Shooting Gun Muzzle Blast Question

Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions
kay4401
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Shooting Gun Muzzle Blast Question
Aug 25, 2012

Took my D7000 to a shooting range recently. I would have been happy to get a few shots with the shell casing being ejected (and I did get some pics of this), but after the fact, I noticed I had actually captured the muzzle blast in one of the pics. That day, I simply set the camera to its max frame rate, i.e., 6 fps for D7000, and tried to anticipate when the shooter would fire. This pic I got unexpectedly and purely by luck. But, if I was to try and duplicate such a pic intentionally, how would you do it? How would you plan to get such a shot showing the muzzle blast? Any tips?

kay4401's gear list:kay4401's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NativeTxn
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Shooting Gun Muzzle Blast Question
In reply to kay4401, Aug 25, 2012

I would think that what you did was probably the best approach. I.e. put the camera at its highest FPS rate and hope for the best.

If you shoot 6 FPS, then each shot takes .1667 seconds. I am not sure exactly how long a muzzle blast lasts, but it is not very long at all. Think about it this way - from the time the firing pin clicks to the time the bullet hits the end of the range is less than one second, so the entire process is probably done before your camera has finished its 6 shots. The muzzle blast is visible for a fraction of a second - that is why with many guns, you don't really even notice it that much with just the naked eye.

If you think about the numbers in the sense of bullet velocity, muzzle blast timing, time from firing pin causing the gun to fire and the bullet hitting the end of the range, etc., then I think that luck likely plays a VERY large role in catching the muzzle blast.

My guess is it is a numbers game - the more times you try, the more likely it will be that you will be able to recreate an image similar to that. But it would not surprise me if it took you multiple trips to the range to catch the same type of shot again.

BTW, REALLY cool picture.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
uncleskull
Senior MemberPosts: 1,903
Like?
sound trigger
In reply to kay4401, Aug 26, 2012

Google camera ax. They also have a flickr page of photos.

-- hide signature --

unc

~ The only things stopping us from reaching our goals are the limitations we place on ourselves ~

jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
In reply to NativeTxn, Aug 26, 2012

NativeTxn wrote:

I would think that what you did was probably the best approach. I.e. put the camera at its highest FPS rate and hope for the best.

If you shoot 6 FPS, then each shot takes .1667 seconds. I am not sure exactly how long a muzzle blast lasts, but it is not very long at all. Think about it this way - from the time the firing pin clicks to the time the bullet hits the end of the range is less than one second, so the entire process is probably done before your camera has finished its 6 shots. The muzzle blast is visible for a fraction of a second - that is why with many guns, you don't really even notice it that much with just the naked eye.

One of those triggers for firing the shutter when lightning strikes.

I'm not sure if it would work or not, but i guess you could email a manufacturer and ask.

Another option (depending on the range) is turn off the lights, open the shutter, have the shooter shoot(the gun), close the shutter, turn on the light.

Actually if you have the camera on a tripod you might be able to do it with the light on.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Larold
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
In reply to kay4401, Aug 26, 2012

I haven't tried this, but if you are the shooter and the photographer, you could rig up a footswitch...like from a guitar pedal...a simple thing, and step on it when you pull the trigger. Or even put your toe on the infrared remote trigger...

-- hide signature --

Larold

XLTimbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Similar result
In reply to Larold, Aug 29, 2012

I took my girlfriend to the range for the first time and wanted to get some pictures for her. I took my small compact camera and was pretty stoked to get this shot.

-- hide signature --
 XLTimbo's gear list:XLTimbo's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621
Like?
Try this Rig
In reply to kay4401, Aug 29, 2012

This might be too slow, but it's an interesting DIY project that looks achievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j00azq8THKY

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads