What the hell did I just buy? Sigma 100-500?

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions
bugglz
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
What the hell did I just buy? Sigma 100-500?
Aug 29, 2012

I just purchased a Sigma 100-500 f/5.6-8 lens off of KEH for around $125 while looking for the 170-500. I was wondering if anybody here has even heard of this lens. Is there any information at all about it? I can't find anything anywhere..

I know KEH has a good return policy, so I decided to order this lens and try it out, and if it stinks, I'll return it. It intrigued me though, so I went ahead and purchased it. It should arrive in a couple days, and I'll take some pictures and hopefully maybe put together some sort of review or verdict for everybody.

There was no picture on KEH, and I have no idea what it looks like or what the specifications are other than it's 100-500 and f/5.6-8.

This should be interesting.

Fresch
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
Re: What the hell did I just buy? Sigma 100-500?
In reply to bugglz, Aug 29, 2012

Look up Vivitar series 1, made by Siggy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bugglz
Like?
In reply to Fresch, Aug 29, 2012

It's not the same lens. The Vivitar takes a 67mm filter, and this lens takes a 72.

bugglz
Like?
In reply to Fresch, Aug 31, 2012

So the box came in today.

And inside was another box. Holy crap. What did I buy?

Then I opened the box.

And the rest of the pictures are kind of self explanatory.

I had no idea Sigma even MADE a 100-500mm lens, and surely it would just be a rebrand, if anything. But I'm impressed so far. I haven't had a chance to take some test pictures yet, but tomorrow I'll see what I can do. I still can't find any information about this lens on Google though..

So yep!

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,323Gear list
Like?
In reply to bugglz, Aug 31, 2012

I would be interested in seeing some test shots done with it.
--
lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
bugglz
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Aug 31, 2012

Well, I did a few of those. But they're nothing but test shots, so don't judge me. D:

Overall, I'm more than impressed. I'm actually surprised, too. The lens seemed to perform substantially better at the long end than it did at the short end. Even wide open at 500mm I got sharp images with barely any CA. At 100mm though, plenty of RG CA. Stopping down helped a bunch. All these photos are 100% or 100% crops.

Wide open (if you can call f/8 wide open) at 500mm

Corner of 100mm wide open (f/5.6)

Corner 100mm stopped down to f/9.5

Corner 500mm wide open

A wall, 100mm open

Same wall, 500mm open

bugglz
Like?
In reply to bugglz, Sep 2, 2012

Sorry for spamming up my own thread, but I figured I'd show one test picture I really like.

I took this picture from my D3100 and turned up the contrast a bit in Photoshop, and here's the result:

happysnapper64
Like?

Nice. What is it?? hehehe
--
lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
bugglz
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Sep 2, 2012

The moon

happysnapper64
Like?

Sorry, never been there. Big isn't it?? lol
--
lee uk.

bugglz
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Sep 2, 2012

Very big. I do like this lens.

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Time to get or use your monopod

If you have a monopod sitting gathering dust in your closet, time to get it out and clean it up. The lens you got, which looks like it will be a hoot to learn, is old school, I have a Tamron 200 - 400 f5.6 (no longer in production) that most people don't know exists and I definitely need to use a monopod with it to get those sharp images.

What I have said above is even more true if you aren't shooting with a full frame camera. I know you'll ignore this advise and shoot hand held but when you realize defeat, head to the trust old monopod.

Also shoot using really fast speeds, like 1/1000 or faster, don't hesitate to bump up the ISO to get these speeds.

I own the Canon 75 - 300 IS lens, the first lens Canon released with IS. Everyone and their dog told me this lens was a dud. I shot deer at slower speeds and agreed, the images were crap. I then experimented and up my shutter speed considerably and turned of IS, the following was my result shot through a family room window into my back yard:

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/3200 sec
Aperture: 8.0
Focal Length: 300mm

You can see the faster shutter speed sharpened up the image and I was quite happy with it.
--
"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

bugglz
Like?
Re: Time to get or use your monopod
In reply to rsn48, Sep 2, 2012

Thanks a lot! I already went and bought a monopod because I tried handheld. Couldn't get a sharp picture even at 1/640 second. Monopods help me get the shutter down to even 1/120 with a sharp picture.

It is old school, and I'm excited to get out and try some wildlife shots. I don't know much technique for that style though..

Miike Dougherty
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Time to get or use your monopod

The sharpness and color rendition in the image of the deer looks great. I use a lot of larger lenses and I would highly recommend you use a tripod...always. If you had intended to buy a lens without image stabilization and autofocus, you got a great deal on perhaps what could be a collectible lens.

Miike Dougherty's gear list:Miike Dougherty's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a77 II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads