best external monitor for retina macbook?

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions
SunsetPeaches
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: best external monitor for retina macbook?
In reply to MasterPhotog, Apr 18, 2013

I agree that Dell monitors are quality and work great with mac set ups.  I've loved mine and I'm glad I did not over pay for an Apple branded monitor.

MasterPhotog wrote:

zenkizero wrote:

so you think that the thunderbolt display is best option for the price, for editing on photoshop when connected to a rmbp?

I have had this argument with a lot of my colleagues over which is better the thunderbolt or the dell ultra sharp.  I program web apps. I have an older 15" Macbook Pro (2010) that I wanted to get a larger monitor (the 15" screen wasn't enough real estate). My Macbook doesn't have a thunderbolt port, so I am unable to use the new 27" Thunderbolt monitor. This was a bit disappointing to me as I was hoping to have a solid hardware upgrade path for my next Macbook Pro purchase. My only option (with Apple) was to buy the 27" Cinema display - which is compatible with my current Macbook. Both the Cinema Screen and the Thunderbolt screen cost the same ($999) which is annoying. The older tech should be cheaper, but it isn't (that's Apple).
A friend of mine told me to check out the Dell 30" UltraSharp. I spent about 3 weeks pouring over as many pictures and reviews as I could. I debated for a long time on the choice between this monitor and the 27" Apple Cinema Display. I figured, for a couple hundred more I could get a higher rez IPS monitor (the Dell) and accept and/or deal with any screen annoyances I would encounter.
So far, this has been the best monitor I have ever owned. The screen is amazing, the colors are amazing, and I can do my work the way I have always intended. My Macbook has no issue porting the highest resolution. It runs flawlessly. The monitor comes with every cable type you can imaging. However, it doesn't come with a displayport to mini-displayport. You will have to buy a cable (or an adapter) for that separately. I bought a Accell B119B-007J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable and it works perfectly.
If you are looking for a large monitor, you cant beat the quality of this amazing Dell. I won't hesitate to buy another if I have the need in the future.

Read all the reviews and decide for yourself....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
estherlee
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
thunderbolt dock, usb 3 and hdmi display
In reply to zenkizero, Apr 18, 2013

zenkizero wrote:

I bought the retina macbook pro, this will be my main computer for editing on photoshop/lightroom etc. With photoshop etc not being updated for retina yet I want to get an external monitor. 27 inch. What would be the best option? If it had hdmi it would be a bonus as i could play xbox on it also. Ive been looking at the dell ultrasharps but all this talk about the anti glare coating is putting me off. Im looking to spend around 600-800 pounds (would rather the lower figure)

actually i am planning to get a caldigit thunderbolt docking station that they just announced

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

that way i can do usb 3 plus hdmi monitor and another few more TB devices downstream

I have a dell small DVI/hdmi monitor

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,947Gear list
Like?
Cable advice please
In reply to zenkizero, Aug 21, 2013

I know it's an old thread but it's what I found from search.  I bought MacBook Pro 13" with retina display recently, and just ordered Dell U2713H monitor from B&H that will get by weekend.  I need an advice what's the right cable to connect MacBook Pro to the Dell monitor to fully leverage its resolution and color space without degradation, a Displayport to Thunderbolt cable?  Anyone can recommend such cable?  I called B&H and Dell and they told me different choices.

Thanks

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
technotic
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to anarti, Aug 22, 2013

Paul00 wrote:

Have a look at the new Dell 2713H, its just started to appear (£570 in UK) and TFT Central just posted their review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713h.htm

This display is not to be confused with the U2713H​M​ which is a cheaper model and while still an IPS panel only supports sRGB space and is not a wide Gamut model like the U, if that's what you want for photo editing.

The Apple display is not a good buy, partly because of the cost and limited connections, partly as its got an older generation panel in it, and partly because rumour is its about to be replaced:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/14/thunderbolt-display-inventory-dwindles-may-hint-at-upcoming-redesign

As the panel is not the same as the current 27" iMac and it has no USB3 connectivity or matching charging socket for the rMBP like you have.

Unless you plan to go with a cheapo Korean one for £200 less it seems one of the best options, its an LG panel internally and LG have their own model with the same panel coming out in a few months, I forget the model number.

When you're considering monitor for photography, why are you looking at Dells at all? Despite being IPS Wide Gamut displays, there are good for corporate etc.

Take a look at Eizo, NEC. I just bought SX2462 for £640 in UK. EIzo monitors have 5 years guarantee and the best photo equipment on the market basically.

Where did you get the SX2762W for that price? I'm in the market for an Eizo monitor. Thanks.

williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
Re: thunderbolt dock, usb 3 and hdmi display
In reply to estherlee, 10 months ago

estherlee wrote:

zenkizero wrote:

I bought the retina macbook pro, this will be my main computer for editing on photoshop/lightroom etc. With photoshop etc not being updated for retina yet I want to get an external monitor. 27 inch. What would be the best option? If it had hdmi it would be a bonus as i could play xbox on it also. Ive been looking at the dell ultrasharps but all this talk about the anti glare coating is putting me off. Im looking to spend around 600-800 pounds (would rather the lower figure)

actually i am planning to get a caldigit thunderbolt docking station that they just announced

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

that way i can do usb 3 plus hdmi monitor and another few more TB devices downstream

I have a dell small DVI/hdmi monitor

so been using this dock for a while, so far so good. I can drive additional 2 none thunderbolt monitors all together from the entire thunderbolt chain.

my host machine, one caldigit thunderbolt station, one seagate thunderbolt drive, two dell monitors.

chuhsi
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?
Re: Cable advice please
In reply to qianp2k, 10 months ago

i don't have thunderbolt on my old macbook pro so i connect to my 2713h with a mini display port to display port cable i got from amazon. works perfectly at full resolution.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,002
Like?
Re: Cable advice please
In reply to qianp2k, 10 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

I know it's an old thread but it's what I found from search. I bought MacBook Pro 13" with retina display recently, and just ordered Dell U2713H monitor from B&H that will get by weekend. I need an advice what's the right cable to connect MacBook Pro to the Dell monitor to fully leverage its resolution and color space without degradation, a Displayport to Thunderbolt cable? Anyone can recommend such cable? I called B&H and Dell and they told me different choices.

Dell's site says that this monitor has four video inputs: dual-link DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA. Of these, DisplayPort is the best choice.

As far as I know, all you need is an inexpensive MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable.  Thunderbolt ports use a connector that is physically identical to the MiniDisplayPort one, and since the Dell site did not say that the monitor's DisplayPort is "Mini", I am assuming that it is full-size.

Limitations:  If you attach a DisplayPort monitor or adapter to a Thunderbolt port/chain, it must be the only monitor or adapter on the chain, and it must go at the end of the chain.  If you want to add a second external monitor, use the other Thunderbolt port or the HDMI port…

compwiz57
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to zenkizero, 1 month ago

I would recommend using an IPS monitor because it has a better color accuracy. I found an article that has some IPS monitors that are HDMI. I like the recommendation of the ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD LED-lit Professional Graphics Monitor.

dmaclau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415Gear list
Like?
I bought
In reply to zenkizero, 1 month ago

Dell U2713HM monitor with the same specs as the TB display at around $600 with extended (6 year) warranty.  The screen isn't glossy if that matters to you and it doesn't have the extra Thunderbolt connectors but I enjoyed the $400 savings.

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-M1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads