DR's RX100 review is up!

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,821
Like?
DR's RX100 review is up!
Aug 28, 2012
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Garcia NYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?
Re: DR's RX100 review is up!
In reply to fotophool, Aug 28, 2012

Oh well, I like Silver : ) anyhow and (RX100) 78 is better than (GX1)76. I am surprised by the silver the RX does so much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, Aug 28, 2012

For a smaller sensor camera the Olympus XZ-1 holds it own in the lower ISO image IQ tests.

ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?

I downloaded a few of the RAW shows vs. the G1X, as I'm mulling over buying one of these..... here are my observations:

1) The Default sharpening on the G1x is CRANKED..... I think it's loaded to MAX when opened in DPP. And you can see the moire / artifacts. My point is that you cannot really sharpen the G1X images much at all as they are 'pre-sharpened' (maybe even too much)

2) At low ISO (80 vs. 100), if you sharpen the RX100 shot, it's very even with the RX100 in resolution... you get similar sharpness with less moire/artifacts

3) They stay pretty even until ISO 400 where you see a slight difference and then very pronounced by ISO1600

4) I think the RX100 is about 1 1/3 stops better at high ISO if you downsize the RX100 image to the Resolution of the G1x. In other words, at full wide (f/1.8 vs. f/2.8) they would be equal as the RX100 has a 1 1/3 stop advantage..., but at all other focal lengths where the RX100 only has a 2/3 stop brighter aperture, the RX100 would then have a 2/3 stop advantage at high ISO after accounting for the lens brightness difference.

In other words, not that big a deal!! : ) Of course, let's not talk about APS-C with primes or they super awesome low light performance of the Fuji X100 ; )

+++

My conclusion is that the RX100 holds it own quite well for a smaller sensor and get's 'close enough' to the G1X in overall IQ and high ISO performance.

I will keep looking at the samples and others, but this tell me that I can use the RX100 up to 1600 with little to worry about (assuming PP with NR) and even 3200 in spots.

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
trale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053
Like?
Interesting points in this review -

1) It has higher lens resolution than the G1X! (2600 lph vs 2400 l/ph)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/9
vs
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x/11

2) It has about the same Dynamic Range as the G1X, but shifted. RX100 has more DR in the highlights, while G1X has more DR in the shadows
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/11

3) Where is the "speed and autofocus" section? This is probably the greatest performance separator between the RX100 and other cameras in its class (including the G1X)

4) Two of the major "cons" in the conclusion can be easily overcome with 3rd party accessories - lack of filter, and the charging issue. If Richard's grip was noted in the review, these other essential accessories should be acknowledged as well.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,996Gear list
Like?

A fair review and corresponds with my experience after a week with my RX100. The handling complaints are a little over stated because it didn't take me long to get used to the camera after some initial frustration compared to the A55/65 I usually use. Their assessment of the iso usability is exactly what I thought.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,250Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting points in this review -
In reply to trale, Aug 28, 2012

Speed & autofocus...yes, it should be mentioned too. Hi iso the G1X is noticably better, but with the resolution and all the rest, good review..glad I have it.

trale wrote:

vs

2) It has about the same Dynamic Range as the G1X, but shifted. RX100 has more DR in the highlights, while G1X has more DR in the shadows
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/11

3) Where is the "speed and autofocus" section? This is probably the greatest performance separator between the RX100 and other cameras in its class (including the G1X)

4) Two of the major "cons" in the conclusion can be easily overcome with 3rd party accessories - lack of filter, and the charging issue. If Richard's grip was noted in the review, these other essential accessories should be acknowledged as well.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,142Gear list
Like?
Beware!!!

Beware, those guys from dpreview do not like the review from Imaging Resources. They literally removed the link I posted below, which is ludicrous.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx100/sony-rx100A.HTM

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,320Gear list
Like?
Re: Beware!!!
In reply to moimoi, Aug 28, 2012

To be honest I was expecting nothing short of gold rating. DPR's silver reminds me some controversial calls/judges during the London 2012 Olympic games.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 823
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Aug 28, 2012

I always like looking at the thread in the shadow box in the comparison tool. I found it interesting in RAW at ISO 1600, while the GX1 has considerably less noise, the G1X also has no detail (a mush of color, you don't see individual threads on the spools). At least the RX100 noise follows the threads and it seems possible the detail can be resurrected in PP.

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,320Gear list
Like?
RX100 gets silver, who deserve gold?

Can anyone name a premium compact (pocket or not) that has combination of IQ, Resolution, DR, ISO, AF speed/accuracy that deserve a gold medal?

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
moimoi
Like?
Re: Beware!!!
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Aug 28, 2012

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

To be honest I was expecting nothing short of gold rating. DPR's silver reminds me some controversial calls/judges during the London 2012 Olympic games.

Yeah, as far as I am concerned, I am done with dpreview when it comes to read their reviews. (Too biased and blind enough to admit the D800/5DIII are far to be flawless, and straight gold awards...)

Dpreview has lost its appeal, at least to me.

moimoi
Like?
Re: RX100 gets silver, who deserve gold?

[mode sarcasm: ON] The Canikon RX100, designed by Sony but manufactured and sold under the Canikon brand. [mode sarcasm: OFF]

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,534
Like?
In reply to trale, Aug 28, 2012

trale wrote:

vs

Keep in mind that they aren't really measuring dynamic range of the RAW data but rather that of tonal curves applied to the jpegs. The usable DR of the RX100 is larger, mainly due to the pattern noise (specifically vertical banding) in shadows from the G1X.

Cheng Bao
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
Re: RX100 gets silver, who deserve gold?

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Can anyone name a premium compact (pocket or not) that has combination of IQ, Resolution, DR, ISO, AF speed/accuracy that deserve a gold medal?

Apparently, dpr think nokia 808, olympus xz-1, canon g12 deserved gold medals,
oh, and ixus400HS

Rockchan
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Aug 29, 2012

xz-1 really deserves a gold medal 1.5 years ago (or 2 years ago?). Just look at the comparison in RX100 review. xz-1 perform really well at low ISO. Even at high ISO if we can take the advantage of its fast lens, xz-1 in ISO800 is not really worse than RX100 in ISO1600.

John McCormack wrote:

For a smaller sensor camera the Olympus XZ-1 holds it own in the lower ISO image IQ tests.

Andi Buchner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?
dpr’s HiISO tests make no sense
In reply to fotophool, Aug 29, 2012

When do you use HiISO values generally? Right: under low light conditions. So these HiISO shots from dpreview taken at full studio lighting do not make any sense - except telling you the value of HiISO when you don’t need it

I know so many cameras and the difference appears in low light conditions when taking night shots, inside buildings, museums, concerts etc.

Andi Buchner's gear list:Andi Buchner's gear list
Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS
travelshots_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to fotophool, Aug 29, 2012

I don't agree with Dpreview's complaints about the clickless front wheel. This is perfect for focus and zoom operation. If you assign other functions to the front wheel, you still have the display to control the values. If you want to have clicks, simply use the back wheel. I am very satisfied (in practice) with Sony's design decision and would hate if Sony would have built the camera the way Dpreview obviously likes.

According display in sunlight: Did you turn the display to sunny mode (not automatic)? In sunny mode the display is much brighter and I haven't encountered any situation when I could not use the display (in opposite to previous compacts I have had).

By the way: If there is any Sony camera (including DSLRs and SLTs) that deservs a gold medal, it is RX100.

travelshots_dpr's gear list:travelshots_dpr's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +15 more
tbcass
Like?
Re: dpr’s HiISO tests make no sense
In reply to Andi Buchner, Aug 29, 2012

Andi Buchner wrote:

When do you use HiISO values generally? Right: under low light conditions. So these HiISO shots from dpreview taken at full studio lighting do not make any sense - except telling you the value of HiISO when you don’t need it

That's not necessarily true. High iso is very useful for keeping the shutter speed up for moving targets.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
tbcass
Like?
In reply to travelshots_dpr, Aug 29, 2012

travelshots_dpr wrote:

I don't agree with Dpreview's complaints about the clickless front wheel. This is perfect for focus and zoom operation. If you assign other functions to the front wheel, you still have the display to control the values. If you want to have clicks, simply use the back wheel. I am very satisfied (in practice) with Sony's design decision and would hate if Sony would have built the camera the way Dpreview obviously likes.

I agree 100%. It's a no win situation. If the wheel had clicks would RB have complained that is made zooming and manual focus more difficult? For me the lack of click stops is no problem at all.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads