Something fell off my D800!

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Something fell off my D800!
Sep 1, 2012

Well, I was removing a SD card from my D800 when all of a sudden this small rubber piece fell out. It measures about 3/4" inch long:

After scratching my head for about 30 minutes trying to figure out where it could have possibly come from, I discovered it came from the back of the memory card door hinge area here:

Nice quality, Nikon!
--
"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AZBlue
Like?
Re: Something fell off my D800!
In reply to AZBlue, Sep 1, 2012

Okay so a couple of drops of crazy glue and I'm back in business. Still, if Nikon can't properly glue a rubber piece on the body how can they possibly get the focusing system right? This just makes you wonder where else in the camera there might be problems that we can't see.
--

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed Kalama
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

It happened to my D800E last night too. Couldn't figure out where it came from until I literally put both my D300S and D800E side by side to zero in on the missing part.

-- hide signature --

ed
Sometimes, I SHOOT LIKE CRAZY!
http://edgarces.smugmug.com

mironv
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,751Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed Kalama, Sep 1, 2012
-- hide signature --

When Nikon started F4 it had about 1800 parts and was ansamble by highly skilled technician. D70 was ansamble by young girls in 20 min. It looks like D800 they tray to bit D70 time and put them in 15 Min.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
Microshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?

Is your picture of the door showing the rubber piece missing or intact? When I saw the pic of the piece that fell out ..I looked at my 800 and I have no rubber pieces inside the door/card area or outside at the hinge...only in the center bottom that I thought was only acting as a bumper. SO...since I dont seem to have the rubber piece you are showing I am wondering where mine is....and where it "should" be! What does your camera look like after you have glued it back on?? Does it seal the bottom of the card door where your pic shows a gap on either side of a short (1/2 inch) rubber section?

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +15 more
LiveFromPhilly
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Sep 2, 2012

That's not too bad. All of the rubber is peeling off of my D300S.

I just ordered replacement parts on Friday but they're backordered.

LiveFromPhilly's gear list:LiveFromPhilly's gear list
Nikon D800 Ricoh GR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,053
Like?

(chuckling) ... well ... these are really poor images. They don't adhere to the "Rule of Thirds", the points which set the theme of the image seem to be out of focus. I can not make sense of the metaphor, you are trying to convey. They are bland and uninteresting. Did you take them with a "Kittycam"? So much for the images. About par for what some "experts" here would post. Isn't it?

I had to send my D800E back because it would not focus reliably. It does now. Really p*ssed me off, after spending $3.3K, (but nowhere near how Sony managed to p*iss me off with their NEX 7 release). Look ... Nikon survived a Tsunami and massive flooding in Thailand. Did they cut corners to get a product on the market and recover some cash flow? Perhaps. Will they fix shortcomings? Without a doubt. Share with me ... if this was a new car, (given the problems listed), would you be as upset if the mirror fell off? Point being? This remains the very best tool, (for the money), currently available.
Warm Regards
KarlT

-- hide signature --

Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
So, Where did you glue it back?

I am curious just in case I find one on the bottom of my bag or on my table where I take out my CF cards.

When I look at mine ... it looks like it is from the "gap" between the door?

HG

AZBlue wrote:

Well, I was removing a SD card from my D800 when all of a sudden this small rubber piece fell out. It measures about 3/4" inch long:

After scratching my head for about 30 minutes trying to figure out where it could have possibly come from, I discovered it came from the back of the memory card door hinge area here:

Nice quality, Nikon!
--

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Frank D'Amato
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?
Re: So, Where did you glue it back?
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Sep 2, 2012

I also lost mine.....

Frank D'Amato's gear list:Frank D'Amato's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
vnomura
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Sep 2, 2012

Looks like this piece is a little bumper so when the door opens it bumps against it to dampen it.

Even with it gone, it doesn't seem to affect the weather sealing at all.

Victor

Microshooter
Like?
In reply to vnomura, Sep 2, 2012

Can someone who has this piece in place please take a pic of the door closed to show everyone what it should look like with the picee in place??

THX

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +15 more
Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,398
Like?
In reply to Microshooter, Sep 2, 2012

Microshooter wrote:

Can someone who has this piece in place please take a pic of the door closed to show everyone what it should look like with the picee in place??

-- hide signature --

Philip

ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,089Gear list
Like?
Perfectly normal ... I can tell by the photo

If you read page 101 of the D800 manual, you will find a list of things - all user error - that will cause this piece to be released (NOT fall off).

One cause is focusing on an incorrect target. You must have focused on something forbidden in page 100 of the manual with one of your left AF points prior to opening the door.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Microshooter
Like?
Re: Perfectly normal ... I can tell by the photo
In reply to ne beginner, Sep 2, 2012

Perfect....thanks for the pics. Mine looks the same so Im ok...hope others are as well!!

AZBlue
Like?
In reply to Microshooter, Sep 2, 2012

Sorry I haven't been back since posting this originally… Yes, my photo of the memory card door on the side shows the piece missing from that small rectangular area. Someone else was kind enough to post a photo of how it should look - thank you.

All I did was open the door to remove my memory card and the piece fell out. Upon closer inspection, it looks like there was very little, if any, glue applied to the piece. It bothers me that people are saying their cameras don't have this piece. While I don't know what it's really for - in my case it doesn't provide any "bumper" effect whatsoever, it just fills the space.

It is disconcerting, to say the least, to see rubber pieces fall out of my $3,000 camera. Another data point, I suppose...
--

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

AZBlue wrote:

Okay so a couple of drops of crazy glue and I'm back in business. Still, if Nikon can't properly glue a rubber piece on the body how can they possibly get the focusing system right? This just makes you wonder where else in the camera there might be problems that we can't see.

I would have used some adhesive a little less permanent than crazy glue just in case that piece ever needed to be removed for some reason.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to LiveFromPhilly, Sep 2, 2012

LiveFromPhilly wrote:

That's not too bad. All of the rubber is peeling off of my D300S.

They often seem to have problems with rubber parts. Lucky Nikon don't make condoms.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
alanhli
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Nov 2, 2012

I got the same problem with my D800! luckily Nikon Canada only 30 min drive! I send that in! the tech look at in and when inside to see if there a replacement part! and the tech inside said that the small piece only come with the memory card assembly! so they got to open up my 2 weeks old D800! sigh...... luckily it cover by Nikon warranty!

marco1974
Senior MemberPosts: 1,553Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Nov 2, 2012

mironv wrote:

-- hide signature --

When Nikon started the F4, it had about 1800 parts and was assembled by highly skilled technicians. The D70 was assembled by young girls in 20 min. It looks like with the D800 they are trying to beat the D70 time and put them together in 15 Min.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

Apart from some minor spelling problems... what you wrote is sad but probably true.

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
alanhli
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to marco1974, Nov 2, 2012

lol

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads