S100 after 2nd repair

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions
gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,553Gear list
Like?
S100 after 2nd repair
Sep 1, 2012

When Canon returned my repaired s100 following the lens problem, I felt there was something wrong with the camera. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Some images were slower to write to the memory card than I remembered and there were more blurred images than I ever had before. I posted a number of photos and discussed it in some threads in this forum. I started believing it was user error. I had been using the S90 for six weeks, and thought maybe I just forgot about the feel of the S100.

About a week and a half later, the LCD went, so back the camera went to Canon for a second repair.

I received my S100 last evening and have taken a number of test photos, all to my satisfaction. I immediately could feel that the camera was peppy like I had indeed remembered it.

So all appears well the second-time around. I hope it stays that way.

In case anyone is wondering, I checked the serial number. Canon did not replace the camera. The one I sent them twice is the once I got back.
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Canon PowerShot S90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,621Gear list
Like?
Re: S100 after 2nd repair
In reply to gail, Sep 1, 2012

That is very strange Gail, that it took two tries like that. I thought that when the lens went they would replace the entire lens assembly, which would include the sensor. They must have jiggled something loose in the rest of the camera the first time around. Anyway, I'm so glad that it is back to its normal, healthy self and you can continue to enjoy it and make great pictures.

gail wrote:

When Canon returned my repaired s100 following the lens problem, I felt there was something wrong with the camera. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Some images were slower to write to the memory card than I remembered and there were more blurred images than I ever had before. I posted a number of photos and discussed it in some threads in this forum. I started believing it was user error. I had been using the S90 for six weeks, and thought maybe I just forgot about the feel of the S100.

About a week and a half later, the LCD went, so back the camera went to Canon for a second repair.

I received my S100 last evening and have taken a number of test photos, all to my satisfaction. I immediately could feel that the camera was peppy like I had indeed remembered it.

So all appears well the second-time around. I hope it stays that way.

In case anyone is wondering, I checked the serial number. Canon did not replace the camera. The one I sent them twice is the once I got back.
--

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?

The clock is ticking, gail, till your next repair. Time to get a Nikon P7100.

gail
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Sep 1, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

You're way too pessimistic, here and in other posts I've read! I will eventually get a small camera with a larger sensor...just don't know when or which. In the meantime, I'm planning to enjoy my S100!

Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
toomanycanons
Like?

Well, you've kept us notified of your S100 problems in the past and I'm sure you'll keep us updated on problems in the future.

gail
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Sep 2, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

Well, you've kept us notified of your S100 problems in the past and I'm sure you'll keep us updated on problems in the future.

Will do, along with all the others who have shared their problems with the camera.

skisagooner
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Sep 2, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I thought that when the lens went they would replace the entire lens assembly, which would include the sensor. They must have jiggled something loose in the rest of the camera the first time around.

My guess is they tried repairing the defected lens... until consumers start complaining that they'll break again. Then they gave up and replace the entire thing.

skisagooner's gear list:skisagooner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
gail
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Sep 2, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

FWIW, my s100 is working better than ever after the second repair. I took some photos today under trying low light and varied lighting conditions, and I was very pleased.

I'm hoping that my camera will be problem free going forward!
--

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to gail, Sep 3, 2012

gail wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

FWIW, my s100 is working better than ever after the second repair. I took some photos today under trying low light and varied lighting conditions, and I was very pleased.

I'm hoping that my camera will be problem free going forward!
--

-- hide signature --

Good to hear it's all up and running Gail. After two attempts they probably put a 5D sensor in there. Well, the lens would be a give away.
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
gail
Like?
In reply to DonA2, Sep 3, 2012

dona2 wrote:

After two attempts they probably put a 5D sensor in there. Well, the lens would be a give away.

LOL, Don. I wish.

bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,137
Like?
In reply to gail, Sep 3, 2012

Gail, you are very patient. I'm very glad to read that the second repair has resulted in an excellent camera so far.

Last month I took my S100 on our fourth trip to Glacier park, along with my 50D and lenses (35 lbs of gear - ugh!). Somewhat to my surprise, I used the S100 100% of the time and I'm delighted with the results (at least as far as the camera's capabilities go - )
--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

wildplaces
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
In reply to gail, Sep 4, 2012

Gail, glad to hear your S100 is back to normal! I did dro pinto my local retailer this weekend to ask about my request in connection with a "latent defect". My local store is sophisticated and a good-sized dealer, they have a bunch of professional clients as well.

The salesperson who spoke to the Canon rep told me that it was a bad solder connection that is coming loose and causing the lens error, and that it is not common (he was told a relatively small number of S100s within the affected serial numbers have been returned for repair.)

Maybe an assembler was having a bad day, or they had a bad bunch of solder...

the Canon rep told him that he was instructing anyone concerned to send their S100 back to Canon and tell them the lens is making noise, to have it checked out. I am not going to do this while my S100 is working well...

Just used it on a client inspection visit, including some shots inside a dark building, and they came out fine after a little adjustment PP.

the only regular focus problems I'm having are when I'm trying to include a somewhat near object in a long shot, and forget to switch to manual focus, although I have more OOF shots on the S100 than on my old Fuji F10.

My S100 is temporarily off-duty while I play with my new Canon 40mm F2.8 pancake lens on my 40D...getting some great shots with my new walkaround lens. A few taken this afternoon in front of the local health food store:

laquila65
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Sep 4, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

P7100 is already known for the lens cover mechanism problem. I've given up on cameras with a retracting lens and an automatic lens cover altogether. Canon S90/95/100 are the worst in this respect. I still own an S95 but I treat it as already dead, so that I don't get frustrated when it actually dies on me with that lens error (which will happen, I don't kid myself here). My strategy is called "rotation". I rotate S95, G12, and Panasonic LX5, all of which I own. I figured, the three of them are different enough to give me the most fun out of shooting, and together they should last me a long enough time.

I also have a Canon G2, which, despite its age, the 4-megapixel sensor, and the effective ISO-400 still does an excellent job in good light. Now, those older Powershots were built like tanks. This particular camera is from 2001 (I think) and it looks and works like new. The picture quality is indistinguishable from the current Powershots and rivals many current cameras from other manufacturers. For a true photographer, this is a perfect camera choice. Being a lamer myself, I buy more and more gear (just like everybody else nowadays). With God's help I'll conquer this terrible affliction!

laquila65's gear list:laquila65's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D40 Nikon D80 Canon EOS 550D +4 more
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
In reply to gail, Sep 4, 2012

Hi Gail, Glad you are back in business. You are always helpful on the forum and I wish you and your S100 years of happy shooting.

hiplnsdrftr
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?
In reply to gail, Sep 6, 2012

I had to have my S95 repaired twice, both times still under warranty.

When the camera was virtually brand new the flash unit exploded.
--
Canon EOS-M... too bad about the flash.

hiplnsdrftr's gear list:hiplnsdrftr's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot S95 Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +1 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,563
Like?
In reply to laquila65, Sep 6, 2012

The P7000 was notorious for lens cover problems but I did not think the P7100 had this problem. These built in covers whilst convenient do mean that you have to protect the cover when the camera is off as much as the lens when it is on. A UV filter is by far the best lens cover.

Do not forget that many people seem keen to put these cameras in their pockets in which case bent lens cover blades are virtually guaranteed.

laquila65 wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

P7100 is already known for the lens cover mechanism problem. I've given up on cameras with a retracting lens and an automatic lens cover altogether. Canon S90/95/100 are the worst in this respect. I still own an S95 but I treat it as already dead, so that I don't get frustrated when it actually dies on me with that lens error (which will happen, I don't kid myself here). My strategy is called "rotation". I rotate S95, G12, and Panasonic LX5, all of which I own. I figured, the three of them are different enough to give me the most fun out of shooting, and together they should last me a long enough time.

I also have a Canon G2, which, despite its age, the 4-megapixel sensor, and the effective ISO-400 still does an excellent job in good light. Now, those older Powershots were built like tanks. This particular camera is from 2001 (I think) and it looks and works like new. The picture quality is indistinguishable from the current Powershots and rivals many current cameras from other manufacturers. For a true photographer, this is a perfect camera choice. Being a lamer myself, I buy more and more gear (just like everybody else nowadays). With God's help I'll conquer this terrible affliction!

toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to hiplnsdrftr, Sep 6, 2012

I had a TV once that stopped working.

PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Sep 6, 2012

Greynerd wrote:

Do not forget that many people seem keen to put these cameras in their pockets in which case bent lens cover blades are virtually guaranteed.

Sigh. You have no idea what you're talking about. For one, there's been no persistent problems with bent lens covers on s-series cameras, the ones that actually fit in a pocket. Second, it's the models like the g11 and p7000 that have had lens cover issues - models to big to fit in most pockets.

gail
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Sep 6, 2012

PaulRivers wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

I treat my s100 with TLC; before putting it in my pocket or purse, it's placed in a pouch.

Bruce Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 800
Like?
In reply to gail, Sep 9, 2012

Well, ....,....' looks like my S100 will be going in for it's 2nd repair. First lens error message in mid March. Repaired and returned in quick order but tonight, about 3750 photos later, I got the lens error again.

For some reason , I wasn't as upset this time. Maybe because I've been a bit wary that it might happen again and it happened at home as I was shooting some

negligable photos from my computer screen. It's just more of a nuissance and a disapointment, this time.

I would hope that Canon would come up with something like a 3 strikes policy , where after something like 3 repairs, they would replace ( not repair ) with a camera which is not in the "bad" serial number batch.

Oh well,..... lesson learned. Wait a few months after initial release of new cameras, until user reviews are in.

Original photo I was shooting from computer screen was taken with Canon SD870 IS ....fine compact ( except low light not comparable to later S series compacts ) Never a problem , but I dropped it in water and learned another lesson
.....ALWAYS USE WRIST STRAP !

Fortunately, I still have my trusty S90....and close to 30,000 photos.

Life goes on......

Correction: Just noticed , original photo on computer screen taken with another

great Canon compact ( for its time ) the SD700IS Still got that one and it's still working , fine........

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads