Is the SLT dead after one generation?

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions
santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
Is the SLT dead after one generation?
Aug 29, 2012

The NEX 5R is coming out with phase detection AF on the sensor, as is the NEX 6. Assuming the AF is at least as good as on the current generation of SLT cameras, or if it will be by the time the A77/65/57 replacements come out, it would seem there is no reason for Sony to ever put a mirror in a camera again, translucent or otherwise.

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Senior MemberPosts: 8,829Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the SLT dead after one generation?
In reply to santiclaws, Aug 29, 2012

SLT is technically preparing for the third generation with A99 or whatever the FF replacement for A850/900 will be.

It would take an interesting development to match Sony A-mount lenses to Sony E-mount system as well, with the E-mount lens offering being at its infancy stage, for NEX to challenge the Alpha line (although "Alpha" also extends to NEX cameras but I will assume SLT in this case0.

And PDAF/CDAF hybrid system is just getting started and it will have to at least match the SLT performance to be taken as seriously. Interesting and a very good development nonetheless.

It is making me wonder if in the future I could get a NEX with an EVF, with a hybrid A/E mount system (even adapter would do, as long as I don't lose key features), and just add something like a RX100 (future generation of course), for back up duties. That will make for one light and compact package!

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,032Gear list
Like?

I am reasonably certain that the A99 will prove that assumption to be dead wrong.
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the SLT dead after one generation? ... its an apps revolution

what is even more interesting though is the concept of apps for sony cameras. They make it possible to configure your camera just the way you want it, and you pay as you go. No more grief about microfocus per lens registration, this is a major gripe of semi-professional camera users, that you only get this on professional models. With apps you can just download the app for that feature and pay as you go. This will totally revolutionize how cameras are featured and configured for various kinds of clients, because its so easy and you can just pay as you go and download addtional new functions and features.

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
sybersitizen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850
Like?

No, because we are in the third generation now. But check back in a year or two - we are all expected the 'death' of the SLT eventually.

cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,190Gear list
Like?
No, in short

On Chip PDAF isn't matured enough yet. It's closing a gap, but it needs refinement. The 5R indeed focuses real quick, but so does the EP1/G3/G5 too. CDAF is also getting really fast. Going to be a horsey race.

Combining both technologies is an excellent idea implemented properly, they compliment one another.

Bit longer till the trans mirror disappears.

Carl

linzdoctor7d
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
Reminds me of Minolta's Expansion Cards!
In reply to Stephan Def, Aug 29, 2012

If they implement right I'm on board! I would to customize my A77 to have true
multiple exposure and not auto HDR!

linzdoctor7d's gear list:linzdoctor7d's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +22 more
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,731
Like?

santiclaws wrote:

The NEX 5R is coming out with phase detection AF on the sensor, as is the NEX 6. Assuming the AF is at least as good as on the current generation of SLT cameras, or if it will be by the time the A77/65/57 replacements come out, it would seem there is no reason for Sony to ever put a mirror in a camera again, translucent or otherwise.

The fact it requires special lenses to work with it means no. Sony would have to write off all the A mount lenses.

Canon only have a couple of lenses that can take advantage of the 650's sensor based PDAF and so will continue to make bodies that work with their normal lens range. Sony will do the same.

No doubt someone will say they will either bring out compatible A mount lenses or in fact they will indeed kill them off or let them wither and die as they produce more E mount lenses but I can't see it myself.

If they bring out an E mount SLR type body that may signal a move similar to Oly going from 4/3 to m4/3 as they did with the OM-D but even Oly are supposed to be bringing out a new 4/3 camera which can use their "top pro" 4/3 lenses properly.

mike532
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?

I'd like to see a mirrorless camera that can effectively use the Alpha lens line up, and has an electronic viewfinder, but I don't think that's close. I can't use a display on the back of the back of a camera (I'd have to be repeatedly changing glasses).
The current nex range doesn't give this, so is of no interest.
--
mike
http://mypicks.efikim.co.uk
http://www.mikefinley.co.uk

winedarksea
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Aug 29, 2012

Karl Scharf wrote:

I am reasonably certain that the A99 will prove that assumption to be dead wrong.
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

I completely agree with you, Karl.
--
Dulaney

winedarksea
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?
In reply to mike532, Aug 29, 2012

mike532 wrote:

I'd like to see a mirrorless camera that can effectively use the Alpha lens line up, and has an electronic viewfinder, but I don't think that's close. I can't use a display on the back of the back of a camera (I'd have to be repeatedly changing glasses).
--
mike

Well, the NEX-7 shares the best electronic viewfinder with the A77, and perhaps so will the NEX-6, to be introduced on September 12. In any case, the NEX-6 will have an electronic viewfinder.

As to making proper use of the A-mount lenses, I believe that the LEA-2 adapter does a pretty good job of that with most if not all NEX cameras.
--
Dulaney

Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to winedarksea, Aug 29, 2012

winedarksea wrote:

mike532 wrote:

mike

Well, the NEX-7 shares the best electronic viewfinder with the A77, and perhaps so will the NEX-6, to be introduced on September 12. In any case, the NEX-6 will have an electronic viewfinder.

As to making proper use of the A-mount lenses, I believe that the LEA-2 adapter does a pretty good job of that with most if not all NEX cameras.
Dulaney

It's not clear that the NEX-6 EVF will be OLED, though it will certainlly have high resolution.

As for the LEA-2 adapter, it's a bit bulky/awkward for the NEX body size, as are most A-mount lenses. IMHO Sony will continue developing E-mount capabilities and if it ever obsoletes the A-mount, Sony may have to keep two lines of camera bodies, the NEX size and the "SLR-like" for larger sensors, lenses and accessories.

... Lucas
--
Always having fun with photography ...

http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +33 more
underxposed59
Contributing MemberPosts: 710
Like?

Karl Scharf wrote:

--

The A99 is rumored to have PDAF on sensor as well.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a99-has-phase-detection-pixel-on-sensor/

underxposed59
Contributing MemberPosts: 710
Like?
In reply to mike532, Aug 29, 2012

mike532 wrote:

--
mike

FF NEX is rumored for 2013

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-there-will-be-not-a-new-native-e-mount-full-frame-lens-system-the-cameras-are-e-a-mount-hybrid-and-more/

J Birn
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
Re: No, in short
In reply to cgarrard, Aug 29, 2012

Also, there are 2 things the mirrors bounce light for. One is the phase detection array (including true cross-type sensors, not just pixel points), the other is a light meter used for TTL flash photography.

In mirrorless cameras, light metering for TTL flash is done on the sensor, which slows down the flash photography process:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2011/02/ttl-flash-metering.html

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

sybersitizen
Like?
Re: No, in short
In reply to J Birn, Aug 29, 2012

J Birn wrote:

Also, there are 2 things the mirrors bounce light for. One is the phase detection array (including true cross-type sensors, not just pixel points), the other is a light meter used for TTL flash photography.

That's incorrect. Flash metering in SLTs is done off the main sensor. The mirror is for AF only.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,114Gear list
Like?

santiclaws wrote:

So far putting PDAF on the sensor hasn't come close to the traditional method. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,032Gear list
Like?

Once Nikon and Canon adopt the SLT technology, I'm sure it will live on for many generations.
--

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
sybersitizen
Like?

Karl Scharf wrote:

Once Nikon and Canon adopt the SLT technology...

... everyone will be able to photograph the flying pigs at 12fps.

Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?

Karl Scharf wrote:

Once Nikon and Canon adopt the SLT technology, I'm sure it will live on for many generations.

Hmmm..., may be that's when Sony will drop it and come up with a break-thru faster-than-anything-before combined PDAF+CDAF mirrorless technology!

... Lucas
--
Always having fun with photography ...

http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads