Z-990 the un-problem

Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661
Like?
Z-990 the un-problem
Aug 30, 2012

In a previous post, I informed you that my z-990 had died. No power at all.

Went the route of contact with Kodak, but you can read all that from my previous post. So I was no longer a z-990 user with little or no future to have it fixed..

Today the UPS guy arrived about 5:00PM with a package for me.

This contained a z-990 camera, in the box with all the bells and whistles.

Thru the efforts of a KTF forum member, Billx08 , I now have again, a working Z-990.

Installed my SD card, a set of batteries and outdoors I went. Now at this time of year approaching 6:00PM is not my ideal time of day to take pictures here in the Southern Tier of New York State. Very "hilly"here and the place I live, Nunda, is in a valley.

I managed a few quick shots and below you can see that I am back using the Z-990. Nothing great, but what a pleasure to use the camera again.

Part of the deal with Bill was to send him some shots of the village of Nunda, NY which I will take in the next few days and later on some fall foliage shots. But for now have a look at the ones below.

A big thanks to all who have commented on my previous posts and a special thanks to our Billx08.
Paul

A shot of my favorite bush here at the apartment complex a "Rose Of Sharron" Two years ago, it was cut way back and had very few blossoms last year Doing well this year.

This is a plant around a base of a tree. It was Back-Lit and really shows the ability of the z-990 at handling RED as a color.

And this last shot is a tree top, a very tall tree,(75/100 Ft), at the end of our parking area. I wanted to check out the full zoom and besides the sky certainly was BLUE.

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,329
Like?
Re: Z-990 the un-problem
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 30, 2012

Really nice images Paul..rich Kodak color and high IQ for sure! Speaking of Bill, I have always valued his camera expertise here and especially on the Fuji forum..he knows his stuff. Glad you are back in the Z990 camp and look forward to more photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bassy
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,774
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, Aug 30, 2012

i am with you on that i find that Billx08 is very helpfull person
and like you say he knows his cameras and i like the way he explains things

SW Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 31, 2012

What a nice outcome. A hat tip for Billx08. Nice photos there. I hope the camera provides good use for many years.

PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661
Like?
In reply to SW Anderson, Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for all the replies.

Today, I left the car for its annual inspection, so I thought it would be a great time to take the pictures of the small town I live in while the guys doing the inspection did their thing.

Only problem is that the camera would not save a picture to the memory card. Worked for 4-5 pictures last night.

Took the card out and found the camera would save a image to the internal memory. Hmm, guess I forgot to reformat the card after moving it from the dead z-990.

After a reformat, I went back to the center of town and took a bunch of pictures which will need a bit of culling out, but the camera worked with out a problem.

But now thinking about todays problem, I remember when I first received the other, now dead z-990, that I had updated the firnware to the latest version (1.12). Anybody here on this forum, done the update? I did not notice much of a change with the old camera after doing the update.

I now wonder if todays problem with the memory card had anything to do with the fact that the card came from a camera with a newer version of firmware.

I have the means to do the update, but after killing one camera, do I take the chance?

Take care,
Paul

Blackbear
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Aug 31, 2012

PaulM2 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.

Today, I left the car for its annual inspection, so I thought it would be a great time to take the pictures of the small town I live in while the guys doing the inspection did their thing.

Only problem is that the camera would not save a picture to the memory card. Worked for 4-5 pictures last night.

Took the card out and found the camera would save a image to the internal memory. Hmm, guess I forgot to reformat the card after moving it from the dead z-990.

After a reformat, I went back to the center of town and took a bunch of pictures which will need a bit of culling out, but the camera worked with out a problem.

But now thinking about todays problem, I remember when I first received the other, now dead z-990, that I had updated the firnware to the latest version (1.12). Anybody here on this forum, done the update? I did not notice much of a change with the old camera after doing the update.

I now wonder if todays problem with the memory card had anything to do with the fact that the card came from a camera with a newer version of firmware.

I have the means to do the update, but after killing one camera, do I take the chance?

Take care,
Paul

Could very well be the new FW formats the card slightly different than the old one.

Therefore always format in the camera that you use the card with.

Before flashing the FW I always check the card with Storage Tools on my iPAQ PDA to be safe afa the cards File System is concerned .

With all these precautions taken it usually go's well.
--
Mart

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away.

Kodak DX7590, Z980, P880, C875, P850, M583
( Lumix TZ5, my wife)

Blackbear's gear list:Blackbear's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Kodak DC290 Kodak DC3400 Kodak DC4800 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads