FZ200 Max. continuos recording time

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions
MSlavis
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
FZ200 Max. continuos recording time
Aug 26, 2012

Hi all,

I am a bit confused at the maximum continuous video recording available on the FZ200...it seems the Panasonic web site/manual may be listing different information (web site say 160 minutes, manual says limited to 30 minutes)...

Can someone who actually has the camera tell me what it is capable for both 1080p60 and 1080p30 in AVCHD recording mode?

I think this is the last thing I'm waiting on to purchase the cam...I wish Panasonic would spell it out clearly.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,937
Like?
Re: FZ200 Max. continuos recording time
In reply to MSlavis, Aug 26, 2012

Despite the table with the longer times,
About half-way down the page, at
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz200/video.html

• [For NTSC Areas] Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [AVCHD] is 29 minutes 59 seconds. (Excluding when [SH] is set) Motion pictures in [MP4] can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds. Also, motion picture recorded continuously in [MP4] is up to 4 GB. • [For European PAL Areas] Motion pictures can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds in European PAL areas. Also, motion picture recorded continuously in [MP4] is up to 4 GB. • The length of recording time depends on the capacity of the SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card. •Use a card with SD Speed Class* with "Class 4" or higher when recording videos. * SD Speed Class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.

Sherm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MSlavis
Like?
In reply to sherman_levine, Aug 26, 2012

Sherm,

Thanks for the info and the link. I was wondering, though, if someone out there who actually has the camera has run a test as kind of a "final confirmation" that they've crippled the video recording functionality this way.

My 5D Mark II has a similar limitation (4GB file size limit). And I told myself I would not buy another cam with video that has this. I'll just keep living with the 5D as our only cam for another 4 years...poor me.

Thanks again,

Mike S.

SamTruax
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?

The only non-camcorder cameras that I can think of that allow beyond the 29 min 59 sec limit are the Panasonic mirrorless cameras like the GH1, GH2, etc. Otherwise I think you are out of luck.
--
Sam

'Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... albeit probably in colour the second time around.'

SamTruax's gear list:SamTruax's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 +4 more
MSlavis
Like?
In reply to SamTruax, Aug 26, 2012

Sam,

Thanks for the info. I looked into the GH2 a couple months back, realized the GH3 was on its way and started waiting for it. When the FZ200 came out I realized it might be a better fit for my "2nd cam" since it seemed to have decent specs all around and the f/2.8 lens at 600mm seemed pretty awesome.

Since it's a mirrorless cam also I was hoping Panasonic would not impose the video limitation. I'm still not sure (for sure) whether the limitation exists here or not with the FZ200.

I may be asking this question too early in the rollout of the cam. I'm still hoping someone who actually has the camera can test out the video to confirm/deny the limitation. Maybe I will go back to the shadows for a couple of months, to see what materializes with the GH3 and also see if someone in the meantime "hacks" the FZ200 to remove the limitation.

This business of crippling cams with video to boost the video cam industry needs to stop. I may just be one person, but I'm sending the message with my wallet. I will no longer buy a dedicated video cam (which always take horrid photos) and I won't buy a new camera with crippled video (which usually take excellent video, but only for "clip" length).

Thanks again,

Mike S.

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 3,934Gear list
Like?

MSlavis wrote:

This business of crippling cams with video to boost the video cam industry needs to stop.

I don't like it either but given the choice between 30 minutes or quality video and unlimited crummy video I would prefer they cripple it based on time rather than on quality.

I have added a signature to my profile but it isn't showing up in my replies. Anyone know what I can check?

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385
Like?
In reply to SamTruax, Aug 26, 2012

SamTruax wrote:

The only non-camcorder cameras that I can think of that allow beyond the 29 min 59 sec limit are the Panasonic mirrorless cameras like the GH1, GH2, etc.

Sam, how about the LX5 and FZ150? The US models both allowed unlimited AVCHD recording at their maximum resolution.

However, if you want a new model, Panny has decided you wil have to do things their way

signed: one unhappy customer

ps: Samsung is announcing an Android camera next week.. let's hope it is good enough to do my B-roll job. My cellphone is already quite good - Sammy's new x10 lens might just do it for me

Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,896
Like?
One Billion Dllar Judgement Against Samsung
In reply to trevmar, Aug 27, 2012

trevmar wrote:

ps: Samsung is announcing an Android camera next week.. let's hope it is good enough to do my B-roll job. My cellphone is already quite good - Sammy's new x10 lens might just do it for me

You haven't heard about the court ruling against Samsung that awarded Apple $1,000,000,000. for patent-infringement, which includes their mobile phones?

I wouldn't count on anything from them being available and there might be a disruption in support for what has already been sold. The court awarded Samsung $0. on a counter-suit they had brought against Apple.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?
In reply to MSlavis, Aug 27, 2012

MSlavis wrote:

. . . My 5D Mark II has a similar limitation (4GB file size limit). And I told myself I would not buy another cam with video that has this.

Thanks again,

Mike S.

I know that all DSLR cameras have a 4 GB maximum size limit for videos, but I thought it strange that such a bridge camera as the FZ200 would also have this limitation. That being said however, I don't understand why limiting video recording to a maximum of 30 minutes is such a negative for some people. In my 5 years of using video, I've never had the need to record more than about 20 minutes of continuous video at one time. Segments are always stitched together for better editing anyway. Except for highly specialized recordings (maybe security reasons), why would one need to be able to shoot more than 30 minutes at a time?

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,413
Like?
In reply to Buzz Lightyear, Aug 28, 2012

Buzz Lightyear wrote:

That being said however, I don't understand why limiting video recording to a maximum of 30 minutes is such a negative for some people. In my 5 years of using video, I've never had the need to record more than about 20 minutes of continuous video at one time. Segments are always stitched together for better editing anyway. Except for highly specialized recordings (maybe security reasons), why would one need to be able to shoot more than 30 minutes at a time?

1. Weddings
2. Concerts
3. Kids Concerts
4. Kids Plays
5. Kids Recitals
6. Anything where you're recording yourself - your own concert/performance/etc.

Basically, anything where you want to set up the camera, start recording, then go back later and edit it.

Even if you're sitting behind the camera, it's annoying to have to neurotically constantly check if it's recording rather than just being able to start it recording and enjoy the performance, then also watch it later on video.

It's super annoying because there's no good reason the video is limited - it's just that it's taxed in Europe, so they make you buy a whole second camera for it.

MSlavis
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Aug 28, 2012

Last year we had a Monarch Butterfly chrysalis that we wanted to catch emerging. You going to be happy sitting there with your camera checking every 15 minutes to stop and re-start the video? I had to dig my Canon HG10 out of mothballs for that...and that's when I put the foot down - "never again".

It may not be an important feature to you, but it is to some. Panasonic, are you listening?????

Mike S.

MSlavis
Like?
In reply to MSlavis, Aug 28, 2012

Hi again all,

Still trying to get this figured out, and saw this posted in an Amazon review:

"It does provide unlimited video recording using AVCHD Progressive. Only limit is your card size, no 29 minute cutoff. The MPEG-4 does have the cutoff, but that is mandated by the type of file created. MPEG-4 creates one file and therefore is limited by FAT32. AVCHD creates multiple linked files so doesn't run up again the file limitations of the cards."

If this is true, that is wonderful news...I may still wait a week or two before ordering with my ear to the ground to see if this is reinforced or contradicted, but I wanted to let everyone reading this thread know that I spotted this information "in the wild".

Thanks,

Mike S.

PaulRivers
Like?
In reply to MSlavis, Aug 31, 2012

trJust wanted to add that I just tried recording 1080p@60fps, and although it's a little messy with avchd creating multiple files, it looks like it recorded for 72 minutes and 16 seconds before stopping (where assumably the battery died - EDIT: actually, my 16gb sd card ran out of capacity at that point - so no idea where the real limit is with a larger card, it's not a battery limitation after all).

That's at 60fps, and with a completely brand new battery (they seem to take a few times of using them and recharging to reach capacity), so it might be longer with other settings - or more importantly it definitely will record more than 30 minutes (more than an hour, actually) of video continuously.

trevmar
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Aug 31, 2012

I have an LX7, and when I switch to FullHD (1080p)(PSH, FSH) in Creative Video mode there is a counter which appears on the screen saying "29 mins 59 seconds". Do you not have that on the FZ200?

I ask this because the FZ150 was OK, without this limitation, so perhaps it has been dropped from the release firmware to induce FZ150 users to upgrade?

trevmar
Like?
In reply to trevmar, Aug 31, 2012

The US User Manual part number VQT4H64 confirms on page 26 that only the MP4 is limited in length with the FZ200.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ200_ADV.PDF

Wow! So should I change to the FZ200 instead of my LX7? It is time to put on my thinking cap, I guess. Thanks to everybody who posted this information It is invaluable for me

PaulRivers
Like?

trevmar wrote:

The US User Manual part number VQT4H64 confirms on page 26 that only the MP4 is limited in length with the FZ200.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ200_ADV.PDF

Wow! So should I change to the FZ200 instead of my LX7? It is time to put on my thinking cap, I guess. Thanks to everybody who posted this information It is invaluable for me

Yeah, if I put the camera into mp4 mode, it says 29:29. But switch to AVCHD, and it changes to a little over 2 hours.

I wonder if mp4 is still time-limited if you have a 64gb sdxc card? Supposedly they run fat64 or something and there's no 4gb file size limit...don't have one to test with though.

trevmar
Like?

PaulRivers wrote:

I wonder if mp4 is still time-limited if you have a 64gb sdxc card? Supposedly they run fat64 or something and there's no 4gb file size limit...don't have one to test with though.

Good point. The 64GB cards are exFAT and don't have a 4GB limit. Probably why the manuals say "30 mins or 4GB" as their limit.

I have a 64GB SDXC card, and will put it into my LX7 tomorrow, to at least check that the 4GB limit is not hard-coded into the firmware. Excellent idea...

MSlavis
Like?

Paulrivers,

Thanks for posting the results of your real-world test, I'm sure this will help lots of us who are on the fence. Now I just need to figure out whether to go for the FZ200 or wait for the GH3 and pay at least twice as much money.

Now that I know that the FZ200 will satisfy my video needs for length, I'm going to look more closely at the samples online to make sure the quality looks good.

I've done that for the IQ, and that's why I'm thinking of waiting for the GH3 a little bit to see how the video is in that cam.

At any rate, a big THANK YOU for actually taking the time to shoot a 60p video and post your results!!!

Mike S.

PaulRivers
Like?

trevmar wrote:

PaulRivers wrote:

Good point. The 64GB cards are exFAT and don't have a 4GB limit. Probably why the manuals say "30 mins or 4GB" as their limit.

I have a 64GB SDXC card, and will put it into my LX7 tomorrow, to at least check that the 4GB limit is not hard-coded into the firmware. Excellent idea...

PaulRivers
Like?
In reply to MSlavis, Aug 31, 2012

MSlavis wrote:

Paulrivers,

Thanks for posting the results of your real-world test, I'm sure this will help lots of us who are on the fence. Now I just need to figure out whether to go for the FZ200 or wait for the GH3 and pay at least twice as much money.

Now that I know that the FZ200 will satisfy my video needs for length, I'm going to look more closely at the samples online to make sure the quality looks good.

I've done that for the IQ, and that's why I'm thinking of waiting for the GH3 a little bit to see how the video is in that cam.

At any rate, a big THANK YOU for actually taking the time to shoot a 60p video and post your results!!!

Mike S.

I'll be posting a boring but verifying video soon, to!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads