Time to jump the ship? Or ...

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,060Gear list
Like?
Time to jump the ship? Or ...
Sep 2, 2012

I think I have had enough and will probably jump the ship. Why?

Sony is so bad at informing us, the core users of their A mount system, that I think I can’t live with their ignorance any more. This has been a pain for the past years, and now it is worse than ever!

When I buy a camera I expect firmware updates that not only fix bugs, but also make my old camera competitive compared to new cameras from other vendors. Faster autofocus, more automated settings, auto ISO, larger buffer and faster response is what we should expect. Not just minor bug fix or added in-camera lens correction data base for lenses that I don’t own.

Also, look at the situation now. Sony has not told us anything about the upcoming A99 or the 36 Mp FF camera that is expected to hit the marked soon. How can I plan my investment in a system when I don’t know where Sony is heading? Or which cameras they are planning to announce in the future, at least for some years ahead? This makes me really worry about the future of the A mount. They don't even answer all my e-mails sendt to the head office in Japan!

Then I have not mentioned the lens lineup yet. There are so many gaps that it is horrible. Where is the 200 mm, 400 mm, 600 mm and 800 mm bright lenses, or the tilt & shift lenses, or the ultra-wide prime lenses? I don’t need such lenses myself, but I am worried for all others who are just waiting for these lenses to arrive, not to say all those who are about to convert from Nikon and Canon to Sony. I think some of them will be disappointed.

Then we have the issue with image quality! Why do Nikon squeeze more out of their own sensors than Sony? Why could not Sony skip other aspects of image quality like color and low & high frequency detail, and offer less noisy sensors that are praised by incompetent testers? Then Sony could get a good reputation for their sensors out there! Then we have all this jpg smearing, which destroys all my images. I can't hardly figure out what is the main subject in daylit scenes, not even when using ISO 3200 and 6400! This is very important for me, even if I don’t shoot jpg. Some day I might mix up the in-camera image quality setting, and what then?

My conclusion is: Jump the ship as soon as possible!

Note: I read my post once more, and realized that the problem is unrealistic expectations from participants to forums like this one. Phew, I don’t need to jump the ship after all!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
underxposed59
Contributing MemberPosts: 710
Like?
Re: Time to jump the ship? Or ...
In reply to Nordstjernen, Sep 2, 2012

Don't let the door hit you

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
junMel
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?

This is what I like with a company like Sony. It allows us to be creative on our own which is what photography is all about. Sony doesn't make us all PhD's or UTI's (push here, Dummy or update this, Idi*t). They make the equipment that meets your budget then resourcefulness and creativity is our counterpart. I never had any complaints.

I am not against the opinion of others but I think the other firms that issue updates more often have stupid designers. Maybe they don't know what they are doing that's why they issue updates more often. Hit and miss until it gets right, after a dozen of firmware updates. It's tiresome, you know.

Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,134Gear list
Like?
Wait until Photokina ...

... it is only three weeks away:
http://www.photokina.de/de/photokina/home/index.php

... and send me a PM when you sell your gear - just in case.
--
Cheers,
Ralf
http://www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,204
Like?
Ah, the smell of napalm in the morning (nt)
-- hide signature --
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,731
Like?

Nord, your tongue in cheek is going to go over like a lead balloon. Many participants in the forum are engineers (a very literal group).

RandyPD
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?

You planning to buy those 600mm and 800m lenses any time soon?

linhn
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?

Very well written post. I think you nailed all the buttons minus the shift to EVF shift. The call for an 800mm bright lens was particularly good.

EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?

Nordstjernen wrote:

Sony is so bad at informing us, the core users of their A mount system, that I think I can’t live with their ignorance any more. This has been a pain for the past years, and now it is worse than ever!

When I buy a camera I expect firmware updates that not only fix bugs, but also make my old camera competitive compared to new cameras from other vendors. Faster autofocus, more automated settings, auto ISO, larger buffer and faster response is what we should expect. Not just minor bug fix or added in-camera lens correction data base for lenses that I don’t own.

Also, look at the situation now. Sony has not told us anything about the upcoming A99 or the 36 Mp FF camera that is expected to hit the marked soon. How can I plan my investment in a system when I don’t know where Sony is heading? Or which cameras they are planning to announce in the future, at least for some years ahead? This makes me really worry about the future of the A mount. They don't even answer all my e-mails sendt to the head office in Japan!

Then I have not mentioned the lens lineup yet. There are so many gaps that it is horrible. Where is the 200 mm, 400 mm, 600 mm and 800 mm bright lenses, or the tilt & shift lenses, or the ultra-wide prime lenses? I don’t need such lenses myself, but I am worried for all others who are just waiting for these lenses to arrive, not to say all those who are about to convert from Nikon and Canon to Sony. I think some of them will be disappointed.

Then we have the issue with image quality! Why do Nikon squeeze more out of their own sensors than Sony? Why could not Sony skip other aspects of image quality like color and low & high frequency detail, and offer less noisy sensors that are praised by incompetent testers? Then Sony could get a good reputation for their sensors out there! Then we have all this jpg smearing, which destroys all my images. I can't hardly figure out what is the main subject in daylit scenes, not even when using ISO 3200 and 6400! This is very important for me, even if I don’t shoot jpg. Some day I might mix up the in-camera image quality setting, and what then?

My conclusion is: Jump the ship as soon as possible!

Note: I read my post once more, and realized that the problem is unrealistic expectations from participants to forums like this one. Phew, I don’t need to jump the ship after all!

-- hide signature --

Nord.... I have one thought ! Bazzzzzinga....................!!!!!!

And I think Ill give you one of my legendary I.D. Tags, that you can use when you get this Evil...use it with restraint !

Bill aka EO

Otherboss
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?

Nordstjernen wrote:

Nord,

I think you'd better give up on the humour. It's like telling a joke to a banker, expecting some people to get your real meaning.
I laughed though - funny.
Barry

Otherboss's gear list:Otherboss's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +1 more
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,678
Like?
Sony Fan

I agree, it's unrealistic to expect the flash to work properly. Asking to have the ability to lock down the video button is way out of line. The crude magnification button implementation on the A65 can be lived with. Sure they could have improved the UI.

Another generation of camera without Auto ISO in M Mode, you can take pictures without it. Learn to use all the good things that are there and quit complaining.

Cheers,
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at http://www.dennismullen.com .

Bart7D
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,882Gear list
Like?
Crying 'wolf!' for fun?

Hmmm.

Strange kind of humor you expose here... Several of the mentioned features are not that unrealistic at all.

I think Sony-related people (especially from other parts of the world) will have a hard time to discern what you're actually saying or not saying. Not to speak of new and unprepared onlookers....

Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +11 more
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292
Like?
Re: Crying 'wolf!' for fun?
In reply to Bart7D, Sep 2, 2012

Bart7D wrote:

Several of the mentioned features are not that unrealistic at all.

Only unrealistic here is the expectation that Sony makes a camera according to users own wishes.

dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,678
Like?
Re: Crying 'wolf!' for fun?
In reply to Archer66, Sep 2, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

Only unrealistic here is the expectation that Sony makes a camera according to users own wishes.

We are voting with our dollars.

Cheers,
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at http://www.dennismullen.com .

Graham Best
Senior MemberPosts: 2,455Gear list
Like?
It's "jump ship"...

not "jump the ship".

Your English is excellent Nordstjernen, but you're using an American idiom incorrectly. "Jump the ship" implies a stunt, much as Evil Knievel might have performed, involving one physically jumping a ship.

Graham

Graham Best's gear list:Graham Best's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: It's "jump ship"...
In reply to Graham Best, Sep 2, 2012

Graham Best wrote:

not "jump the ship".

Your English is excellent Nordstjernen, but you're using an American idiom incorrectly. "Jump the ship" implies a stunt, much as Evil Knievel might have performed, involving one physically jumping a ship.

Graham

Hey Graham, have you never heard the term "jump the shark"? I think you are missing some humor here. Lighten up.
--
My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,017Gear list
Like?
You had me going...

You had me going, until I read the last line. Well done.

But I wondor how many will respond without reading the entire post. LOL

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Nordstjernen
Like?
Re: It's "jump ship"...
In reply to Graham Best, Sep 2, 2012

Graham Best wrote:

not "jump the ship".

Thanks a lot! I appreciate corrections like this one!

Foreign languages can sometimes be pretty much like "I hear what you say, but I don't understand what you say" due to meaning on sub and meta levels

Nordstjernen
Like?
Re: You had me going...
In reply to GodSpeaks, Sep 2, 2012

Good! I expect some to read much more into this post than what is written. Also, this kind of humor, close to reality, might be a risky sport due to culture differences!

Evildogofdoom
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to underxposed59, Sep 2, 2012

Errr..... Irony by-pass alert!!!!

Evildogofdoom's gear list:Evildogofdoom's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads