Ultimatum to Nikon - D400 or not!

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions
Iamdaniel123
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
Ultimatum to Nikon - D400 or not!
Aug 29, 2012

We the consumers are entitled to know what Nikons plans are for Dx and when and if there will be a D400. Many of us are professionals and we need to plan ahead.

it has been 5 years since this line has been updated and we still have no clue!

Nikon, start respecting your consumers who keep you in business, stop looking for every possible way to make more money and let us know already, is the D400 a dream or reality.

Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Re: Ultimatum to Nikon - D400 or not!
In reply to Iamdaniel123, Aug 29, 2012

Yup, that's got them quaking and prompted a high level meeting...

Thing is, they know that all canon has done is release a firmware update so there's not exactly any pressure for them to move. Few are going to change to the other alternatives, so Nikon don't need to rush. They're no doubt finding the switch to FX is working rather nicely right now, including lots of healthy, expensive, profitable lens sales.

I'm with you on wanting to know their intentions, but I'm not holding my breath. More than likely, I'll buy a cheap 2nd hand, low use d300 from someone who couldn't resist the lure of all those fx pixels.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk or http://www.jlwp.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?

Iamdaniel123 wrote:

............. it has been 5 years since this line has been updated and we still have no clue!..................... already, is the D400 a dream or reality..........

Dream - take a hint.

How many revisions to others in the DX lineup? Two entry levels, a mid level, and a upper level. Three (4 if you count the 3s) additions to the FX lineup with a 4th thought to be coming soon.

Hint, niche market not worth pursuing.

Canon announced a replacement for the 7D?

Huge hint, niche market not worth pursuing.

Maybe they'll tweak the D7K series with speed & some stuff but I'd say it's quite apparent - silence speaks volumes.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,693
Like?
OK, you are frustrated, but...

...why are you saying this here? Contact Nikon, they don't care about forum chatters.

Iamdaniel123 wrote:

We the consumers are entitled to know what Nikons plans are for Dx and when and if there will be a D400. Many of us are professionals and we need to plan ahead.

So, what is preventing you from planning ahead?

Actually that's wrong. The D300s is only three years old.

Nikon, start respecting your consumers who keep you in business, stop looking for every possible way to make more money and let us know already, is the D400 a dream or reality.

So, you expect some dude from Nikon Japan to tremble and answer you immediately wit a clear answer...

Making money is what makes businesses go around. Making money makes it possible for Nikon to release new models but don't expect them to give you any promises or to start shivering because YOU demand they respect you, a totally anonymous Internet forum guy.

I am sorry, but I have difficulties to take such threads seriously and so is Nikon if any of their folks are reading this.

Silent Nan
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?

Iamdaniel123 wrote:

Where is the ultimatum?

I thought an ultimatum would be like:
"if you don't announce a DX camera by the time I finish posting,
I'm going to buy another brand"

I would think if you are a professional, you need to make money with
gear that is currently available, regardless of what may or may not be
ever announced.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
Nikon will stay with the FUD...

Their current goal is to drive FX from less than 10% of DSLR sales to over 30%. In keeping with this, I'll be surprised to see another DX update this year.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,878Gear list
Like?

Iamdaniel123 wrote:

The best you can do is to register your equipment on Nikon's support site, and then ask the question. Hopefully someone doing some metrics will see your request.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Hauer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?

I totally agree that NIKON should offer more transparency to it's customers. I'm also getting rather fed-up and disgusted by current NIKON practise.

Come on NIKON surely you can do better!

Lift that damn veil of silence and inform us if we can expect a dedicated DX upgrade to our d300 / D300s...

Cheers - Herman

Hauer's gear list:Hauer's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: Nikon will stay with the FUD...
In reply to JimPearce, Aug 29, 2012

JimPearce wrote:

Their current goal is to drive FX from less than 10% of DSLR sales to over 30%. In keeping with this, I'll be surprised to see another DX update this year.

They're doing a darn good job at driving DX sales DOWN. There are a large set of DX owners waiting for a compelling upgrade that are buying nothing instead. That isn't helping Nikon's bottom line.

Curiously, Nikon could get FX sales to 30% by just killing all DX cameras. It wouldn't help the total sales number, but it would get FX sales to be a larger percentage of their smaller overall sales. So hopefully that isn't the only thing they're focusing on because they need to grow the overall number too which can't be done without compelling DX cameras too.
--
John
Gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com
Popular: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/popular
Portfolio: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/portfolio

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358
Like?
In reply to n057, Aug 29, 2012

n057 wrote:

The best you can do is to register your equipment on Nikon's support site, and then ask the question. Hopefully someone doing some metrics will see your request.

JC

You know that they will NOT ANSWER.

They never talk about upcoming products (with reason)

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358
Like?
Probably NOT!!!!

DX will be for consumer cams. They think that the D7000 or its successor (D7100) will be just enough.

Consumer line is DX Professional line is FX.

The new D400 will be the D600 (the Dx crop will be about 11Mpixel anyway)

I think....

jano

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,676Gear list
Like?
lol...Nikon must be laughing while counting the money. nt
In reply to rockjano, Aug 29, 2012
-- hide signature --

nt

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Geomaticsman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462Gear list
Like?
No worries Jim...
In reply to JimPearce, Aug 29, 2012

Nikon will ensure you poor DX shooting birders have some options...just think D600+800VR! LOL

Or you could always try the "light side". The supertele selection here is awesome...and cameras aren't all that bad either. The 1DMK IV may be the last, best birding camera every made!
--

Gary -- Some Nikon & Canon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
http://www.pbase.com/garyirwin
http://photographersonlinemagazine.blogspot.com

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
ponger
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

Iamdaniel123 wrote:

Entitled eh? You don't speak for me pal!

JimPearce
Like?
Well Gary...
In reply to Geomaticsman, Aug 30, 2012

I can't disagree - except for a slight reach disadvantage it already does everthing I would expect from a D400 - 10 fps and an extra stop of DR. Too bad Canon seems to have abandoned the 1.3x crop.
--
Jim

Nikon D7100
JimPearce
Like?
The thing is John...
In reply to jfriend00, Aug 30, 2012

I think they're already selling all of the DX cameras they can make in Thailand and now they're adding the D600 there too. I don't like what Nikon is doing any more than you do, but there it is.
--
Jim

Nikon D7100
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,676Gear list
Like?
So...if I have to get the D600, then
In reply to JimPearce, Aug 30, 2012

then how good ...or not...is the crop mode ? I want to use the 24-120 F4 and the 70-300 that I have now...knowing my 17-50 won't fit.

But 24 wide...fine. How much IQ do u lose by using the crop mode, as it isn't really designed for that.

Who has experience with such ?? thx.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: The thing is John...
In reply to JimPearce, Aug 30, 2012

JimPearce wrote:

I think they're already selling all of the DX cameras they can make in Thailand and now they're adding the D600 there too. I don't like what Nikon is doing any more than you do, but there it is.

Well, certainly if Nikon doesn't want to sell any more DX cameras or can't make any more DX cameras, then there's no reason to introduce a new one. But, I rather doubt that's really the case. DX still makes a lot of money and could make a lot more if they introduce the right cameras.

On the other hand, one could argue that if they're volume-constrained in DX manufacturing, they should introduce higher margin cameras (which the D400 would be) to make more money out of a given volume.
--
John
Gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com
Popular: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/popular
Portfolio: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/portfolio

JimPearce
Like?
Umm...better to buy the D7000.
In reply to jonrobertp, Aug 30, 2012

Same autofocus system, same body, much better DX resolution, similar DR in DX, better viewfinder in DX, lower price. Unless something unexpected happens with the D600 - higher fps with grip or major improvements in the autofocus system - there is no sense to the D600 for shooting in DX mode. At least with the D800 you get much the same resolution and better autofocus.
--
Jim

Nikon D7100
JimPearce
Like?
Yup, and I think they might...
In reply to jfriend00, Aug 30, 2012

If there's a D400 I expect it to come from Sendai and next year. I just hope I have a new camera for warbler season because that is where I'd get the most benefit from a higher ISO.
--
Jim

Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads