Camera you had the most fun with of all time?

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Camera you had the most fun with of all time?
Aug 29, 2012

This can be a video camera, P&S, manual film camera from 1960, don't care.

What camera, after looking back, do you think you had the most fun using?

For me, it was the Panasonic AF-100 micro four thirds video camera. It had focus peaking, push button focus, push button white balance, and built-in ND filters that you could cycle through on the front of the body. Plus it had this really cool overcrank/undercrank mode where you could shoot 1080p60 at 2.5x slow motion or undercrank and it would produce sped up video that looked like Keystone Cops from the turn of the last century. Plus you could do time lapse video as slow as 1 fps if I recall correctly - got some great video of my family raking up leaves last year in time lapse mode.

The wife made me sell it though as it was way too big and obnoxious (her words) and drew too much attention.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,037Gear list
Like?
Argus C3 (nt)
In reply to Shield3, Aug 29, 2012
-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,036Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera you had the most fun with of all time?

Minolta 9xi, my all time favorite camera! Have about two dozen slide trays full of 35mm slides taken mostly with that camera! 140 slides per tray.
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Aug 29, 2012

Anyone care to share why x camera was their favorite?

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?

Olympus E-PL1. So many technical and usability flaws, yet at the end of the day such a completely wonderful tool.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Nikonos III

There is nothing like shooting underwater. First you have to be a pretty good diver and then you have to be a pretty good photographer.
--
My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

JohnFrim
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?

Perhaps it is because I have only "updated" my cameras infrequently (18 years with Pentax Spotmatic; 17 years with Minolta Maxxum 9000; 9 years with Pentax Optio 555; 3 months of A57... and counting... ) that I find the latest is always the most fun. The feature sets and capabilities have moved in leaps and bounds for me, so it is really not a fair question in some ways. However, I will add that I learned the most about photography with the Spotmatic because it was my first serious camera, so maybe in many ways it was the most useful to me because the learning curve was steepest with that camera.

Many of the features on modern cameras provide technological assist to what I had to do manually in the past (focus, exposure), so that makes life easier in some ways, but it also makes it more challenging to figure out, or even predict, what some of the automated functions are doing at certain times. But even that provides fun.

The absolute biggest enjoyment factor for me was the change from film to digital. The cost of experimenting is virtually zero, and the value of instant feedback is almost immeasurable. But then I don't have that week of anticipation of getting my slides or prints back from the camera store, and that was also fun.

JF

JohnFrim's gear list:JohnFrim's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnFrim, Aug 29, 2012

Fun???? Well , there is a big difference in fun at 20 years of age and fun at 68 years of age. When I was 20 and in College, I had one of the first Polaroid land cameras, I still have it... Just owning this camera in 1963 and in college made you an Icon and invited to every frat party on campus... needless to say That camera was alot of fun... It Saw alot more action from very willing sorority sisters back then.....

Today, I get all happy in my pants just turning on my A77 sad commentary huh?
--
Bill aka EO

Adrian Harris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,997Gear list
Like?
most fun with A77 ...

My Sony A77 - and it is possibly the most under-rated camera of all time. It's like having a secret weapon. However difficult the circumstances it always seems to bring home the goods - Big Time!

-- hide signature --
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Aug 29, 2012

Karl Scharf wrote:

Minolta 9xi, my all time favorite camera! Have about two dozen slide trays full of 35mm slides taken mostly with that camera! 140 slides per tray.
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

The ergonomics of the Minolta 9xi were impeccable!! It felt great in the hand just like a glove, specially with the power winder attached. The metering worked flawlessly under all lighting conditions, enabling me to take perfectly exposed slides consistently. Waiting for a box or two of slides to arrive in the mail via prepaid mailers created a sense of anticipation that is missing today in the age of instant gratification.

However, I must admit, my Sony A77 is slowly replacing the 9xi in the category of " the best and most fun camera" I have ever owned. The more I learn how to properly use it, the more I like it. The array of new and unique features is just simply awesome.
--
Karl

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
clignus
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?

A number of years ago I had several different 35mm film cameras. Some I still have including a Nikon Photomic FTN. However, the most interesting/fun camera that I had and still have is the Exakta VX IIB. Like the Nikon it has an interchangeable viewfinder/prism. Various iterations of the viewfinder and focus screen were available, including a waist level finder. It has two sets of shutter speed dials allowing multiple minute exposures which I never saw available on other camera bodies of that time. The most unique feature is a built-in knife for cutting the film roll with the back still closed. This allowed you to cut off and process a part of a roll of film if needed. The kit lens was a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f2.8 50mm lens.

clignus's gear list:clignus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony SLT-A77
Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?
Leica M2

That was from 1970 thru 1972, plus a Leica 90mm F2 Summicron, a Leica 50mm F2 Summicron and a Leica Electronic Photometer.

... Lucas
--
Always having fun with photography ...

http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 +36 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,130
Like?
Most fun cameras

Had to think about that for a few minutes ... I had Maxxum 7 & 9 film bodies, each very satisfying in its own way (9 especially, due to its build and the sound of the shutter). And a few manual focus SLRs. But the most fun cameras I've used were a couple of 70's era compact rangefinders (Ricoh 500 and Minolta HiMatic 7sII) and my Rolleiflex TLR. This despite the fact that I owned them & used them while my main camera was an autofocus (Minolta Maxxum) SLR. Since digital, the Sony F717 has been pretty fun and the various DSLRs I've owned have been perfectly competent (I think in terms of "fun" the Canon A610 with its articulating viewfinder might have won). My NEX-5 is fun sometimes, but equally aggravating which renders it neutral.

So those couple of classic manual/mechanical cameras win out for most fun. Interestingly, they weren't cameras that could "do it all" ... maybe this points the way to what I should consider for my next digital camera.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
mrtaufik
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, Aug 30, 2012

I got lot of awards in some local forums with my KM D7 and Minolta 17-35 f:2.8-4 I haven't got any with my current rig: Sony A77 and Sony 16-50 f:2.8

Allan Crowson
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
In reply to Promit, Aug 30, 2012

+1

An amazingly "use me!" camera.

Promit wrote:

Olympus E-PL1. So many technical and usability flaws, yet at the end of the day such a completely wonderful tool.

-- hide signature --

Allan Crowson

Linzthom
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

Minolta x700. Loved that camera to bits. Now my a580 is right up there

Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,185Gear list
Like?
a850 ... and the Minox.

Only reason I took up photography was because of the advantages of FF and the pleasure of the best OVF ever made.

Before that, the Minox Spy Camera. Not much for IQ, but tops in fun.
http://www.pimall.com/nais/pivintage/minox.html

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,130
Like?
In reply to EvilOne, Aug 30, 2012

EvilOne wrote:

Today, I get all happy in my pants just turning on my A77

Must be the SSS. Enjoy

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,117
Like?
Minolta SRT 101

My first SLT. TTL Metering was a new feature then which really worked nicely for experimenting with everything from tele converters to bellows macro shooting. Really learned a lot about photography with it and would have kept using it until digital took over except eyesight and it's focusing screen just made autofocus and the move the the Minolta 7000i very attractive. Also a very nice camera until the KM5d came along.

Now the most fun is the Sony A700. Always the latest I own is really the most fun.
--
Dave

1DanC
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dennis, Aug 30, 2012

My list is

Minolta XD5, 9000, 9xi, A700 and now the A77. I've only just started with the A77 and I am not yet sure whether it is going to be as much fun as the A700 was. I still haven't come to a personal landing on Image Quality, but I am still at less than 500 shots.

I loved my 9xi, I relied on it to photograph several weddings, it was the ducks guts, had great features, focus and metering. Then i leapt into the digital world and had almost as much fun with the A700. Why almost as much fun? Because I still feel that the greatest medium of all for photography is film. When you took a photo you needed to be sure it was right. That level of tension that you got as you went through your photos the morning after just doesn't exist any more.

The digital world has taken that sense of achievement away from the user. I don't feel as proud of an image that I captured in digital as one I had captured in film.

So for me it was the 9xi.

Dan C

1DanC's gear list:1DanC's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads