XP1 losing focus in review mode

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197
Like?
XP1 losing focus in review mode
Aug 31, 2012

When taking photos of still subjects in my room, I put the XP1 on a tripod and used manual focus along with AF-lock button so I dont have to refocus everytime.

However I discovered something very annoying: everytime I go into review mode, the lens would get reset to a different focal distance, and I would have to focus again. Not only that, the shutter speed also got reset to 1/250, which caused black bands in flash photos.

I'm fairly happy with the result but the process took quite a bit more efforts than usual.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: XP1 losing focus in review mode
In reply to hellocrowley, Aug 31, 2012

Those are beautiful pictures.

Yes it seems that Fujifilm's programmers have absolutely no idea how a working photographer goes about their job. Your example is a classic one.

-- hide signature --

Help Fight Disease! http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage
Please join and be part of the solution! Lives can be saved.

I fold under the name RattyM. > 90 Work units completed, BILLIONS of calculations done, all from a Dell laptop. Everyone can be part of the solution. You just have to get started.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jzzmusician
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?

Were you in full manual? Or something like aperture or shutter priority?

Thanks in advance,

bob

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,324Gear list
Like?

When the camera is in manual mode nothing changes between shots, at least not on my version.

Why do you need AEL in manual mode?

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
hellocrowley
Like?
In reply to 57even, Sep 1, 2012

I was in manual everything, aperture, speed, focus, iso. I used AF-L to focus in manual mode so that pressing the shutter wont change the focus. I also set shutter speed to 1/200 which is about the max sync speed.

The shutter speed and focus change only when I go into review (playback) mode, which happens often when I use multiple flahses. You should try it.

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,324Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 1, 2012

hellocrowley wrote:

I was in manual everything, aperture, speed, focus, iso. I used AF-L to focus in manual mode so that pressing the shutter wont change the focus. I also set shutter speed to 1/200 which is about the max sync speed.

The shutter speed and focus change only when I go into review (playback) mode, which happens often when I use multiple flahses. You should try it.

OK, I tried with the flash. If I adjust the shutter speed in 1/3 stops, it does reset to the nearest stop (it loses the fine tune). However my focus remained the same.

Using the EF20 Fuji flash I could synch fine at 1/250 though but I guess it may not work with all flashes. Any reason you can't use a slower speed? 1/125 would work fine too on a tripod. Your subject is not moving after all....

Surprised there is not a speed setting relating to the sync speed though.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
hellocrowley
Like?
In reply to 57even, Sep 2, 2012

I believe anything above 1/200s only works with Fuji flashes and wouldn't work with off camera flashes.

When I go into or get out of playback mode the lens makes an aperture closing sound, does yours do this?

Keith Jefferies
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 2, 2012

This works for the X100. so maybe on the XP1 as well.

If you want to chimp do not use playback but try continous review instead.

Then cancel review by pressing the shutter button. This will leave all settings as previously set.

Hope this helps,

Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
hellocrowley
Like?
In reply to Keith Jefferies, Sep 2, 2012

That's what I ended up doing, but it's not very convenient. I can't go back and forth to compare to previous shots. It's really strange why Fuji does this.

Keith Jefferies wrote:

This works for the X100. so maybe on the XP1 as well.

If you want to chimp do not use playback but try continous review instead.

Then cancel review by pressing the shutter button. This will leave all settings as previously set.

Hope this helps,

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 2, 2012

My X100 did that as well. Very amerturish implempentation, one of a number that spoiled the X100 experience for me.

Very nice shots, but is the stain on the part of the guitar a shadow or part of the wood? Looks like a shadow but I can't see from what.

-Najinsky

hellocrowley
Like?
In reply to Najinsky, Sep 4, 2012

Thanks, that's the reflection of my backdrop and floor. I didn't notice it until later. Kinda hard to fix so I just leave it there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads