CANON LENS to m4/3 adapters QUESTIONS! HELP!

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions
wylun
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
CANON LENS to m4/3 adapters QUESTIONS! HELP!
Aug 29, 2012

Hey guys, i was looking through the forums for some questions on this but seemed to be outdated alittle.. so I thought a update would be nice..

TOPIC - EF lens to m4/3 adapters.

1. What is the best EF to m4/3 adapter w/o a aperture ring right now?

2. If you use a non-changing aperture ring adapter.. do you just shoot at whatever aperture it is all the time... or do you constantly just take off the lens.. put it on a canon body.. change it.. and then switch it back...
3. What is the best EF to m4/3 adapter WITH a aperture ring?

4. if you use a adapter w/ a aperture ring, if the Lens itself was set on lets say 1.8... and you put it on the adapter.. how does that conflict w/ the aperture ring if the aperture ring is at its smallest (lets just say on the markings.. 6/6? or a f/8-16)

5. can anyone school me in canon FD lenses or any manual legacy lenses i guess, (olympus,nikon etc.).. as they have their own aperture settings i believe.. wat are the best common prime ones.. sharpest.. about how much? what do u use?

thanks if anyone can answer some of these..

wylun's gear list:wylun's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16
carlosvp
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Re: CANON LENS to m4/3 adapters QUESTIONS! HELP!
In reply to wylun, Aug 29, 2012

Without aperture ring? That's easy, any of the cheapies on Ebay should be fine. I have one marked FOTGA that works well. It cost me $13 or something like that. Get an all-metal one.

2. If you use a non-changing aperture ring adapter.. do you just shoot at whatever aperture it is all the time... or do you constantly just take off the lens.. put it on a canon body.. change it.. and then switch it back...

I use lenses with aperture control on the lens body.

Sorry, don't have one, so I can't help you there.

5. can anyone school me in canon FD lenses or any manual legacy lenses i guess, (olympus,nikon etc.).. as they have their own aperture settings i believe.. wat are the best common prime ones.. sharpest.. about how much? what do u use?

That's a huge topic. Every lens manufacturer has made a wide variety of lenses, of varying quality, over the years. Older manual-focus lenses are in such low demand that all but the really exotic ones (fast long primes, fast zooms, fast hyper-wide-angle...) are fairly cheap these days.

I have some Canon, Nikon/Nikkor, Sigma, Vivitar, and others. They all have their uses. Of my Canon lenses, I particularly like the 135mm f/3.5.

C.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wylun
Like?
In reply to carlosvp, Aug 30, 2012

carlosvp wrote:

Without aperture ring? That's easy, any of the cheapies on Ebay should be fine. I have one marked FOTGA that works well. It cost me $13 or something like that. Get an all-metal one.

I use lenses with aperture control on the lens body.

Sorry, don't have one, so I can't help you there.

That's a huge topic. Every lens manufacturer has made a wide variety of lenses, of varying quality, over the years. Older manual-focus lenses are in such low demand that all but the really exotic ones (fast long primes, fast zooms, fast hyper-wide-angle...) are fairly cheap these days.

I have some Canon, Nikon/Nikkor, Sigma, Vivitar, and others. They all have their uses. Of my Canon lenses, I particularly like the 135mm f/3.5.

C.

wow thanks for the help!

Canon PowerShot G16
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,023Gear list
Like?
In reply to wylun, Aug 30, 2012

wylun wrote:

What is the best EF to m4/3 adapter WITH a aperture ring? If you use a adapter w/ a aperture ring, if the Lens itself was set on lets say 1.8... and you put it on the adapter.. how does that conflict w/ the aperture ring if the aperture ring is at its smallest (lets just say on the markings.. 6/6? or a f/8-16)

I've never used this kind of adapter, but a week ago there was thread where people speculated on their usefullness. Finally, someone with real ownership xperience said to forget these things. He said the restriction in the light path at the end of the adapter did very bad things for sharpness. I have to believe him.

5. can anyone school me in canon FD lenses or any manual legacy lenses i guess, (olympus,nikon etc.).. as they have their own aperture settings.

Most any 50mm f1.8 is as good as another and all are cheap. I have FD, OM, and AR mpunt 50mms. Fast 85mm and 100mm lenses are great for stage and sports events. If you shoot these, an 85mm f1.8 or 100mm f2 is fun, but neither are cheap. What's cheap are 135mm f2.8's, and all are about about the same. Diminishing returns as you go down to the 35mm and 28mm primes. Better off spending money toward a Sigma 30mm.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Diane B
Forum ProPosts: 20,484
Like?
In reply to baxters, Aug 30, 2012

I have an EOS adapter and have tried EF lenses but the only two I really ever use now are a TS 45/2.8 and a Tamron 90/2.8 macro. Otherwise, too big, heavy and especially no way to change settings (aperture esp) without mounting on an EF body.

I have a number of FD lenses (and two Nikkor Fs and a Konica Hexanon) that I shot with from the beginning of m4/3 to fill in lens gaps, I have two FD adapters, one an early quite pricey one and the other is an under $25 one--equally good, though the inexpensive one is better for infinity focusing. I esp. like my 35/2.8, a lovely quite small lens but now left behind most of the time since I have a 45/2.8. I also like the 28/2 though a bit heavy but very nice output (but the Panny 25/1.4 is now my favorite lens). We now have a nice assortment of native m4/3 lenses but if you just enjoy shooting with older MF lenses or can't swing buying new lenses, there are many bargains out there. I'm covered from 24/2.8 through 28, 35, 50 and 135 (with two 24/2.8s and a 35/2 in addition to the small 2.8) with the FDs, Nikkors and Hexanon, 5-FDs, 2-Nikkors, 1-Konica.

Hope this helps.

Diane

baxters wrote:

wylun wrote:

What is the best EF to m4/3 adapter WITH a aperture ring? If you use a adapter w/ a aperture ring, if the Lens itself was set on lets say 1.8... and you put it on the adapter.. how does that conflict w/ the aperture ring if the aperture ring is at its smallest (lets just say on the markings.. 6/6? or a f/8-16)

5. can anyone school me in canon FD lenses or any manual legacy lenses i guess, (olympus,nikon etc.).. as they have their own aperture settings.

wylun
Like?
In reply to Diane B, Aug 30, 2012

wow thanks... i really appreciate the responses~ i've been wanting to get into using some of my EF Lenses on my m43 but just didnt kno that much about the adapters or how to get into it.. then i started to get interested in the MF older FD lenses b/c it looked very interesting.. but the whole aperture settings really just puzzled me and got me alittle iffy. it seems like using the older FD lenses would be much easier

Diane B wrote:

I have an EOS adapter and have tried EF lenses but the only two I really ever use now are a TS 45/2.8 and a Tamron 90/2.8 macro. Otherwise, too big, heavy and especially no way to change settings (aperture esp) without mounting on an EF body.

I have a number of FD lenses (and two Nikkor Fs and a Konica Hexanon) that I shot with from the beginning of m4/3 to fill in lens gaps, I have two FD adapters, one an early quite pricey one and the other is an under $25 one--equally good, though the inexpensive one is better for infinity focusing. I esp. like my 35/2.8, a lovely quite small lens but now left behind most of the time since I have a 45/2.8. I also like the 28/2 though a bit heavy but very nice output (but the Panny 25/1.4 is now my favorite lens). We now have a nice assortment of native m4/3 lenses but if you just enjoy shooting with older MF lenses or can't swing buying new lenses, there are many bargains out there. I'm covered from 24/2.8 through 28, 35, 50 and 135 (with two 24/2.8s and a 35/2 in addition to the small 2.8) with the FDs, Nikkors and Hexanon, 5-FDs, 2-Nikkors, 1-Konica.

Hope this helps.

Diane

baxters wrote:

wylun wrote:

Canon PowerShot G16
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads