eeverything back to the way it was when the restore point was created. Has saved me many times. In fact its a good idea to just create one right before you install something new just in case it blows up. Only takes a few seconds to create one.

That was one of the first things I tried to do. For whatever reason, no restore points were available prior to 9/2. Murphy's law :-(.

Anyway hope it works for you.

I am definitely hoping it will get resolved.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
In reply to Sagittarius, Sep 4, 2012

Sagittarius wrote:

I do not know if you alredy done this. Find capturenx.exe file under C/Program/Nikon/CaptureNX and see if you can open it from there. If yes, there is a problem with a path in the icon you open it with. Right click on the icon and make sure the path is correct.

Yep, tried that too. Same response though - simply nothing happens.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
Re: This might be obvious but...
In reply to Joe Porto, Sep 4, 2012

Joe Porto wrote:

Are you opening NX with a shortcut icon, or actually going to the program folder and opening it from there.

Tried both.

-- hide signature --
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,779Gear list
Like?

Was there a Windows automatic update in that time frame? I had trouble downloading some automatic Windows updates via the auto function and had to do a manual one by one update and that fixed the issue with downloading them. What was happening was, whenever I shut down the computer, it would do the "auto update" and try to download the 8 updates that were available but when I would boot up the computer, it would say that the updates failed. By going into the "Windows Update" program, I ascertained what the latest updates were and then did each one individually and that fixed the issue.

However, I do not know if this is your problem. The thing is, you may not know that your computer has done an automatic update and this may have caused a conflict.
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Sagittarius
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?

Hi,

When you uninstalled CNX and cleaned registry, have you also deleted it's folder from program folder and from C/users/User name/appdata?
--
Best regards

Pradipta Dutta
Like?
In reply to Sagittarius, Sep 4, 2012

Sagittarius wrote:

Hi,

When you uninstalled CNX and cleaned registry, have you also deleted it's folder from program folder and from C/users/User name/appdata?

Didn't do that. I will try that as well.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
In reply to Lance B, Sep 4, 2012

Just checked, there were no windows update since 8/15.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
Only updates since 8/26 are ...

1. NVIDEA Graphics Driver 268.45 and
2. Mozilla Firefox 15.0
3. Registry Cleanup using Norton's PC Tuneup

I already tried reverting back to the previous version of the NVIDEA graphics drivers. So, I am eliminating that to be the problem.

Now, going over the details of the registry cleanup.

-- hide signature --
Pradipta Dutta
Like?
Re: Only updates since 8/26 are ...

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

1. NVIDEA Graphics Driver 268.45 and

As I mentioned earlier, I tried restoring the previous version and that did not help.

2. Mozilla Firefox 15.0

I can't believe this could be causing it. Can't see the connection between Firefox and Capture NX.

3. Registry Cleanup using Norton's PC Tuneup

I looked at every registry entry that was removed. It only removed those that referred to a non-existing file.

So, I am at a total loss as to what happened.

-- hide signature --
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,952
Like?
event viewer

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

A thought. Go to task manager and make sure it's not listed as running. Then go to event viewer and clear the widows logs so you have a fresh log to look though. Now try to start the program again. When it does open, go back to event viewer and check the widows logs for a hint as t why.

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,720
Like?
Re: Only updates since 8/26 are ...

It looks like stupid, but ... Did you execute some video troubleshooting (control panel) as well as delete the contents of the cache folder? (C:\Users\pradipta?\AppData\Local\Nikon\Capture NX\Cache)
Hope you do not have to format C:

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

--
http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads