Sharpest Zoom Lens?

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
Sharpest Zoom Lens?
Aug 28, 2012

What is the sharpest zoom lens for a Nikon DSLR? (D7000 for example)

I am not one to carry a prime lens with me all the time, I only take it out at night and during low light situations....but I am looking for a zoom lens that can me similar image quality and sharpness like the primes.

I keep hearing the 18-105 and the 16-85. Is this correct?

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,430Gear list
Like?
Re: Sharpest Zoom Lens?
In reply to kcamacho11, Aug 28, 2012

The only zoom that i would consider replacing primes are the holy trinity f2.8 zooms. The lenses you mention are basically kit lenses.

kcamacho11 wrote:

I am not one to carry a prime lens with me all the time, I only take it out at night and during low light situations....but I am looking for a zoom lens that can me similar image quality and sharpness like the primes.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,892Gear list
Like?

kcamacho11 wrote:

IMO the 17-55/2.8 or the 24-70/2.8 but this is my own opinion which is not to be taken as gospel....... LOL

Not IMO if that means anything.

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer

Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +20 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,638Gear list
Like?

The question is a little naive IMO. You only care about sharpness? No care about max aperture, bokeh, sharp at wide end, sharp at long end, distortion, CA, focus speed etc., etc.?

The 16~85 is sharp generally speaking but it won't compete with a decent prime. The f2.8 zooms are the only ones that will come close but with caveats. All have some compromises. One of the fast 3rd party zooms might be a good choice depending on what you need and what your budget is.

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?

Sharp? At what aperture(s) what focal lengths?

Neither the 18-105 or the 16-85 are anywhere near the "sharpest" zoom lens. However, at f/8 in good light virtually any modern zoom lens is sharp.

Moreover, apparent sharpness is often more a result of solid technique than equipment.

kcamacho11 wrote:

-- hide signature --

-Dan Rode
http://rodephoto.com

Art is not real. Art is an artifice, an invention, the product of the imagination and the creativity of the artist. In short, expecting art to faithfully duplicate reality is a misconception, a misunderstanding of the very purpose of art. - Alain Briot

GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?

It's a numbers game. Try websites like DxOMark or Phtozone.de and compare the sharpness numbers. Generally, the "Gold Ring" editions (trinity zooms) are their better ones, but you pay for those too.

Mack

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,892Gear list
Like?

Sharpness depends on two things. #! is cost. You get what you pay for. The 18-105 is relatively inexpensive and will offer good value not ultimate sharpness. The holy trinity are very expensive but not as expensive as a 600mm f 4. If you have an unlimited budget, the world is your oyster. #2 is a combination: your expectations along with your tenacity of perception (if that is a phrase). What I mean is: How much do you need your images to be sharp and how much do you need to enlarge your photos and maintain detail? How much will you pixel peep and compare your shots to those with better gear? How often will you upgrade? Just now or again when the kit is insufficient? What 'sharp like a prime' means to you will be different than what it means to me (almost nothing since I shoot with zooms).

My guess is there is a level of acceptable sharpness that you will be happy with--not ultimate sharpness. Get the best lens that you can afford at this time that will meet your needs now and for the next while. Upgrade when you are ready. The 18-105 is built for this situation, imo (caveat--I have never owned one).

Larry
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?

As others have stated, the Nikon trinity will give you the best overall combination of zoom attributes (i.e. not just sharpness, but color rendition, control of CA, contrast, ruggedness, etc.)

You'll see people on here championing other zooms, and there may be specific focal lengths or apertures where other zooms may outperform the trinity. But for overall combination of attributes, go for the trinity.

If you can't afford, or don't want to carry the weight, all three, then work out which focal lengths you most shoot in, and invest in that lens.

By the way, the Nikon 18-105 is a very good zoom lens for the price, though it's slow.

kcamacho11 wrote:

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377
Like?
The gold ring trinity

Back a long time ago, the three zoom kit that you'd find in almost every travel photographer's bag was the 17-35AFS, 28-70AFS, and 80-200AFS. Some of the best photographers (in my opinion) would drop the middle lens. Those three lenses were also well matched in the look of images shot with them - if you shot film, you didn't get variations in how things looked in color, contrast, or indefinable character simply because you switched lenses. That's how Nikon engineered them.

The trinity now is 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200VR. Sharp, common character to images, common build, and they feel similar in some abstract user experience kind of way.

The only issue with that trinity is that it's hard to learn to use a 14mm focal length really effectively. For a lot of people, that 17-35 was already too wide.

As to sharpness, or perhaps better called resolution, or acuity, or MTF - the trinity outperforms many Nikon primes at some focal lengths, matches them at others.

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,106
Like?

Nope - you're gonna have to move into the expensive pro zooms to get the really good image quality. Think the 70-200/2.8 VR-II in the close to moderate distance ranges, the 14-24 around 16-20mm, and the 24-70 around 35mm if you want the best in zooms. This isn't to say the 16-85 and all are bad by any means - they are totally usable, decent lenses. But if you want to know which ones are the sharpest and best, from an absolute perspective, it ain't them.

-m

ffnikclif
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
In reply to anotherMike, Aug 28, 2012

I vote for the 70/200 VRII. However, with good shot selection & good technique all will do the job. How many great pictures have we all seen from photographers with lesser equipment using sound techniques?

Fred

ffnikclif's gear list:ffnikclif's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +15 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Aug 28, 2012

+1

There is much, much more to lens choice than sharpness.

Before the OP begins selecting lenses they may benefit from more knowledge on the subject, but when I first started that was my primary criteria, too.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Aug 29, 2012

17-55
16-85VR
18-105VR
All excellent on a D7000.

All outresolve the D7000 a lot of the time. You cannot have more resolution than 4928X3264 pixels under any circumstances.

mario7
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Aug 29, 2012

+1 and I do own one!

Brev00 wrote:

Sharpness depends on two things. #! is cost. You get what you pay for. The 18-105 is relatively inexpensive and will offer good value not ultimate sharpness. The holy trinity are very expensive but not as expensive as a 600mm f 4. If you have an unlimited budget, the world is your oyster. #2 is a combination: your expectations along with your tenacity of perception (if that is a phrase). What I mean is: How much do you need your images to be sharp and how much do you need to enlarge your photos and maintain detail? How much will you pixel peep and compare your shots to those with better gear? How often will you upgrade? Just now or again when the kit is insufficient? What 'sharp like a prime' means to you will be different than what it means to me (almost nothing since I shoot with zooms).

My guess is there is a level of acceptable sharpness that you will be happy with--not ultimate sharpness. Get the best lens that you can afford at this time that will meet your needs now and for the next while. Upgrade when you are ready. The 18-105 is built for this situation, imo (caveat--I have never owned one).

Larry
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

mario7's gear list:mario7's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Aug 29, 2012

If you buy all the recommended lens, you won't have an inferiority complex. Hey, jus sayin...

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +3 more
bossa
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Aug 30, 2012

The Sigma 70-200 OS is really nice on APS-C but not so great at the edges on FF. I would recommend that lens if you aren't going to move to Full Frame anytime in the near future. The Tokina 50-135 is based on the Pentax DA*50-135 and while it doesn't have the WR, SDM and coatings of the Pentax it should be very nice optically. My DA*50-135 is a great lens on my K-5 as is my 70-200 VR II on my D800E.

bossa's gear list:bossa's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon D800E Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 +12 more
azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,140
Like?
Re: The gold ring trinity
In reply to Ednaz, Aug 30, 2012

Ednaz wrote:

Back a long time ago, the three zoom kit that you'd find in almost every travel photographer's bag was the 17-35AFS, 28-70AFS, and 80-200AFS. Some of the best photographers (in my opinion) would drop the middle lens. Those three lenses were also well matched in the look of images shot with them - if you shot film, you didn't get variations in how things looked in color, contrast, or indefinable character simply because you switched lenses. That's how Nikon engineered them.

The trinity now is 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200VR. Sharp, common character to images, common build, and they feel similar in some abstract user experience kind of way.

The only issue with that trinity is that it's hard to learn to use a 14mm focal length really effectively. For a lot of people, that 17-35 was already too wide.

As to sharpness, or perhaps better called resolution, or acuity, or MTF - the trinity outperforms many Nikon primes at some focal lengths, matches them at others.

Agree. These are the three best zooms, and they do outperform some primes.
--
JohnE

Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,892Gear list
Like?
Re: The gold ring trinity
In reply to Ednaz, Aug 30, 2012

Ednaz wrote:

The trinity now is 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200VR.

My Trinity is 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 VR and I am very happy.

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer

Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +20 more
bluenoser23
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032Gear list
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Aug 31, 2012

Hello.

While I do have the 17-55 2.8, the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 VRII to put on my D7000 and D700, I still think my little 18-105 does a nice job!

Taken at 105mm, f/5.6 with my wee-little D40 and 18-105

-- hide signature --

James

bluenoser23's gear list:bluenoser23's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot A95 Nikon D7000 +13 more
Mundy dot ca
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Aug 31, 2012

14-24/2.8
24-70/2.8
70-200/2.8

These will last you a lifetime.
Stay away from DX lenses.

-- hide signature --