Post your WR picture

Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
Post your WR picture
Aug 25, 2012

Hello

It's close before the Photokina 2012, and I'm sure that the news about the new bodys and lens will fall like warm rain over the forum.... until then let's post our pictures, which we only could done thank's to the WR-body-lens-tools from Pentax.

K5 ISO320 / 1/800sec. / f14 withDA WR 18-55mm @40mm.

I did hold the camera very low (with the help of a Pentax Refconverter A ) and raised up the camera after the picture was done. In my case my camera and lens got only little water-splashes, but without to know that the K5 is a WR body and the DA 18-55mm is a WR lens, I never had try this picture.

so if you want...post yours

best regards kikivrany
--
carpe noctem

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Xiaomao
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
Re: Post your WR picture
In reply to kikivrany, Aug 26, 2012

Hi, Kikivrany! I agree to what you said about the WR body and lens. I felt safe when water was going in my direction. In this shot, you could see the water drops splashing on upper left side of the much debated DA18-135.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Yang

Xiaomao's gear list:Xiaomao's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Leica M9 Pentax K-5 IIs
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to Xiaomao, Aug 26, 2012
 leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
In reply to leopold, Aug 26, 2012

Haven't had much rain here because of the very high altitude and the lack of humidity, but does this count?

The link for the video that was taken from is in my signature, as well as right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded

This was taken by me in Afghanistan during a dust storm at approximately 1300, a time when it is so bright it is still painful wearing sunglasses at times.

This was also taken by me, but in a thunderstorm - the first few photos were ruined because there was so much water on the lens element that I didn't notice at first. Thankfully I did later and cleaned it.

Also, came across these as well ( not my photos ). These are either of the cameras themselves, or pictures taken by Pentax DSLR's in austere environments.

Please grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show :

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Heie2
Like?
In reply to Heie2, Aug 26, 2012

It got a bit too long so here's the rest (continuation of above):

And finish it off with some good ole' Pentax Marketing

Again, these are all either of Pentax DSLR's, or by Pentax DSLR's.

-Heie
--
Need affordable weather sealing in a DSLR you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded

Take a look at my deployment to Afghanistan:

pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/196667-update-number-eleven-my-afghan-deployment-new-post.html
(you will have to copy and paste that into your browser's address bar)

Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,332Gear list
Like?
Heie2, you win....

That's a great collection of bad weather, i see that you included my photo of my DFA 100mm Macro WR
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Bananasplit
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
Re: Heie2, you win....

My friend has one, and I am thinking to buy one, but I would not take the risk to test it. I just wonder how much the K5 is resistant to water and dust and how much is advertisement/legend.

Great pics!

Bananasplit's gear list:Bananasplit's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Heie2
Like?
In reply to Bananasplit, Aug 26, 2012

Bananasplit wrote:

My friend has one, and I am thinking to buy one, but I would not take the risk to test it. I just wonder how much the K5 is resistant to water and dust and how much is advertisement/legend.

Great pics!

I can assure you it is not legend. Have you seen this video?

And from all those different sources, you still don't trust it and chalk it up to "possibly just advertisement/legend" ?

With Pentax, you can be confident in its weather sealing.

-Heie

-- hide signature --

pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/196667-update-number-eleven-my-afghan-deployment-new-post.html

Heie2
Like?

leopold wrote:

That's a great collection of bad weather, i see that you included my photo of my DFA 100mm Macro WR
--
Leopold

Thanks Leopold!

And yea, I did a Google search and I opened that page without realizing it, and was brought straight to your blog

Great stuff btw.

-Heie
--

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?
Convincing and Amazing!
-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
In reply to kikivrany, Aug 27, 2012

Here's one with the 100mm D FA WR macro in near freezing rain in January.

jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,403Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heie2, Aug 27, 2012

Umm you got one of my pics in there as well, its OK

Its the K20D sitting in the snow; I have more out there. I also made some movies showing me putting the K20D through some tough weather. You just don't read of Pentax bodies leaking much, not much at all. Like winning the lottery to find a leakier.

They are tough as well!

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
capturef22
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208
Like?

Great theme; awesome collection of images!

Thanks, everyone for posting.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52664228@N04/

kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
Thanks ! ... and a question

Hello

Xiaomao, Heie2 and Paphios, thanks for posting your wonderful WR-pictures !

...and Heie2, thanks also for make up and posting this great collection of WR-pictures (and Video) !

...and I have a question:

It look's like that it's no problem for the O-ring-seals when I zoom the lens in and out during a rain, but what happend when I zoom in and out the lens when it's full of fine-sand ? Are the O-ring-seals so good, that they can wipe of this fine-sand ?

best regards kikivrany
--
carpe noctem

Heie2
Like?
Re: Thanks ! ... and a question

kikivrany wrote:

Hello

Xiaomao, Heie2 and Paphios, thanks for posting your wonderful WR-pictures !

...and Heie2, thanks also for make up and posting this great collection of WR-pictures (and Video) !

...and I have a question:

It look's like that it's no problem for the O-ring-seals when I zoom the lens in and out during a rain, but what happend when I zoom in and out the lens when it's full of fine-sand ? Are the O-ring-seals so good, that they can wipe of this fine-sand ?

best regards kikivrany
--
carpe noctem

Hey Kikivrany!

You saw the video, so using that as an example, I can say that I never had any sand/dust have issues with my lenses. What you saw in that video is not realistic for daily shooting, so I wouldn't worry about that - it was an extreme demonstration to prove a point. Assume that did happen though? I'd take a bottle of water or my shirt if I didn't have any around, and try to get as much dust off the inner telescoping parts as possible, and still zoom in and out. The lenses are not only sealed as a whole, but each chamber is individually sealed for maximum protection.

The only issue I had was some dust/small sand getting in the dials (front/rear) which came out after a few spins - no lasting effects at all. All the buttons and panel seals held up perfectly. Also, the reason the flash stayed down on the K-7 is 1) the spring is weaker than the K-5's, and 2) some sand got under the housing, which jammed it. The flash is sealed, but the space between the pop-up and the body is not (obviously), so once you get it out of there, no issues. But again, remember how much crap I put on those cameras lol.

That was over a month ago (almost 2), and not a single issue with either camera

Hope this helps

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Paphios
Like?

I'm on the US east coast now so I haven't shot much in dust and sand in recent years. It is my understanding that the WR lenses are mositure resistant while the DA* lenses are moisture and dust resistant.

Heie2
Like?
In reply to Paphios, Aug 27, 2012

Paphios wrote:

I'm on the US east coast now so I haven't shot much in dust and sand in recent years. It is my understanding that the WR lenses are mositure resistant while the DA* lenses are moisture and dust resistant.

If look above in some of the pictures, I think it's pretty apparent the DFA 100 WR, 18-135 WR and 18-55 WR are more than just "moisture resistant." I'd assess them as "Sealed from Water, except for full submersion; dust resistant but not sealed from dust entirely" Yes it's a long classification, but I think it get's my point across.

And I while I don't take it out too much, I still haven't had any issue with my DFA 100 macro keeping Afghan baby powder-style dust out, and it's had some pretty good coatings of it.

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Bananasplit
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heie2, Aug 27, 2012

Heie2 wrote:

If look above in some of the pictures, I think it's pretty apparent the DFA 100 WR, 18-135 WR and 18-55 WR are more than just "moisture resistant." I'd assess them as "Sealed from Water, except for full submersion; dust resistant but not sealed from dust entirely" Yes it's a long classification, but I think it get's my point across.

Have you tried both the 18-135 WR and 18-55 WR? if so, can you compare build and optical performances? thanks

Bananasplit's gear list:Bananasplit's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Paphios
Like?
In reply to Heie2, Aug 28, 2012

That's definitely a pretty significant test of dust resistance. Glad to hear its wroking so well for you.

I've had the 100 f2.8 WR out in the rain a few times. I enjoy shooting things that are covered with water droplets with it.

Heie2
Like?
In reply to Bananasplit, Aug 28, 2012

Bananasplit wrote:

Heie2 wrote:

Have you tried both the 18-135 WR and 18-55 WR? if so, can you compare build and optical performances? thanks

I personally have never used the 18-135, however pictures I have seen from it have been stellar. I have seen some "official" and "professional" reviews state it was very poor (photozone, for one), however real-world tests from the majority of users seem to indicate that it is an excellent lens. Yes, there will be some poor IQ because of the zoom range, relative low cost (compared to DA*'s), and compactness of the lens (less glass/smaller apertures). But honestly, most of the pictures I've seen from it have been very sharp - surprisingly so in fact.

Regarding the 18-55 WR - I no longer have it (I felt there was no need since upgrading to the DA* 16-50), however it was my first lens. I even had two of them that each came with my K-7 and K-5 as the same WR kit each. For the price--which is as low as $50 in some kit bundles--it is OUTSTANDING. To me the kit lens only really lacked a fast max aperture (3.5-5.6 vs 2.8 throughout). The IQ wasn't the sharpest, but it was PLENTY sharp when you take into consideration 1)how cheap it is, and 2) how compact it is - there's NEVER a reason to not throw it in your bag and have a weather sealed combo should you need one. Feel free to check this out: http://pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=3790 A collection of shots taken with that lens - and some excellent ones there.

I know I kind of squirted around directly getting to your question regarding optical quality, however you have to realize it's just a kit lens - you aren't going to get DA* quality (although the 18-135 is certainly much sharper than the 18-55). However, for the price and size (and the 18-135 isn't much bigger), there's no excuse to not own at least the 18-55 (if you don't have WR lenses and need/want one) - it's a fantastic little lens.

Hope this helps

-Heie

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads