Ballhead for 400 5.6 + 60D on mono-pod

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Ballhead for 400 5.6 + 60D on mono-pod
Aug 29, 2012

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ball head under $100. to fit my Manafroto mono-pod? It's a 3 extension aluminum stick with about a 1 to 11/4" platform at the top to mount the head (with 1/4-20 threads) I don't want something over big that will take over the top of the pod. Then again what would be a fair weight range for the head? I haven’t been keeping up on what’s out there

Foggy

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,800
Like?
Re: Ballhead for 400 5.6 + 60D on mono-pod
In reply to foggy, Aug 29, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-3229-Swivel-Quick-Release/dp/B00006J053

That's all you need or want for a monopod. There is also another version available if you happen to use the arca-swiss system, but it is more expensive.
--

• Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,247Gear list
Like?
In reply to billythek, Aug 29, 2012

I agree. Why pay for a ball head which gives you 360 degrees of motion when you only really need up and down (since you can easily rotate the monopod)? And, frankly, after using the Manfrotto head recommended, I decided I didn't even need it and simply screw the monopod into the lens foot.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Howard S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,849
Like?
Plus 1
In reply to billythek, Aug 30, 2012

Yes, I agree

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,853Gear list
Like?
In reply to foggy, Aug 30, 2012

Skip the ball head and go for a tilt head. Your panning action comes from just rotating the whole 'pod. There are several out there, from the small Manfrotto (with their annoying QR system) to a variety of medium sized heads : Custom Brackets, Hejnar, Kirk, RRS, all of which offer Arca-Swiss clamps. (Custom Brackets also has its own proprietary clamp system in addition to A-S). I suspect that the Manfrotto is at the top of its rated capacity with the 400mm f/5.6 and 60D, but, with a monopod, you are always supporting the camera so the actual weight taken by the head is less than the camera plus lens weight.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
billythek
Like?
In reply to NancyP, Aug 30, 2012

The Manfrotto tilt head is solid and more than adequate to support the 400mm f/5.6. If you are concerned about vibration, there will be much more vibration just from the fact that it is a monopod rather than a tripod. The only concern should be whether this will keep the lens connected to the monopod, and it is more than adequate for that.

If you really want a high-end solution, though, RRS has a nice one. But it isn't cheap.

I got the Kirk arca-swiss version, simply because I use arca-swiss plates with my tripod, and didn't want to change them out when I use the monopod.
--

• Bill

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Re: Plus 2 (nt)
In reply to Howard S, Aug 30, 2012
-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

foggy
Like?
In reply to billythek, Aug 30, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions I settled for the Manfrotto Tilt Top-Swivel Tilt Head with RC Plate 200PL-14 the later version of the 3229 Swivel Tilt Head. I don't know if there are any differences between the two. I had a similar Manfrotto tilt head without quick release plate years ago. It was not very smooth when set loose for up and down movement. Lets hope materials, assembly and design have improved in 20 years.

This will also eliminate the flop I had from side to side when I had the tri-pod ring on the lens loose and the cheep ball head I was using set loose also. ( held steady with a strong grip) My hand can use the loss of movement in that direction.

Foggy

Peter too
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?
In reply to foggy, Aug 31, 2012

The RRS one is very strong, I use it with both the 400mm 5.6 and 65mm macro +twin flash.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=MH01&key=cat

I have a plate on the base of the camera which makes it easy and very quick to attach the camera to the monopod via a clamp on the RRS.

foggy
Like?
In reply to Peter too, Sep 1, 2012

Looks like great stuff! My problem is My money tree is still recovering from buying the 400 5.6 and I will have to make do with the Manfrotto for now.

Thanks

Foggy

PanErwin
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
In reply to foggy, Sep 1, 2012

foggy wrote:

Hi,

It was not very smooth when set loose for up and down movement. Lets hope materials, assembly and design have improved in 20 years.
Foggy

Not sure. I am disappointed with the Manfrotto 234RC, friction control is very bad, irregular!

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,509Gear list
Like?
Kirk also makes a nice one.......
In reply to foggy, Sep 1, 2012

This is well made and slightly less pricey than the RRS head..........
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_MPA-2_Monopod_Head.html
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Tazz93
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135Gear list
Like?
Ball-head on a Mono...
In reply to foggy, Sep 10, 2012

Boy, that really sounds like more trouble than its worth. Try direct mounting like they said previously.

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +4 more
GordonAtWork
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
In reply to foggy, Sep 11, 2012

is pretty much the same as what I use to mount my 1Ds2 and either 400 f5.6, 80-200 f2.8 or a 600mm mirror lens on my Manfrotto 679B 3 section monopod. Since it's on the monopod I never really let go of the camera lens combo so it's good enough and locks into position really well. If I need to leave my camera on a tripod I'll use my Manfrotto 141RC head.

The ballhead costs £13.99 although mine is slightly different in shape and cost me £12.99.
--
Moderator wannabe !

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
billythek
Like?
Re: Ball-head on a Mono...
In reply to Tazz93, Sep 12, 2012

Tazz93 wrote:

Boy, that really sounds like more trouble than its worth. Try direct mounting like they said previously.

It's nice to have the freedom to tilt the camera without having to tilt the monopod as well. Plus having the monopod leg stick straight down is not very stable. It's better to have the leg stick out in front so you can lean into it and brace it with your own leg. And it's convenient to have a quick release, rather than screw on.

I like the looks of the new Kirk, but I can't see paying $200 for it. The version I have is the old Kirk that looks like the Manfrotto tilt head, but with the arca-swiss release. It works fine for me with my 70-200 f/2.8, which weighs more than the 400 f/5.6 the OP was using. I don't see it listed on the Kirk site anymore, though.

Granted, the friction is a little inconsistent, but I haven't been annoyed enough to want to spend big bucks for something better. It suits my needs.

-- hide signature --

• Bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads