Cheesycam filter holder set

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Cheesycam filter holder set
Aug 27, 2012

I have been curious about his filter holder kit that is in process of being fabricated.

http://cheesycam.com/examples-with-cpl-filter-on-rx100/

One way it differs from the available Jens Faerber kit and the not yet available Lensmate kit is that the filters themselves attach to a receiver base unit via magnets, as opposed to being screwed in.

I am wondering if magnets can interact badly with the electronics within the camera (and if I am unclear on the concept, please go easy!).
--
Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
nathanhw
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Cheesycam filter holder set
In reply to Liz Z., Aug 27, 2012

Liz Z. wrote:

I have been curious about his filter holder kit that is in process of being fabricated.

One way it differs from the available Jens Faerber kit and the not yet available Lensmate kit is that the filters themselves attach to a receiver base unit via magnets, as opposed to being screwed in.

I am wondering if magnets can interact badly with the electronics within the camera (and if I am unclear on the concept, please go easy!).
--
Liz

Magnets shouldn't matter to the camera.

However, I am inclined to go with a solution that has standard industry filter threads, which open up possibilities for filters that may be more flexible.

That said, I think the least bulky solution that gets me in with a good circular polarizer that is easy to adjust quickly and accurately on the fly will likely be what I 'settle' for, as a balance between flexibility and keeping the camera pocketable.

nathanhw's gear list:nathanhw's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to nathanhw, Aug 27, 2012

Thanks Nathan. So are you more inclined towards Jens Faerber's kit, which has setups for either 52mm or 43mm filters, or the Lensmate kit, which will take 49mm ones?

nathanhw wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

--
Liz

However, I am inclined to go with a solution that has standard industry filter threads, which open up possibilities for filters that may be more flexible.

That said, I think the least bulky solution that gets me in with a good circular polarizer that is easy to adjust quickly and accurately on the fly will likely be what I 'settle' for, as a balance between flexibility and keeping the camera pocketable.

-- hide signature --

Liz

islandphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

Liz, Nat,

My rx100 does not have the raised ring on the front of the inner barrel, as shown in the video. Therefore, it wouldn't have that click-in self-centering action or anyway to keep the filter centered, once the lens is extended. Also, as strong as the magnet is, I would still be concerned about it coming off when using either a wrist strap, neck strap or a belt pouch. I have Jen Faber's 52mm model on it's way from Germany. I will let you know how it works out. His design could have been modeled around the same front area as Cheesycam.

I purchased mine 2 weeks ago from Adorama. The S/N is 3511318, if this helps identify when it was produced.

Glenn

islandphotos's gear list:islandphotos's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
ash uk
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
In reply to islandphotos, Aug 27, 2012

The raised ring you saw in the video is part of the Cheesycam system and is stuck in position. The filters then align with the ring and are held by magnetism in the filter.

Dave

ash uk's gear list:ash uk's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon Pixma MG5350 +1 more
islandphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
In reply to ash uk, Aug 27, 2012

Thank you Dave. I was just about to re-post with that info. After thinking about it, I re-visited the video and had the sound on from the very begining, which is where it talks about attaching the ring. I still don't like the magnet part. Glenn

islandphotos's gear list:islandphotos's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to islandphotos, Aug 27, 2012

I don't worry about the magnet part in terms of the filter falling off--it looked strong, and the inventor seemed quite aware of that as a potential issue.

I also wonder about the quality of the filters themselves. It seems to me we'd want a decent filter in front of the Zeiss lens, and I don't know if there's a way to verify the quality of those used in the Cheesycam kit (I posted a question about that at his site, but don't have an answer yet). With the Färber kit (I just learned that that's how he writes it!), as well as with the future Lensmate one, we buy our own filters, so we have control over that element.

islandphotos wrote:

Thank you Dave. I was just about to re-post with that info. After thinking about it, I re-visited the video and had the sound on from the very begining, which is where it talks about attaching the ring. I still don't like the magnet part. Glenn

-- hide signature --

Liz

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

Cheesycam via twitter:

https://twitter.com/cheesycam/status/239500885615595520/photo/1

Polarizer on Sony RX100. Amazing results, retains image sharpness. High quality glass filter made in Japan.

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 27, 2012

Thanks, RX100.

I guess that all that remains is some prices to compare, and choosing which filter attachment mode is more appealing.

RX100 wrote:
Cheesycam via twitter:

https://twitter.com/cheesycam/status/239500885615595520/photo/1

Polarizer on Sony RX100. Amazing results, retains image sharpness. High quality glass filter made in Japan.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?
Message from Lensmate

This afternoon I got this message from Lensmate:

Hi Liz,

Yes we are working on a Lensmate filter adapter for the Sony RX100.............it is taking a little longer than expected.

We hope to have it available for pre-order 3rd of September..................shipping later that week.

We will email you as soon as we have this up on our site.

-- hide signature --

Liz

millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Big question is if you can use the magnetic rings on their own

I'd love if the magnet filter rings would simply screw into any 42mm filter of my choice and allow a quick and easy way to mount them.

While I like the looks of the system, I really don't want to be stuck using their brand of choice polarizer etc, and frankly I'm guessing its going to be a lower quality than I'd like. Not saying it will be bad, but I just prefer my B+W and Maruimi filters I've always used.

Likewise, I want to use a r72 IR filter, a 10 stop ND etc which they don't seem to offer

For this reason, it seems the Lensmate system may be the winner as I know they sell just the holders so I can go and use whatever filters I want in the very common 49mm size

nathanhw
Like?
In reply to Liz Z., Aug 28, 2012

That's my inclination, though since none are available yet, from what I can see, I won't decide until I know a little more (including pricing and when they will actually ship). I think there's still a reasonable chance I'll choose the cheesycam solution.

A big factor will be: Can I still fit the camera, with filter, in my pocket -- both size-wise, and does the filter pull off or otherwise have trouble in a small pocket or case, when the camera (with filter on) is being put away or taken out for use?

I really wanted something for the holiday weekend coming up, but clearly that is no longer a possibility.

One thing that's not a factor for me: I don't have a library of existing filters.

One thing in addition to price that is a factor: I might want to get a system which let's me use the filters on other camera's I might have, in the future.

Liz Z. wrote:

Thanks Nathan. So are you more inclined towards Jens Faerber's kit, which has setups for either 52mm or 43mm filters, or the Lensmate kit, which will take 49mm ones?

nathanhw wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

--
Liz

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?
Re: Big question is if you can use the magnetic rings on their own
In reply to millsart, Aug 28, 2012

Actually the Färber system takes either 52 or 43mm filters, your choice (you supply the actual filters, same as with Lensmate), and it is available now. You can write to Jens directly:
Jens Färber faerberj@gmail.com

millsart wrote:

For this reason, it seems the Lensmate system may be the winner as I know they sell just the holders so I can go and use whatever filters I want in the very common 49mm size

-- hide signature --

Liz

nathanhw
Like?

What criteria would one use to decide whether to go with the 52 versus 43mm size?

Liz Z. wrote:

Actually the Färber system takes either 52 or 43mm filters, your choice (you supply the actual filters, same as with Lensmate), and it is available now. You can write to Jens directly:

millsart wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
In reply to nathanhw, Aug 28, 2012

If you already owned a bunch of 52mm filters from something like a m4/3 system you'd probably want to be able to use them

Likewise if you've got lenses that take 52mm or 49mm etc (step up rings are only a few bucks) and would like to be able to use future filter purchases I'd go 52mm

If you don't have any I'd go 43mm as smaller filters are usually a little bit cheaper and there is no real point to the larger sizes with the possible exception of stacking filters, but realistically I doubt anyone is going to be stacking too many filters on a point and shoot

nathanhw wrote:

What criteria would one use to decide whether to go with the 52 versus 43mm size?

Liz Z. wrote:

millsart wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?

Personally I would go with the smaller size, simply because it is closer in size to the diameter of the lens, and won't extend beyond its width. Also, Jens Färber says the 52mm filter might cause shadows when using a flash.

See this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=42316825

In the Cheesycam pictures he seems to be using a 42.5mm filter. Lensmate's kit will use 49mm filters.

I think this all points me to either Cheesycam or the Färber kit. I await a price on the former, and will weigh it against the possibility of having more filter options (though knowing me, I doubt I would need anything more than the circular polarizer, and maybe a neutral density up the road). Jen's 43mm kit costs 30 € shipped to the U.S., plus the cost of filters.

nathanhw wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

nathanhw
Like?
In reply to millsart, Aug 28, 2012

I've soldof most of my slr gear but should look and see whether I still have a cpl or nd filter around.

millsart wrote:

If you already owned a bunch of 52mm filters from something like a m4/3 system you'd probably want to be able to use them

Likewise if you've got lenses that take 52mm or 49mm etc (step up rings are only a few bucks) and would like to be able to use future filter purchases I'd go 52mm

If you don't have any I'd go 43mm as smaller filters are usually a little bit cheaper and there is no real point to the larger sizes with the possible exception of stacking filters, but realistically I doubt anyone is going to be stacking too many filters on a point and shoot

nathanhw wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

millsart wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

RX100
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

The filter has been officially announced, however the first batch has already been sold out.

http://cheesycam.com/new-gear-magfilter-from-carry-speed/

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/magfilter

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to RX100, Aug 28, 2012

I couldn't tell if it was sold out or not yet actually available. I don't think the kit sale was "live" until this morning! It will cost $24.99 for the circular polarizer kit.

RX100 wrote:

The filter has been officially announced, however the first batch has already been sold out.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?
I spoke to CarrySpeed

I just called CarrySpeed, the distributor of this filter, which is called the Magfilter, and I spoke to the inventor/engineer himself (this is not the same person as the one behind Cheesycam--confusing). He said they will actually be for sale at their website ( http://www.carryspeed.com/products/magfilter ) on Thursday 8/30. He suspects they will sell out quickly once they are available on line.

He also said they are using a high quality Japanese multi-coated glass for the filter itself, and that the magnets will in no way have a negative impact on the electronics of the camera.

Liz Z. wrote:

I couldn't tell if it was sold out or not yet actually available. I don't think the kit sale was "live" until this morning! It will cost $24.99 for the circular polarizer kit.

RX100 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads